Add-on development: contracts, Python and such

Hi,

I’m starting a brand new thread that should provide a space to talk about add-on development, including contract work, Python and such.

Cheers,

Joseph

Ervin, Glenn

Yes, I think it would be useful for the NvAccess site to have a list of available scripters and their locations, and then state agencies would have a resource to contact for such things.

I work for a state agency, and I hate it when people bash state agencies without knowing how things work for such things.

Granted, some staff who don’t use screenreaders can’t possibly remember all the solutions, although they should, they don’t, so they think only of the one solution that is most common.

But I have brought up the topic of NVDA as a solution in the workplace, and then the issue of scripting comes up.

Glenn

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 11:50 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Add-on development: contracts, Python and such

Hi,

I’m starting a brand new thread that should provide a space to talk about add-on development, including contract work, Python and such.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

At the moment the closest to that would be:

https://certification.nvaccess.org

Some folks listed on that site are add-on authors, while others are technology trainers. I think what may help might be a way to let certified experts specify list of services they provide, such as training and add-on development.

Another idea that I’ve been thinking is to offer a chance for beginning developers or those interested in writing NVDA add-ons and/or interested in code contributions to receive mentoring from experienced developers. The overall purpose of this is to let beginners ask questions about development to those who know what they are doing, as well as to pass on our knowledge to the next group of NVDA add-on authors and code contributors. When I pitched this idea to members of the devlearning subgroup a few days ago, at least two people said “yes”, which confirmed what I’ve been suspecting for a while: it is time to pass on our knowledge, and how important it is to let others contribute needed code for things such as supporting professional and enterprise applications and such. Also, mentoring the next group of developers has been something I’ve been meaning to do for a while, and I want to see this happen before I move on.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 9:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Add-on development: contracts, Python and such

Yes, I think it would be useful for the NvAccess site to have a list of available scripters and their locations, and then state agencies would have a resource to contact for such things.

I work for a state agency, and I hate it when people bash state agencies without knowing how things work for such things.

Granted, some staff who don’t use screenreaders can’t possibly remember all the solutions, although they should, they don’t, so they think only of the one solution that is most common.

But I have brought up the topic of NVDA as a solution in the workplace, and then the issue of scripting comes up.

Glenn

Glenn

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Adriani Botez

Dear all,

the certification from NV Access is a very good opportunity to learn NVDA and become an expert to provide support. However, for developing add-ons a separate certification would be necessary.

NV Access has a list of contributors, in the NVDA menu / help / contributors. But a list of scripter / programers needs to be updated which is not very simple.

I think the solution is to organize kind of boot camps in your local region / local country where programers can learn how to use github, how to read NVDA’s internals and NVDA’s code ans so on.

We have  lots of tutorials in inglish on how to do it. But the most tutorials are not popular because they are only on github. We need a separate platform only for NVDA Wikis, where people are not distracted by the huge amount of other functions. This wiki platform should show a clear line where to start and how to proceed after developing an add-on to make it available for everyone.

On this platform, there should be two sections, core development and add-on development. A third section should be dedicated to translations, both from a translator and from a developer perspective.

Best

Adriani

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Joseph Lee
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2018 20:07
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] Add-on development: contracts, Python and such

Hi,

Some folks listed on that site are add-on authors, while others are technology trainers. I think what may help might be a way to let certified experts specify list of services they provide, such as training and add-on development.

Another idea that I’ve been thinking is to offer a chance for beginning developers or those interested in writing NVDA add-ons and/or interested in code contributions to receive mentoring from experienced developers. The overall purpose of this is to let beginners ask questions about development to those who know what they are doing, as well as to pass on our knowledge to the next group of NVDA add-on authors and code contributors. When I pitched this idea to members of the devlearning subgroup a few days ago, at least two people said “yes”, which confirmed what I’ve been suspecting for a while: it is time to pass on our knowledge, and how important it is to let others contribute needed code for things such as supporting professional and enterprise applications and such. Also, mentoring the next group of developers has been something I’ve been meaning to do for a while, and I want to see this happen before I move on.

