Lost the pound sign

Sakina

Dear Gene and friends,

Thank you for your help regarding adding new email address in my people app.

I am sorry for I am not too clever and am still trying to figure it out. Sadly, I do not have many addresses and therefore would be happy doing it manually.

For now I am cutting and pasting the address in the to field.

Now today please I have lost my pound sign in my word document. I always used to press shift key and press number 3 for the pound sign.

Now when I press shift key and number 3 it keeps saying number.

I do not know what I must have pressed accidently on the key board   as I am one hundred % user of keyboard and do not know  what to do.

I will greatly appreciate any help.

Always thanking you all

Sakina

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ian Blackburn

When the computer says the word number in that situation it means the pound sign

On 18 Jul 2018, at 10:18 pm, Sakina <sakina.gable@...> wrote:

Dear Gene and friends,

Thank you for your help regarding adding new email address in my people app.

I am sorry for I am not too clever and am still trying to figure it out. Sadly, I do not have many addresses and therefore would be happy doing it manually.

For now I am cutting and pasting the address in the to field.

Now today please I have lost my pound sign in my word document. I always used to press shift key and press number 3 for the pound sign.

Now when I press shift key and number 3 it keeps saying number.

I do not know what I must have pressed accidently on the key board   as I am one hundred % user of keyboard and do not know  what to do.

I will greatly appreciate any help.

Always thanking you all

Sakina

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Antony Stone

It sounds like your computer has switched from thinking it has a UK keyboard
layout (which has a pound sign on shift-3) to a US layout (which has a hash
symbol on shift-3, and is often read as "number").

To confirm this, what do you get by pressing shift-2?

A UK layout will give you double quote marks; a US layout will give you an
"at" sign.

Antony.

--
If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong oxen or
1024 chickens?

- Seymour Cray, pioneer of supercomputing

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Chris

That’s odd, mine says pound sign as it should

I guess you are using US keyboard layout rather than the UK keyboard

[...]

Friend,

For 7 years I have been using the same keyboard. It I am sure is not US keyboard.

Since last night, it always did the proper action.

When I just want letter 3 it gave and still gives letter 3

And used to with shift key give me # pound sign

But now when I need pound sign instead it says number.

Sakina

Letter 3 by itself.

[...]

I have no idea why "pound sign" gets announced sometimes while "number" gets announced others, but they're the same thing.

I was thrown the first time I heard someone refer to '#' as the pound sign rather than the number sign.  Now, of course, we have "hashtag" to add to the mix.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

pound sign and number sign re the same symbol.

[...]

Peter Beasley

Change it in the dictionary.

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Give alt-shift a try…

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Not unless its the wrong keyboard map it certainly says pound here!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

On 18 Jul 2018, at 10:18 pm, Sakina <sakina.gable@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Gene and friends,
Thank you for your help regarding adding new email address in my people app.
I am sorry for I am not too clever and am still trying to figure it out. Sadly, I do not have many addresses and therefore would be happy doing it manually.
For now I am cutting and pasting the address in the to field.
Now today please I have lost my pound sign in my word document. I always used to press shift key and press number 3 for the pound sign.
Now when I press shift key and number 3 it keeps saying number.
I do not know what I must have pressed accidently on the key board as I am one hundred % user of keyboard and do not know what to do.
I will greatly appreciate any help.
Always thanking you all
Sakina

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

No they are not in the UK number is what we call hash, and its on an entirely different key.
It sounds to me like the computer thinks it in the usa all of a sudden.
[...]

Nononono...
I suspect it is actually putting the number sign in the document.
When in word look at the language in use for the spellchecker and see what it says. My guess is it will say English US.
However I do not think I've ever had windows itself change languages without doing it on purpose.
What we need is an expert on this here. Changing what it says won't make it put the right character into a document at all. Don't mess with the dictionary, its just compounding the problem.

Sakina, can you send me an attached document with the symbol in it that you get where pound used to be, and also type the same thing into the message body as well, in case its only happening in the word program.
This is a £ ie pound sign and this is a # ie hash or number sign.

[...]

I'd not know how this could be changed accidentally. Would she be likely to have system restore on and be able to go back to a couple of days ago, or is it off in 10 by default. Even then, I'm not sure it has any effect on the installed keyboard language. i have had issues in the past with word deciding to use American english templates for documents for no good reason which really fouls up the spell checker big time!

[...]

I am not suggesting that your keyboard itself has changed - I suggested that
what your computer thinks the layout of the keyboard is has changed.

My girlfriend regularly uses a computer whigh has a UK keyboard, but Windows
is deliberately set to German keyboard layout, so she gets the German symbols
when she presses keys which happen to have something else written on the
keytops. Being blind, she doesn't care what's written on the keytops, and
neither does the computer - it just thinks "I've been told I have a German
keyboard layout, therefore those are the symbols you get when you press keys".

I ask again, what do you get when you press shift-2?

Double quotation marks would indicate a UK layout; at-sign would indicate a US
layout.

Regards,

Antony.

