Beware anniversary update for...

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It will delete any Email client like the recently hacked version of Outlook express without even asking, including it seems, all the email in it, or at least orphaning it off. also deleted my copy of Classic Shell as well.
Said it was not compatible but I understand a new version is on their web site.
It also seems to hve some issues with some of my existing programs which tend to lock up as far as it is concerned.

It also put Edge in as the running browser and left me to log into their outlook web mail app, which I cannot stand.
However gradually getting it sorted out and I guess one can go back to the earlier build if one wants to, but its not clear how this is achieved at the moment. I only have 10 on a test machine right now but I'd be very annoyed about its behaviour toward old or supposedly non working software if it was a machine, say with all my emails on it.
Does anyone know if it does this with Live mail versions as well?

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Jacob Kruger

On my machine, it only seemed to have taken off classicShell, but, I reinstalled it from latest version off their site, and working fine now.

Besides that, haven't had any real issues with it as of yet?

And, for example, while suppose this might have to do with running latest master snapshot of NVDa, or windows 10 anniversary itself, the command line console is back to where it used to be a while ago - reading out text to me instead of trying to spell out characters as they were being printed, and, that's quite a good thing for me in terms of when want to do various things, including playing around with python programming language, since have been having to use review cursors to re-read the screen contents, where now can just listen to it the first time round, and then review it if I want to.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2016-08-07 7:22 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
[...]

Hmm, well after lots of problems with defender and other sundry programs falling over for no apparent reason I've gone back to the old build.
I'll need to find a way to stop it deleting old email clients and also install classic shell before attempting it again, but I do have the little program that forces the update so I guess I can try it any time
I don't understand why its crashing stuff though.It was also very sloweven with the latest next snap.
I never got as far as command prompt or power shell.

Defender would get to 50 percent of a scan then stick and whn I cheecked an unkown error had occured, please install any windows updates reboot and try again.

On 2016-08-07 7:22 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
[...]

Brian Gaff asked, "Does anyone know if it does this with Live mail versions as well?"

The Anniversary update carried over Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail 2012, and Outlook 2010 on my machine without any issue at all.

It is no surprise that it archives Outlook Express, which has not had official support in years and which runs only as a hacked version, likely using the original code base that Windows would recognize as not "automatically" compatible with Windows 10.  There are a bunch of application programs which are archived because their developers have not updated their code with what Windows 10 requires to know that it is "officially compatible" with Windows 10.  I've lost utilities like CPU-ID and a couple of other programs that will run just fine under Windows 10, but whose developers did not change the code to allow Windows 10 to recognize that it's OK to carry it along.  A lot of this stuff can be reinstalled and run just fine.  If you're accessing your e-mail using IMAP, regardless of the client, you lose nothing if that client gets archived as part of an upgrade process.

Brian Crabtree <pandbcrabtree@...>

Windows Live Mail 2012 is not removed by the upgrade process.

On 8 Aug 2016, at 15:24, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

Although the earlier menu version of Windows Live Mail may be removed, according to comments about how Windows determines whether to remove things.  The menu version of the program was not intended for use with Windows 7 and higher.  Some people use this old version in Windows 7 and higher, however.

Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 10:53 AM

[...]

ken lawrence

Hi list just installed the anniversary update yesterday.  have no problems with live mail.  it doesn't seem to read the edge browser right like blind bargains had suggested, but that might be because NVDA and or jaws must be updated first.  today someone on this list told me during a game chat on out of sight that there is a developers update to NVDA since no update has come up when I hit check for updates I'm guessin    g that any update is forthcoming.  haven't scanned with defendor yet but so far update works fine.

Well the next branch is the most up to date on the snapshots page for nvda.

I've wound my 10 machine back at the moment due to problems with it removing the Outlook Express hacked version. The thing is is there any way in the update where you can tell 10 to not remove software it does not like and if it fails to work afterwards you can take it out yourself. I have a feeling this tendency to remove without asking has corrupted the registry which is why all the other issues have occured.
I don't want to have to clean install it, if it gives problems I'll stay on the old build, so I did wonder if I leave it will windows updates over time effectively make it into this version without deleting stuff. I've rea Microsofts mutterings and I'm none the wiser at all.
Seems to me that there could be any number of new builds over time resulting in many different versions of windows 10 with a lot of different issues with screenreaders depending on the version core in use.