From: Sociohack AC
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2018 3:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Doing mathematics

 How do you guys do mathematics?  Do you use some software or some physical instrument like abacus? I will be appearing for a management entrance exam in December. I will be required to solve high school level mathematical problems as soon as possible. I had learnt math when I had partial vision with normal pen and paper, then i switched to humanities, and now I intend to go the management route. For this I will be required to do mathematics again. Please suggest me any possible solutions. It is a competitive exam, so speed and accuracy both matters.

Regards,
Sociohack

Antony Stone

If you are allowed to use technical aids in the examination, surely a talking
calculator is the simplest solution?

And, if you're not allowed to use technical aids, what are the sighted people
expected to do? I can't imagine a management exam expecting people to do
arithmetic with pencil & paper... (or if that is expected, what sort of
management are they going to end up in ...?)

Finally, for a non-technical solution, are you allowed (as a blind person) to
take someone with you, and so long as you know what mathematics to ask them to
do, they're allowed to do it for you and give you the answer? They can't help
you to solve the original question, but if you know how to solve it, they can
do the tedious bits of arithmetic for you and give you what you need to get to
the answer.

Antony.

--
In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

- Terry Pratchett

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

ely.r@...

Sociohack

First you need to be in touch with who or whatever the testing organization is. Tell them about your vision and ask first if they have had experience with accommodations for a blind or visually impaired person. If so, could they email you a list of accommodations that have been used in the past. You would want to f Specifically, if a talking calculator will be seen as a reasonable accommodation. There are stand-alone talking calculators. If you have an iPhone or iPad there are free calculator apps and at least one scientific talking calculator I believe may still be free. If you want suggestions, let me know on or off list.

Whatever you might choose to use, you would want to have it soon so that you have plenty of time to get comfortable using it.

How are you going to read what I imagine is a print text exam? Do you still have enough vision to read large print? If not may you have a reader/scribe? Does the testing organization provide someone or can it be a person you choose. The second option is the best. Like the calculator, it you can select a reader/scribe the two of you should find a source for sample questions to use for practice.  You may find that there is a study guide for the exam.

Hope this does not feel like information overload. You have a good deal of time before the exam. Vest thing to do is to work with whatever accommodations you choose so that they help not hinder your test taking.

Rick