can't put the mail app on muy desktop

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

I just switched to the mail app but now I can’t put it on my desktop. I tried everything I know to do but nothing has worked. I don’t want to have to keep hitting the windows key and typing “mail” every time I want to go to the mail app. What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Robert Mendoza

Hi, Rosemary

To add shortcut to your desktop simply hit the Windows key + R, in the edit field type with out quote as follow

shell:appsfolder

then press enter then the dialog box will open. To quick find to the Mail apps pressed several times of letter M untill your focus got to right place.

Pressed Shift + F10 to open the context menu then select Create Shortcut

Robert mendoza

Hi, everyone,

I just switched to the mail app but now I can’t put it on my desktop. I tried everything I know to do but nothing has worked. I don’t want to have to keep hitting the windows key and typing “mail” every time I want to go to the mail app. What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

John Isige

I'm going to give this example with Mail, but this will work for any
app, like the Windows 10 version of Skype, for example. Also, I don't
use Mail so I don't know if it's just called Mail or Windows Mail or
Microsoft Mail or what, so just replace "Mail" with whatever it's
actually called.

1. Hit the Windows key.

2. Type mail.

3. When it shows mail, don't hit enter on it, right click it with the
applications key or shift-F10.

4. Pick "pin to taskbar".

5. Hit escape to get out of start.

6. Hit Windows-m to go to the desktop, and tab until you hear "running
applications tool bar", mine starts with a button for Edge but yours
might be different.

7. Arrow right or left until you hear "mail button".

8. Right click on mail and arrow to "create shortcut". Hit enter on that.

9. It will say it can't create a shortcut there, do you want to send it
to the desktop? Say yes, obviously.

10. You'll have a thing on your desktop named "Mail Shortcut". If you
want to rename it to just "Mail", hit F2 or right click and pick rename.

11. Finally, if you want to take Mail off of your taskbar, repeat steps
6-8, but instead of picking "create shortcut", pick, wait for it, "unpin
from taskbar".

There you go. There's a shorter way to do this using the command line
somebody posted a while back, but I have no idea what the command is
because it seemed pretty complicated. This is fairly easy to remember
and it works for pretty much anything, as far as I can tell. I broke it
down into a lot of steps so it would be easier to understand, but
basically you find thingy, right click and pick pin to taskbar, find
thingy on your taskbar, right click and pick create shortcut and answer
the obvious question, and you're done, thingy is now on your desktop. If
you want to do some cleanup, unpin thingy from your taskbar and rename
the desktop from "thingy shortcut" to "thingy". That's about six steps
really, find it, pin it, find it on taskbar, create shortcut, unpin
shortcut, and rename shortcut.

Also, you can just go right to the taskbar because Mail is on there by
default, so you can either run it from the taskbar all the time, or just
right click and create the shortcut. I don't know if you can unpin it,
since you didn't put it there in the first place. But like I said, this
works for anything you can find from the start thingy like that, so
hopefully that will help more generally.

On 7/28/2018 0:57, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, everyone,

I just switched to the mail app but now I can’t put it on my desktop.
I tried everything I know to do but nothing has worked. I don’t want
to have to keep hitting the windows key and typing “mail” every time I
want to go to the mail app. What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Windows 10

Brian's Mail list account

Oh what fun, If I were a programmer I'd create a new app called Thingy!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Chris

Try this

Open run dialog Windows+R

Type this exactly

Shell:appsfolder

And hit ok

This will open a explorer window

From the list of items select the mail icon

Then right click or application key or whatever way you do a right click

And from the menu select create shortcut

It will tell you cant create a shortcut here but do you want to create a desktop shortcut instead?

Choose yes

Then close the window and you are done

I just switched to the mail app but now I can’t put it on my desktop. I tried everything I know to do but nothing has worked. I don’t want to have to keep hitting the windows key and typing “mail” every time I want to go to the mail app. What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Chris,

I was able to create my shortcut from the mail app on the task bar. Instead of using the applications key, I hit shift f-10 and arrowed down to create shortcut. That did the trick.

Thank you for your help.