Topics

NVDA vs. Narrator: NVDA still wins.

John Isige

So I listened to a very nice podcast about one of the new Narrator features on the Insiders build, the start guide. I fired up Narrator, just to see what it was like. Opened Firefox, and Narrator pretty much wouldn't read or navigate a site, Youtube as it happens. Popped NVDA back on, and it worked just fine.

Not to turn this into a Narrator thread, but does Narrator only work, or mostly work, with Microsoft apps? I periodically test Narrator because it's there so why not? Plus Windows is integrating it more, e.g. you can supposedly install 10 from scratch using Narrator, Narrator in safe mode, and so on. I figure that makes it worth getting familiar with if for no other reason than I'll know how to use it when it's the thing I'll need to use. But it's gonna be hard to become familiar with it if it doesn't work with chunks of the stuff I use. Is there a Narrator list or something, like this list basically? I tried looking around for something like "using Microsoft narrator with Firefox", but I just get stuff about using Narrator generally or occasional reviews of using older versions of Narrator.

I'm thankful Microsoft is making accessibility a bigger priority and giving us things like installation and safe mode, well I've never really tried either but you know, I'm glad they're there if something comes up. But for me, Narrator's nowhere near NVDA. I know some people have implied that it is, and I'm not trying to make this a fight or anything. So I'm sort of trying to find out, you know does all of this great functionality come from sticking solely to Microsoft's stuff? Because I don't get the hype. I can't imagine using it as my primary screen reader for any length of time. People say it's getting closer to things like NVDA. But for me, I just don't see it. Am I missing something? Because right now I think my dream scenario would be NVDA from power on, or as close as it could be managed.

try chrome

from what I understand it is doable with narator or at least most of it is.

--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Sarah k Alawami

I have used narrator wiht firefox, chrome and edge. All work ok, some better thanothrs. I also use narrator with stream labs and obs.

On Jul 16, 2018, at 6:44 PM, The Wolf <hank.smith966@...> wrote:

[...]

what is stream labs and obs?

On 7/16/2018 9:22 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
[...]

Akshaya Choudhary

As far as overall functionality goes, narrator is nowhere near NVDA. NVDA is far superior when it comes to navigating third party applications and complex websites on the internet. Plus, while using productivity applications like word and excel, NVDA is much superior. In fact, I would claim that NVDA is  at leas on par with JAWS, if not better. I have Both JAWS and NVDA on my system, and of course narrator, but I rarely use anything other than NVDA. And, due to its add on support and open source nature, it will get better and better. I can say things like cloud support and high quality voice performance at high speeds are not far ahead.
regards
Sociohack

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Try Narrator with Chrome. I find firefox is officially awful now.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yews I noticed this hype from Microsoft. they have started visiting visually impaired charities etc, extolling the virtues of out of the box accessibility in demos, but you are right, they are always using Microsoft software. I guess it makes sense for them to get narrator fast and working with in house stuff before tackling third party things, and of course one of their latest things is similar key sequences to other screenreaders we all know.
Ahem.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I'm using water fox inwindows 7, its so much faster toopen pages than Firefox.
[...]

Narrator and chrome actually work a lot better than nva. In fact I do use that more often. It depends on what I need it for. But yeah streamlabs and obs work better with narrator as I can actually read the labels the devs don’t have for nvda. It’s odd.

On Jul 17, 2018, at 4:47 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:

I'm using water fox inwindows 7, its so much faster toopen pages than Firefox.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@...>
[...]

Honestly, I'm not knocking them for trying. I don't see myself switching
from NVDA even if Narrator gets to be a viable screen reader. But we
should want it to be and probably get familiar with it, because it's
part of the OS. I'm sure there could be situations where not even NVDA
as a portable copy can be run, so in that case, you'd have a screen
reader that can't be unintentionally blocked by IMO valid security
policies. The more choices we can have, the better.

I should have said, since somebody suggested scan mode, I did get
Narrator to read Firefox technically, in fact what I wanted to test was
jumping by headings in a webpage with 'h' in scan mode. NVDA does that
just fine, e.g. searching on Youtube and hitting 'h' to move to each new
video. Narrator pauses for like a second and says "no next heading".
I'll try it in Edge and Chrome probably, but it also doesn't seem to
read mail in Thunderbird. I guess I could try setting up Microsoft's
mail thingy since all of my accounts are IMAP, but then I feel like I
shouldn't have to put in a ton of work to switch apps, even temporarily,
just to learn another screen reader. If it doesn't work with what I'm
using, that means it doesn't work, as far as I'm concerned.

It was interesting to see the contrast, I can fire up NVDA and it just
works with my stuff, and honestly there's not a whole lot I run into
that it can't handle. I think Microsoft has done a lot with Narrator,
but IMO it's still got a long way to go before it's any sort of viable
alternative. I hope it gets there, and honestly I feel like they're
really trying to work on that, at least so far. It's certainly come a
long way from XP where it didn't really do all that much. But even now,
what a contrast between it and something like NVDA. I will say though,
I'm glad it's adopting keystrokes. The more of a standard we have, the
better. The less I have to go "oh wait, this is Windows and screen
reader X so I have to do B instead of A" means the easier it is for me
to get more stuff done, e.g. if every screen reader using a keyboard has
'h' for moving through headings, then I already know how to navigate
websites. So to my mind, that's actually what we want to see.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Isige" <gwynn@...>
[...]

I couldn't get it to save my book marks in the respective folder no matter how many times I told it to this is one of the huge huge reasons why I don't use water fox of course if I can rfix this issue then I would go back to water fox

Hank

.
--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Porting bookmarks, cookies and history from Chrome to Firefox and back
again (stable versions) works great. Then just port Waterfox from one
of them. Be sure to install several browser variants so you can do
that. I'm sure it will work.

On 7/17/18, The Wolf <hank.smith966@...> wrote:
[...]

As I'm on Windows 7, NVDA all the way for me.