NVDA Goes Silent In Dialogue on Websites

David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...>

Hello Members,

I believe I am using a 2016 version of NVDA with my windows seven
computer, and will upgrade when purchasing a new computer in 2020.
That being said, can someone explain the reason NVDA goes silent when
I press enter on a given website, and I enter a link called Dialogue.
Arrow keys (up down) or tab keys do not result in any screen info being read.
Just blank blank blank

One such example is the Tax Information link at Amazon, required by
authors to complete when establishing or updating an existing account.

I notice too, some websites are using the word 'button' instead of
'link' to identify key places. What is the difference?

Thank you for your help.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Why can't you upgrade to the latest version that will work with Windows 7?

On 7/27/2018 11:43 AM, David Russell wrote:

Hello Members,

I believe I am using a 2016 version of NVDA with my windows seven
computer, and will upgrade when purchasing a new computer in 2020.
That being said, can someone explain the reason NVDA goes silent when
I press enter on a given website, and I enter a link called Dialogue.
Arrow keys (up down) or tab keys do not result in any screen info being read.
Just blank blank blank

One such example is the Tax Information link at Amazon, required by
authors to complete when establishing or updating an existing account.

I notice too, some websites are using the word 'button' instead of
'link' to identify key places. What is the difference?

Thank you for your help.

Chris

It may be an idea to upgrade your version of nvda first to see if that fixes your problem

Things have changed a lot since 2016

I believe I am using a 2016 version of NVDA with my windows seven

computer, and will upgrade when purchasing a new computer in 2020.

That being said, can someone explain the reason NVDA goes silent when

I press enter on a given website, and I enter a link called Dialogue.

Arrow keys (up down) or tab keys do not result in any screen info being read.

Just blank blank blank

One such example is the Tax Information link at Amazon, required by

authors to complete when establishing or updating an existing account.

I notice too, some websites are using the word 'button' instead of

'link' to identify key places. What is the difference?

Thank you for your help.

--

David Russell

david.sonofhashem@...

Gene

See if you can switch to forms mode in the dialog, NVDA space bar, then see if you can tab through the fields.  I haven't worked with dialogs much, but my recollection is that I can't read the content except when in forms mode.

If the dialog is inaccessible for some reason even then, my recollection is that pressing escape closes the dialog just as it does dialogs not on web sites.

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 10:43 AM

Hello Members,

I believe I am using a 2016 version of NVDA with my windows seven
computer, and will upgrade when purchasing a new computer in 2020.
That being said, can someone explain the reason NVDA goes silent when
I press enter on a given website, and I enter a link called Dialogue.
Arrow keys (up down) or tab keys do not result in any screen info being read.
Just blank blank blank

One such example is the Tax Information link at Amazon, required by
authors to complete when establishing or updating an existing account.

I notice too, some websites are using the word 'button' instead of
'link' to identify key places. What is the difference?

Thank you for your help.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Brian K. Lingard

Dear David & List:

A button is activated by pressing the space bar to press it.

A link is activated by pressing enter on it or the left-hand mouse button.

Recommend you update your NVDA to the latest version supported by win 7.

Consider upgrading to Win 10. No announced end date for support.
Briam

I believe I am using a 2016 version of NVDA with my windows seven
Computer, and will upgrade when purchasing a new computer in 2020.
That being said, can someone explain the reason NVDA goes silent when I
press enter on a given website, and I enter a link called Dialogue.
Arrow keys (up down) or tab keys do not result in any screen info being read.
Just blank blank blank

One such example is the Tax Information link at Amazon, required by authors
To complete when establishing or updating an existing account.

I notice too, some websites are using the word 'button' instead of 'link' to
identify key places. What is the difference?

Thank you for your help.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Brian's Mail list account

Firstly I do think you should update to the latest nvda on Windows 7. Then we can probably follow along with any diagnostics. Few will be using a version that old.
Browsers and all sorts of windows updates could be to blame for strange behaviours which have been fixed in later versions of nvda.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I believe I am using a 2016 version of NVDA with my windows seven
computer, and will upgrade when purchasing a new computer in 2020.
That being said, can someone explain the reason NVDA goes silent when
I press enter on a given website, and I enter a link called Dialogue.
Arrow keys (up down) or tab keys do not result in any screen info being read.
Just blank blank blank

One such example is the Tax Information link at Amazon, required by
authors to complete when establishing or updating an existing account.

I notice too, some websites are using the word 'button' instead of
'link' to identify key places. What is the difference?

Thank you for your help.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Brian's Mail list account

I think getting windows 10 is debatable, though of course in the long run vendors will increasing add more bells and whistles to software that work best in 10.
I'm using 7, and do not think I'll change on this machine and get another cheapo one to play with 10 on when funds are there.

[...]

Tyler Wood

I don't think it is for me, if I'm honest.

I can honestly say that even older machines, one in particular that is running an old core 2 duo, seem to be doing even better since the upgrade.

It isn't night and day, but the difference is certainly noticeable. Add to this windows 10 doesn't have an end support date and you can add life to an old pc that it otherwise wouldn't have, including security updates and the like.

On 28-Jul-2018 4:21 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I think getting windows 10 is debatable, though of course in the long run vendors will increasing add more bells and whistles to software  that work best in 10.
I'm using 7, and do not think I'll change on this machine and get another cheapo one to play with 10 on when funds are there.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-