Topics

VFO not complimentary about NVDA

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have just listened to the latest issue of Techtalk from the RNIB in the uk on Audioboom, and there is an interview with the software man at VFO about what they sell and future plans, and the guy asked him about NVDA Though not actually trashing it, he used that old ploy that one of the programmers has now left to go to Mozilla and nobody will install NVDA in a business system because its open source etc. anyway, go and have a listen and see what you think. I guess his job is to big up his own company, but I noticed, dear old Dolphin never even got mentioned!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Sarah k Alawami

Oh come on. I’ve not ben using freedom rash tiva's products now for 8 years and I’m quite happy with it. I do talk to employers though and they say I either use jaws or nothing at all, they don’t want to install nvda on their systems. I explain what it is, and even my services here don’t want to deal with nvda even though i’ve brought it up. They don’t like open source. I wish that people would quit using freedom trash tiva’s stuff and switch to nvda, it is over all the best experience and getting better on a daily basis.

On Jul 18, 2018, at 8:33 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I have just listened to the latest issue of Techtalk from the RNIB in the uk on Audioboom, and there is an interview with the software man at VFO about what they sell and future plans, and the guy asked him about NVDA Though not actually trashing it, he used that old ploy that one of the programmers has now left to go to Mozilla and nobody will install NVDA in a business system because its open source etc. anyway, go and have a listen and see what you think. I guess his job is to big up his own company, but I noticed, dear old Dolphin never even got mentioned!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Mallard

Couldn't agree more. But human stupidity is hard to crack... lol

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 18/07/2018 18:03, Sarah k Alawami ha scritto:
[...]

mikolaj holysz <miki123211@...>

Same thing happens over here, in POland. Altix, the local distributor of JAWS, has recently released a series of articles about Jamie leaving NV Access for Mozilla even though he did this a long time ago and about all the features NVDA doesn't have and JAWS does. I've even heart accounts of people who were told by altix representatives that NVDA is dangerous to their computers and that it might fry their motherboards, though I don't know if those who retold the story were speaking the truth or merely exaggerating.

This seems like pressure from Freedom Scientific to promote JAWS.

W dniu 2018-07-18 o 17:33, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io pisze:

I have just listened to the latest issue of Techtalk from the RNIB in the uk on Audioboom, and there is an interview with the software man at VFO about what they sell and future plans, and the guy asked him about NVDA Though not actually  trashing it, he used that old ploy that one of the programmers has now left to go to Mozilla and nobody will install NVDA in a business system because its open source etc. anyway, go and have a listen and see what you think. I guess his job is to big up his own company, but I noticed, dear old Dolphin never even got mentioned!
Brian
bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Mallard

They would deserve suing on the part of NV Access, although I realise that will never happeen...

People would sell their mother rather than give up some profit...

Che schifo! As we say here  in Italy...

Il 18/07/2018 18:21, mikolaj holysz ha scritto:
[...]

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

It's probably true that most larger organisations are going to go the JAWS route, if they already have an iT department that is familiar with accessibility concerns. However, as I've done several job interviews in the last year that require on-site tests/use of software, I can definitely say that the price tag and other issues involved in getting JAWS to work are a hurdle that companies will not cross. This is the very reason I started using NVDA more regularly in the first place; I had no choice if I was going to do those interviews. One company did try to install the 40 minute demo of JAWS and was not able to get it to work at all, though they didn't tell me the reason.

I still use both, but if I hadn't been able to obtain a cheap JAWS license from my former employer, Canada's chief "blindness organisation", I wouldn't be using JFW at all. Freedom Scientific might trash and disparage as much as they like; in the end I think their model just isn't very practical. They depend on government and corporate grants/licenses because they know that most blind individuals can't pay their exorbitant prices. I recently looked into Open Book and that thing is something like four or five times the price of a high quality mainstream OCR package. Just unbelievable.

[...]

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

I've used NVDA over two years and can't be happier with it. It's extremely snappy and supports what I use very well. The screen review modes do take some adjusting to but well worth it as it beats throwing down $100 for upgrades. This doesn't sound like much but it is if you aren't employed and have other home expenses.

Nice job NV!

On 7/18/2018 12:03 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
[...]

Sky Mundell

Yes there are deliberate lies going on with those blind organisations about alternative products. What they fail to take into account is that there are cutbacks going on in education, employment, and funding can only go so far. Not only that, but when the cutbacks begin to bite, these organisations will be forced to seek out cheaper things such as NVDA. At that point, they may go with NVDA. What also surprises me is that VFO hasn't even put up their prices yet!

[...]

Devin Prater

The assistive tech department here teaches NVDA, and other low-cost solutions, although iPhone is still taught for blind people, but Android is used by many low-vision people.

On Jul 18, 2018, at 11:40 AM, Sky Mundell <skyt@...> wrote:

[...]

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Sky Mundell

That’s great Devin!

[...]

Hi all,

To Brian: we need the link to that podcast please to we can verify assertions made here.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

I brought that up  at the jobs I work for and they just say either use jaws or don’t work for us. It’s not fair really. And the blindness organizations don’t really care anyway. They are just there for the money, or lck thereof.

On Jul 18, 2018, at 9:40 AM, Sky Mundell <skyt@...> wrote:

[...]

No they don’t care at all.

[...]

Chris Chaffin

Joseph,

You can find the podcast episode on this page:

Hope this helps,

Chris

On Jul 18, 2018, at 12:52 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

ely.r@...

There is a new group of adults who will be wanting to continue their computer access. They are the wave of "senior boomers." It is an entire generation who though they did not "grow up" using technology, have adapted pretty well to it. The statistics regarding vision loss in that population are staggering. Many of those people have PCs at home.
I will be shortly starting classes at our local library on NVDA. I refute to teach access thinking that the cost of JAWS may well put it beyond the reach of many, particularly those on a fixed income. I will be sure to ask my students to pay something for NVDA, but pay what they can afford.

The model that helped to create WindowEyes and JAWS was a good starting point. Those products gave us the ability to show that computer use for a job was doable. We have passed that time. Computer access for anyone with vision loss should be a right, and not a right based on our income or our employer.

Like all change, there will be bumps, but products like NVDA are showing a new path to access.
Rick

[...]

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

That's against the law here fortunately.  Employers have to take your preference into consideration in the accommodation process.  Fortunately NVDA plays much better ball on old systems than jaws does and I've had prospective employers tell me they prefer it after comparing the two.

Employers aren't required to do what you tell them to do.  If I walked into a shop that already had jaws I couldn't expect them to replace it with NVDA.  That's never happened yet though.

Best,

Erik

On July 18, 2018 1:07:58 PM "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@...> wrote:

[...]

For the original poster , do you have a link to this podcast? I’m just cuirous is all, if you do can you provide it here and the time stamp to go to to hear the interview?

Blessings and happy Wednesday

On Jul 18, 2018, at 10:34 AM, JM Casey <crystallogic@ca.inter.net> wrote:

Well said.

[...]

Don H

VFO has no interest in people having a choice.

Sky Mundell

No they don't. Its like going back to the days of the institutions

VFO has no interest in people having a choice.