OT discussions

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Gene & List:

Yes, some off topic discussion is desirable, guess my primary beef is subjects that do not highly describe the topic of discussion in the message bodies.

I trust I am not coming across as moderator, however was commenting on list posting habits generally.

Brian

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think there are basically two issues. Out and out completely off topic messages, which rally once answered once should not attract further replies is they just repeat the same thing, and subject drift which are a little more difficult.

One of the most annoying though is when somebody announces something like I need nvda with X voic4e as it surely is the only voice for a screenreader. This is as the old saying goes often a red rag to a bull (OK Bulls are colour blind, so sue me!), and OK its true for that individual but not a lots of others.
I think in this case a simple link to the page telling folk of all the synths is probably all that is needed.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:25 PM
Subject: [nvda] OT discussions

Dear Gene & List:
Yes, some off topic discussion is desirable, guess my primary beef is
subjects that do not highly describe the topic of discussion in the message
bodies.

I trust I am not coming across as moderator, however was commenting on list
posting habits generally.
Brian

Ervin, Glenn

I see how subjects go astray throughout a conversation, but what bugs me most is when someone starts a thread with a subject that tells nothing of the question.

Help please

That does nothing if a good answer comes later in response, and we save the helpful message for later reference, because I for one save many useful messages and use my eMail’s search feature to find an old message that was useful information.

And with an irrelevant subject like that, I cannot find it later.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian K. Lingard
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 7:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Dear Gene & List:

Yes, some off topic discussion is desirable, guess my primary beef is subjects that do not highly describe the topic of discussion in the message bodies.

I trust I am not coming across as moderator, however was commenting on list posting habits generally.

Brian

E.T.

Now I remember why I unsubscribed from this group the last time. Too much traffic. Already almost 200 posts just since the start of the week. (smiles)

From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@icloud.com
Science is not only compatible with spirituality;
it is a profound source of spirituality.| --Carl Sagan

On 7/24/2018 6:11 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I think there are basically two issues. Out and out completely off topic messages, which rally once answered once should not attract further replies is they just repeat the same thing, and subject drift which are a little more difficult.
One of the most annoying though is when somebody announces  something like I need nvda with X voic4e as it surely is the only voice for a screenreader. This is as the old saying goes often a red rag to a bull (OK Bulls are colour blind, so sue me!), and OK its true for that individual but not a lots of others.
I think in this case a simple link to the page telling folk of all the synths is probably all that is needed.
Brian
bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian K. Lingard" <bkl@ncf.ca>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:25 PM

Dear Gene & List:
Yes, some off topic discussion is desirable, guess my primary beef is
subjects that do not highly describe the topic of discussion in the message
bodies.

I trust I am not coming across as moderator, however was commenting on list
posting habits generally.
Brian

Edited

I would not normally resend something like this on the heels of it appearing elsewhere, but I want to make sure that the correct link to the most recent information about how you do this is seen.  The one I posted this morning was to another topic on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group, and it's harder to find the step-by-step instructions there.

Read:  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io
There has never been an e-mailing list service that gives a user more precise control over just what traffic they will allow through to their inbox.  It is a simple matter to set up any group, even one that routinely has torrents of messages, such that you get to preview new topics and make the decision as to whether you want to get any messages other than the initial one.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for all humankind.

~ Richard Dehmel