On Wednesday 18 July 2018 at 16:42:10, Sakina wrote:

Friend,
For 7 years I have been using the same keyboard. It I am sure is not US
keyboard. Since last night, it always did the proper action.
When I just want letter 3 it gave and still gives letter 3
And used to with shift key give me # pound sign
But now when I need pound sign instead it says number.
Sakina
Letter 3 by itself.
--
Why is "dylexia" so difficult to spell, and why can I never remember "aphasia"
when I want to?

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Sarah k Alawami

Pound is number sign. So you did not lose it.

On Jul 18, 2018, at 7:18 AM, Sakina <sakina.gable@...> wrote:

Dear Gene and friends,
Thank you for your help regarding adding new email address in my people app.
I am sorry for I am not too clever and am still trying to figure it out. Sadly, I do not have many addresses and therefore would be happy doing it manually.
For now I am cutting and pasting the address in the to field.
Now today please I have lost my pound sign in my word document. I always used to press shift key and press number 3 for the pound sign.
Now when I press shift key and number 3 it keeps saying number.
I do not know what I must have pressed accidently on the key board   as I am one hundred % user of keyboard and do not know  what to do.
I will greatly appreciate any help.
Always thanking you all
Sakina

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Antony Stone

This is not true on a UK keyboard.

Antony.

On Wednesday 18 July 2018 at 18:00:10, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Pound is number sign. So you did not lose it.
--
Please apologise my errors, since I have a very small device.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Chris

Ok try this

Windows key+spacebar

This should switch the keyboard language to uk English, which I believe you wanted

[...]

Hitting windows+spacebar will change keyboard language

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

> It sounds like your computer has switched from thinking it has a UK

> keyboard

> layout (which has a pound sign on shift-3) to a US layout (which has a

> hash

> symbol on shift-3, and is often read as "number").

> To confirm this, what do you get by pressing shift-2?

> A UK layout will give you double quote marks; a US layout will give you an

> "at" sign.

> Antony.

> On Wednesday 18 July 2018 at 16:18:29, Sakina wrote:

>> Dear Gene and friends,

>> Thank you for your help regarding adding new email address in my people

>> app. I am sorry for I am not too clever and am still trying to figure it

>> out. Sadly, I do not have many addresses and therefore would be happy

>> doing it manually. For now I am cutting and pasting the address in the to

>> field.

>> Now today please I have lost my pound sign in my word document. I always

>> used to press shift key and press number 3 for the pound sign. Now when I

>> press shift key and number 3 it keeps saying number.

>> I do not know what I must have pressed accidently on the key board   as I

>> am one hundred % user of keyboard and do not know  what to do. I will

>> greatly appreciate any help.

>> Always thanking you all

>> Sakina

> --

> If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong

> oxen or

> 1024 chickens?

> - Seymour Cray, pioneer of supercomputing

>                                                   Please reply to the

> list;

>                                                         please *don't* CC

> me.

Rui Fontes

?The problem is that NVDA have changed how the symbol is named...

/The # sign is now read as Number... /To change that, iy is necessary go to NVDA menu, Preferences, Punctuation/symbol pronunciation... and change it there...

Rui Fontes

Hitting windows+spacebar will change keyboard language
> It sounds like your computer has switched from thinking it has a UK

> keyboard

> layout (which has a pound sign on shift-3) to a US layout (which has a

> hash

> symbol on shift-3, and is often read as "number").

> To confirm this, what do you get by pressing shift-2?

> A UK layout will give you double quote marks; a US layout will give
you an

> "at" sign.

> Antony.

> On Wednesday 18 July 2018 at 16:18:29, Sakina wrote:

>> Dear Gene and friends,

>> Thank you for your help regarding adding new email address in my people

>> app. I am sorry for I am not too clever and am still trying to figure it

>> out. Sadly, I do not have many addresses and therefore would be happy

>> doing it manually. For now I am cutting and pasting the address in
the to

>> field.

>> Now today please I have lost my pound sign in my word document. I always

>> used to press shift key and press number 3 for the pound sign. Now
when I

>> press shift key and number 3 it keeps saying number.

>> I do not know what I must have pressed accidently on the key board
as I

>> am one hundred % user of keyboard and do not know  what to do. I will

>> greatly appreciate any help.

>> Always thanking you all

>> Sakina

> --

> If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong

> oxen or

> 1024 chickens?

> - Seymour Cray, pioneer of supercomputing

>                                                   Please reply to the

> list;

>                                                         please
*don't* CC

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
This is a £ ie pound sign and this is a # ie hash or number sign.
Er, while you're not wrong that the pounds sterling sign is referred to as the pound sign, the symbol used at the start of a hashtag, often referred to as a number sign, is also referred to, and not infrequently, as the pound sign [programmers tend to do this a lot, as do people in telecommunications].

I do not believe the issue is with the pounds sterling symbol, but because the original poster was used to hearing # announced as "pound sign" and it's now being announced as "number."

I also just tried changing my keyboard from English, US, to English UK (UK Keyboard) and it is making no difference whatsoever in how # is being pronounced (number) or £ is being pronounced (pounds sterling) while it does change what gets typed when SHIFT+Number Row 2 is pressed.

           ~ Richard Dehmel