Cheers,

Joseph

Glenn

Glenn

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Adriani Botez

And as far as contracting is concerned, we will not have access to professional programers like freedom scientific because many companies do not know how to manage open-source projects. Many people think that they cannot earn anything with open-source projects.

Something has to change in the way of thinking to get to the point where every assistive technology company provides professional support for NVDA.

In any case, if programers want to get paid for their add-ons, than we need an add-on store for NVDA where developers can place paid add-ons. Maybe NV Access thinks about it.

Yannick Plassyard from France has developed such a store.

Best

Adriani

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Adriani Botez
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2018 20:54

Dear all,

the certification from NV Access is a very good opportunity to learn NVDA and become an expert to provide support. However, for developing add-ons a separate certification would be necessary.

NV Access has a list of contributors, in the NVDA menu / help / contributors. But a list of scripter / programers needs to be updated which is not very simple.

I think the solution is to organize kind of boot camps in your local region / local country where programers can learn how to use github, how to read NVDA’s internals and NVDA’s code ans so on.

We have  lots of tutorials in inglish on how to do it. But the most tutorials are not popular because they are only on github. We need a separate platform only for NVDA Wikis, where people are not distracted by the huge amount of other functions. This wiki platform should show a clear line where to start and how to proceed after developing an add-on to make it available for everyone.

On this platform, there should be two sections, core development and add-on development. A third section should be dedicated to translations, both from a translator and from a developer perspective.

Best

Adriani

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Glenn

Glenn

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Sarah k Alawami

I know that this was discussed a while ago. I agree that something does have to be done, but I have no clue how we would get the companies on board. I like your thinking though.

On 19 Jul 2018, at 11:58, Adriani Botez wrote:

And as far as contracting is concerned, we will not have access to professional programers like freedom scientific because many companies do not know how to manage open-source projects. Many people think that they cannot earn anything with open-source projects.

Something has to change in the way of thinking to get to the point where every assistive technology company provides professional support for NVDA.

In any case, if programers want to get paid for their add-ons, than we need an add-on store for NVDA where developers can place paid add-ons. Maybe NV Access thinks about it.

Yannick Plassyard from France has developed such a store.

Best

Adriani

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Adriani Botez
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2018 20:54

Dear all,

Best

Adriani

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Glenn

Glenn

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi Joseph.  I actually have a web hosting plan which I have not used because of various work and family reasons which doesn't permit me the time to develop my site.  It has two more years to run, so rather than let it go to waste, and if you and the developers are interested, write me off list and we can make the arrangements.  There will be no cost involved,   just a little gesture to the community for doing such great and wonderful work for all of us.  Cheers!

On 20/7/2018 2:53 AM, Adriani Botez wrote:

Dear all,

Best

Adriani

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Glenn

Glenn

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Christian Schoepplein

Hi,

I also can help with free space on a webserver where a wiki can be installed and where access via ftp/sftp is possible. I can also install a seperate jail on a system if things ar needed which arent available on the normal webserver. Just let me know what you need and I will see if I can set it up.
Cheers,

Schoepp

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 09:06:05 +0800, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
Hi Joseph. I actually have a web hosting plan which I have not used
because of various work and family reasons which doesn't permit me
the time to develop my site. It has two more years to run, so rather
than let it go to waste, and if you and the developers are
interested, write me off list and we can make the arrangements.
There will be no cost involved, just a little gesture to the
community for doing such great and wonderful work for all of us.
Cheers!

On 20/7/2018 2:53 AM, Adriani Botez wrote:
Dear all,

the certification from NV Access is a very good opportunity to learn
NVDA and become an expert to provide support. However, for
developing add-ons a separate certification would be necessary.
NV Access has a list of contributors, in the NVDA menu / help /
contributors. But a list of scripter / programers needs to be
updated which is not very simple.

