Smartphones with Keypads or Keyboards

This seems to me to be worthy of a spin-off topic of its own.

If you're not looking for a phone where you want a full keypad for texting, but would like a dial pad for calling, and want an Android device all rolled into one there's the Freetel Musashi FTJ161A
which is hugely expensive, but one of a kind as far as I know since it can act as a full smartphone with touch screen on the top half and still has a standard dial pad on the bottom half.  (For more on this device see:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Freetel+Musashi+flip+phone)  Freetel tried to enter the US market in 2016/2017 but pretty much failed in that attempt.  Their what-was-then-flagship standard smartphone, the Samurai Kiwami, can now be had for under $100, and it works fine on T-Mobile's GSM network and should do the same for Verizon.  It is, however, still an Android Lollipop (5.1) device out of the box and since Freetel has left the US market ongoing support cannot be expected.

This web search returns many options for currently available smartphones with keyboards, https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Smartphone+with+keyboard, and this one for smartphones with keyboards and touchscreens, https://duckduckgo.com/?q=smartphone+with+keyboard+and+touch+screen.
There is, of course, a huge amount of overlap between those two lists.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Andy

I wonder if this is the phone that the kapsys phone is based on. It is an Android phone running either Kitkat or Lollypop and has a touch screen on the top section and keys on the lower section.  Kapsys has superimposed their own skin and a suite of specialized talking apps. They're selling it for around $500 with a GPS system added on for another $300. This is the French company that marketed a handheld GPS navigation device called the Kapten.

Andy

[...]

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 04:06 PM, Andy wrote:
Kapsys
Andy, I can say the Kapsys phones, MiniVision, SmartVision2, and SmartVision2 Premium are definitely not built on the Freetel Mushashi, which is a flip phone where the upper half is a small touch screen which can be used just like any other Android device and the lower half is a standard mobile phone digit keypad with power button, etc.

The three Kaysys phones are all candy bar style phones with a screen and digit pad and they do not fold.  I've actually never seen anything like them, so I wonder if they did have one of the major makers do a one-off redesign especially for them.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Although this message is really off topic for this list, I will point out one error in it.

The phone is on Marsh Mallow, not Kitkat or Lollipop.

All the best

Steve