From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sociohack AC
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 12:05 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Using different social media platforms/websites with NVDA

I find navigating social media websites very tiring. Is there an efficient way to access websites like facebok and twitter?
at present there is no way i could just give a casual navigation to these websites. it is because of their highly interactive content, navigating them is very tiring. you are forced to hear all sorts of unnecessary information. for example, you don't wish to hear the day and the time and other minor options in twitter while navigating  from tweet to tweet in twitter.

Its a pitty ms killed skypekit.

What the blind need now is a client that uses the latest protocals for skype, it should support, skype including ms accounts, facebook accounts, no home page, no adds, the standard message and contacts tab and the phone stuff and nothing else.

Well groups, and video should we use it but thats it.

On 7/24/2018 7:13 AM, Cristóbal wrote:
This is where a third party client comes in handy. Who knows how it’ll all shake out after Twitter’s new rules take place next month, but for now, and for Twitter at least, the cleanest option is a third party client.

I find navigating social media websites very tiring. Is there an efficient way to access websites like facebok and twitter?
at present there is no way i could just give a casual navigation to these websites. it is because of their highly interactive content, navigating them is very tiring. you are forced to hear all sorts of unnecessary information. for example, you don't wish to hear the day and the time and other minor options in twitter while navigating from tweet to tweet in twitter.

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Shaun & List:
Your ideal Skype client for blind users would be wonderful, however not permitting adverts prevents blind Skypes from seeing the activity that helps pay for Skype.
Brian

What the blind need now is a client that uses the latest protocols for skype, it
should support, skype including MS accounts, Facebook accounts, no home
page, no adds, the standard message and contacts tab and the phone stuff
and nothing else.

Well groups, and video should we use it but that is it.

On 7/24/2018 7:13 AM, Cristóbal wrote:
This is where a third party client comes in handy. Who knows how it’ll all
shake out after Twitter’s new rules take place next month, but for now, and
for Twitter at least, the cleanest option is a third party client.

I find navigating social media websites very tiring. Is there an efficient way
to access websites like Facebook and twitter?
at present, there is no way I could just give a casual navigation to these
websites. it is because of their highly interactive content, navigating them is
very tiring. you are forced to hear all sorts of unnecessary information. for
example, you do not wish to hear the day and the time and other minor
options in twitter while navigating from tweet to tweet in twitter.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#44060): https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/44060
-=-=-
NVDA on groups.io

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
Your continued donations help keep NVDA development going strong.
Donate at:
http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Other links:
Come talk with other NVDA users on irc.blufudge.net #NVDA Get NVDA add-
ons at:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/
NVDA on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
Get SkypeTalking for NVDA:
http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The whole issue of twitter clients though was that so many people were using them that the bread and butter of Twitter, advertising, was not being seen by most people. This means one of two things. Either you need to pay to use Twitter without ads, or you have to use Twitter with adverts. It seems the former is what Twitter has decided, since access to the new api will cost third party writers per user of any app made.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I find navigating social media websites very tiring. Is there an efficient way to access websites like facebok and twitter?
at present there is no way i could just give a casual navigation to these websites. it is because of their highly interactive content, navigating them is very tiring. you are forced to hear all sorts of unnecessary information. for example, you don't wish to hear the day and the time and other minor options in twitter while navigating from tweet to tweet in twitter.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes its the same for all social media. What is really needed though in my view all over the web is some kind of accessible ad filter. IE if the ad is just going to muck up the accessibility of a site it should be banished to the bin and sooner or later such adverts will stop being made, hopefully. I do not think nvda should or could develop simply to read ofddball adverts inserted by third party servers at the whim of a bot.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Your ideal Skype client for blind users would be wonderful, however not permitting adverts prevents blind Skypes from seeing the activity that helps pay for Skype.
Brian

I find navigating social media websites very tiring. Is there an efficient way
to access websites like Facebook and twitter?
at present, there is no way I could just give a casual navigation to these
websites. it is because of their highly interactive content, navigating them is
very tiring. you are forced to hear all sorts of unnecessary information. for
example, you do not wish to hear the day and the time and other minor
options in twitter while navigating from tweet to tweet in twitter.

Jonathan COHN

OK, different tack here.

Both twitter and Facebook have single key shortcuts of their own for navigation.  Also, for Facebook, each grouping of a post and its replies is in an article region. I am not sure if NVDA "d" key will skip to the next article or if it just uses more encompassing HTNL regions.

So if you are in NVDA focus mode:
j will move to next posting
k will move to previous posting
l will like a posting
? will give a full list of shortcuts I will include twitters list below.

BTW J/K/?  also work in Gmail .

t in a twitter web page will retweet with an option to add your own text.
WindowEyes once had a training session on these keystrokes I wonder if VFO kept any of that training around.

HTH.

Jonathan Cohn

Akshaya Choudhary

Thanks for these shortcuts! Will they also be helpful in reading the replies of a tweet?

Jonathan COHN

After a specific tweet is read, if you press enter then the replies show up in the dialog but I have had limited success using the j/k keys there to navigate the thread. Though I have never tried on a Windows computer. So your resumts may be different.

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Sociohack AC <acsociopath@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 11:39 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Thanks for these shortcuts! Will they also be helpful in reading the replies of a tweet?

Hmmm, I'd like the adds away to be honest.

As for that, I wouldn't mind paying for skype or a full voip solution using skype, hangouts, whats app and other services in one place so it didn't matter what you were on.

I don't know about a monthly subscription for the program but for numters and stuff if it was low enough maybe some spam protection etc would be nice.

Its not a reality sadly but it would be nice, I have had to find a solution for ccleaner today and managed it  a portable and the ini file I posted in another message on the nvda list works well enough, but it would be nice if the installed version didn't have so many issues.

The good thing is I can set everything in the portable and it just works so.

On 7/25/2018 12:41 AM, Brian K. Lingard wrote:
Dear Shaun & List:
Your ideal Skype client for blind users would be wonderful, however not permitting adverts prevents blind Skypes from seeing the activity that helps pay for Skype.
Brian

I find navigating social media websites very tiring. Is there an efficient way
to access websites like Facebook and twitter?
at present, there is no way I could just give a casual navigation to these
websites. it is because of their highly interactive content, navigating them is
very tiring. you are forced to hear all sorts of unnecessary information. for
example, you do not wish to hear the day and the time and other minor
options in twitter while navigating from tweet to tweet in twitter.

.

I wouldn't mind my twitter client to have adds that are applicable to me just like the junkmail fliers I get in my mailbox.

Sadly, adds are hosted on add servers, adds are usually addware full, spyware, spam and   all the dodgy practices adds are as well as unwanted programs.

I see twitter's issue but as long as the adds could be in a place that wouldn't effect things, well.

I don't know if I would pay for client use for twitter as such, I just use the website except when I am on holiday or if I need to use a client its to view something or direct message.

But I'd gladly pay maybe 10 bucks a month for a slocial network subscription to use all networks if that was what I wanted or needed to do for business I can't see indeviduals doing stuff like this.

Then again maybe that would cut down on the sheer load of fake news, and junk that is posted on free networks I don't know.