I think the solution is to organize kind of boot camps in your local
region / local country where programers can learn how to use github,
how to read NVDA’s internals and NVDA’s code ans so on.
We have lots of tutorials in inglish on how to do it. But the most
tutorials are not popular because they are only on github. We need a
separate platform only for NVDA Wikis, where people are not
distracted by the huge amount of other functions. This wiki platform
should show a clear line where to start and how to proceed after
developing an add-on to make it available for everyone.
On this platform, there should be two sections, core development and
add-on development. A third section should be dedicated to
translations, both from a translator and from a developer
perspective.

Best
Adriani

Hi,

Some folks listed on that site are add-on authors, while others are
technology trainers. I think what may help might be a way to let
certified experts specify list of services they provide, such as
training and add-on development.

Another idea that I’ve been thinking is to offer a chance for
beginning developers or those interested in writing NVDA add-ons
and/or interested in code contributions to receive mentoring from
experienced developers. The overall purpose of this is to let
beginners ask questions about development to those who know what
they are doing, as well as to pass on our knowledge to the next
group of NVDA add-on authors and code contributors. When I pitched
this idea to members of the devlearning subgroup a few days ago, at
least two people said “yes”, which confirmed what I’ve been
suspecting for a while: it is time to pass on our knowledge, and how
important it is to let others contribute needed code for things such
as supporting professional and enterprise applications and such.
Also, mentoring the next group of developers has been something I’ve
been meaning to do for a while, and I want to see this happen before
I move on.
Cheers,
Joseph

Yes, I think it would be useful for the NvAccess site to have a list
of available scripters and their locations, and then state agencies
would have a resource to contact for such things.
I work for a state agency, and I hate it when people bash state
agencies without knowing how things work for such things.
Granted, some staff who don’t use screenreaders can’t possibly
remember all the solutions, although they should, they don’t, so
they think only of the one solution that is most common.
But I have brought up the topic of NVDA as a solution in the
workplace, and then the issue of scripting comes up.

Glenn

Glenn

Hi,
I’m starting a brand new thread that should provide a space to talk
about add-on development, including contract work, Python and such.

Cheers,
Joseph
--
Christian Schoepplein - chris@schoeppi.net - http://www.schoeppi.net

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes would it not be great if software manufactures simply made their software screenreader compatible in the first place... sigh.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 5:56 PM

Granted, some staff who don't use screenreaders can't possibly remember all the solutions, although they should, they don't, so they think only of the one solution that is most common.

Glenn

Glenn

Hi,
I'm starting a brand new thread that should provide a space to talk about add-on development, including contract work, Python and such.

Cheers,
Joseph

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Brian

I would agree if standards were followed and stuff labeled etc
correctly. I got told if it was done correctly the developers would not
have to do as much on there side but sadly they do to make stuff work/

At a place in in Australia where a friend of mine worked he had control
over the buying of software etc for the state.

They also had blind workers there and basically what they would do is
say the software has to be fully accessible with adaptive tech more
along the line of screen readers or we will not purchase your software
until it is done. Also if they come across problems it must be fixed.

I guess also people who make software or web sites etc do not realize if
they do not label stuff this will be the result if you do not with a
person say using a screen reader. for example search button  or just the
word button you get what i mean.

Gene nz

On 7/20/2018 9:21 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes would it not be great if software manufactures simply made their
software screenreader compatible in the first place... sigh.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ervin, Glenn"
<glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 5:56 PM

Yes, I think it would be useful for the NvAccess site to have a list
of available scripters and their locations, and then state agencies
would have a resource to contact for such things.
I work for a state agency, and I hate it when people bash state
agencies without knowing how things work for such things.
Granted, some staff who don't use screenreaders can't possibly
remember all the solutions, although they should, they don't, so they
think only of the one solution that is most common.
But I have brought up the topic of NVDA as a solution in the
workplace, and then the issue of scripting comes up.

Glenn

Glenn

Hi,
I'm starting a brand new thread that should provide a space to talk
about add-on development, including contract work, Python and such.

Cheers,
Joseph