Admin. Important. On promoting illegal software

Gene

I'm sending this as an administrative message along with sending it in the thread where this problem is currently occurring.  I have slightly expanded this message with another explanatory comment.

I've stated before, as much as two or three days ago, that promoting illegal software is not, I emphatically repeat not, allowed on list.  This is not my policy.  It is the policy of the list owner and it is standard policy on a lot of lists.  Gratuitously mentioning and impliedly recommending illegal software is not allowed.

If someone wants to express a general opinion about when it is ethically acceptable to use illegal software, as I understand list policy, that is allowed.  Promoting or discussing specific programs is not.

I support this list policy.  It doesn't matter what my personal feelings are about when and if it is justifiable to use illegal software as an ethical question.  As moderator, I am responsible for enforcing list policy.  The policy is in place not because of the views of those who run the list on the the question.  It is in place because promoting illegal software exposes the list to legal liability.  If people continue to disregard my warnings on this subject, they will be moderated temporarily.  I'm sorry to have to send this kind of stern message.  I moderate with a lite toch whenever possible.  But it's time for such discussions and implied endorsements to stop.

Gene, Moderator

ely.r@...

Gene

Thanks for this post. I have been wondering over the last few days what the position of the list owner would be on supporting the illegal piracy of software. NVDA comes free to those who cannot afford the cost of a screen reader. NVDA has a more than adequate selection of synthesizers as part of its install. Our visual conditions, whatever they may be, do not include an exemption for theft.

Again thanks for your reminder,

Rick

[...]

The question isn't whether NVDA has adequate selection of synthesizers nor whether it is free.  The question is whether the list should be exposed to legal liability by the promotion of any kind of illegal software.

If someone promoted illegal software to perform OCR, the same restriction would apply or to an illegal word processing program.

[...]

No I fully understand the list position. The issue is theft.

However when it comes to software, it is easy to convince one’s self that it doesn’t really hurt anyone as they will never know. Sorry if this sounds pretentious , but I have been and friends have been on the opposite side of this issue, and it can make a real difference for a developer who puts in enormous time creating software and knowing that a percent of copies are simply Pirated.

Rick

[...]

I'm not taking a position on when and whether it is ever justifiable to use illegal software.  This is a different question than protection of the list.  Therefore, I have only addressed the question from a list standpoint and not addressed any of my personal opinions about the broader ethical question.

[...]

Devin Prater

The problem with that position is that the current illegal copy wasn’t made legally in the first place. Sure, it uses Eloquence libraries, but Nuance isn’t selling Eloquence themselves. Yes, there is a legal copy, and sure maybe the use of the illegal version may hurt their sales, but those who use the illegal add-on aren’t pirating a legal add-on, they’re pirating the Eloquence DLL’s and libraries. Technical, yes, but it’s a distinction I feel must be taken into account. I’m not saying that it is right to use the add-on, even if Nuance doesn’t sell Eloquence to end-users, and barely makes anything with the licenses, which I think must be pretty strict owing to the DRM on PC and Android.

On Jul 16, 2018, at 1:03 PM, ely.r@... wrote:

[...]

You guys never scease on this list to amaze me! Enough said.

On 07/16/2018 02:20 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Perhaps you mean illegally obtained software rather than illegal software?