From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 7:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Using NVDA on XP?

Hi all,

I have a friend who is interested in using NVDA on a computer running XP.

Can he just down load the latest NVDA or should he try for an earlier version.  If so, which version?

Many thanks,

James B

Quentin Christensen

Hi James,

As Joseph noted, the last version of NVDA that works on Windows XP is NVDA 2017.3.  The download for that version is: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2017.3/nvda_2017.3.exe

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 12:03 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

The latest version that’ll run happily on Windows XP is 2017.3.

Cheers,

Jsoeph

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

There were a few snaps that also worked but to all intents and purposes they can be regarded as the same. I'm still using several machines like this and there is one worming. The addons might need to be older versions if you are downloading them. Newer ones may not work.

However its still impressive how well nvda works on xp even with newer versions of software that still runs on xp, which is increasingly rare of course.
Depending on whether your xp is running on AMD or Intel processors, the Intel versions actually have more software that will still run that the AMD ones do.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 12:03 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

The latest version that’ll run happily on Windows XP is 2017.3.

Cheers,

Jsoeph

I have a friend who is interested in using NVDA on a computer running XP.

Can he just down load the latest NVDA or should he try for an earlier
version. If so, which version?

Many thanks,

James B

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...>

Thank you Quentin and Joeseph,

I’ll get this info to my friend right away. I am curious as to how well he likes NVDA on XP.

Concerning NVDA and windows 7, I tried to fill out an insurance form yesterday using Jaws.  Jaws did not recognize my imput on part of the form.  Hmmm, useless on that particular site in both IE and Chrome.  I cranked up NVDA just to try it.  I had the form filled out with Chrome in ten minutes.  Kind of strange how that worked out.

Cheers,

James

I have a friend who is interested in using NVDA on a computer running XP.

Can he just down load the latest NVDA or should he try for an earlier version.  If so, which version?

Many thanks,

James B

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

run happily?  Does that mean later versions will run, but not very happily?

The latest version that’ll run happily on Windows XP is 2017.3.

Cheers,

Jsoeph

I have a friend who is interested in using NVDA on a computer running XP.

Can he just down load the latest NVDA or should he try for an earlier version.  If so, which version?

Many thanks,

James B

Hi,

Run happily: fully supported and will run. In this context, later versions of NVDA will refuse to run on XP.

Cheers,

Joseph