Reading web pages

Mark Reynolds

Is it possible to get NVDA to read web pages as simple text without saying 'Link' each time it hits a link?. Wikipedia pages have many links in the text and it would be good to hear it read without keep hearing the word 'Link'

John Isige

Yes. You want document formatting under settings, there are check boxes for what gets reported, and links is one of them. There are also headings and a number of other things. You can turn all of them off.

On 7/28/2018 11:05, Mark Reynolds wrote:

Is it possible to get NVDA to read web pages as simple text without saying 'Link' each time it hits a link?. Wikipedia pages have many links in the text and it would be good to hear it read without keep hearing the word 'Link'

Mark,

        There are ways to make the screen reader (regardless of which one) do this, but I have found that if you're using either Firefox or Chrome the Read Aloud Add-On/Extension does an incredibly good job of this, better than the screen readers in fact.  I also like that you can have a distinctive voice for Read Aloud so that you know whether it's the screen reader or Read Aloud that's reading.

         The only disadvantage is that you do have to remember to hit ALT+O to shut up Read Aloud before you leave a page that it's reading.  If you don't, it's already buffered it and it will keep on reading even after you've left the page.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Gene

Open the document formatting dialog with control NVDA key d.
Tab through the items, and check or uncheck anything you want with the space bar.  Then activate the ok button.

Remember that you will automatically save settings if you exit the program.  That is the default behavior.  To return to the previous settings and not accidentally save them, use control NVDA key r when you are finished using the changed settings at any time before closing the program.  But if you wait, you may forget and close the program without doing so.

Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2018 11:05 AM
Subject: [nvda] Reading web pages

Is it possible to get NVDA to read web pages as simple text without saying 'Link' each time it hits a link?. Wikipedia pages have many links in the text and it would be good to hear it read without keep hearing the word 'Link'

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Is that in waterfox as well?

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

There are ways to make the screen reader (regardless of which one) do this, but I have found that if you're using either Firefox or Chrome the Read Aloud Add-On/Extension does an incredibly good job of this, better than the screen readers in fact. I also like that you can have a distinctive voice for Read Aloud so that you know whether it's the screen reader or Read Aloud that's reading.

The only disadvantage is that you do have to remember to hit ALT+O to shut up Read Aloud before you leave a page that it's reading. If you don't, it's already buffered it and it will keep on reading even after you've left the page.

~ Richard Dehmel

To my knowledge Firefox Add-Ons (and I'm talking pre-Quantum for earlier releases and Quantum era for current) will work in the corresponding derivatives of Firefox like Waterfox.  But, since I do not use them I am not 100% certain.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Mark Reynolds

Thanks John - that's brilliant

hi.
i disabled reporting all items in document formatting and love nvda
much more with these settings!
if i want to know whether unknown item is link or not, just i press nvda tab.
it also announces discription of the link for me.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Felix G.

Hi!
Some of you might love this: You can create a configuration profile, set it up so that it triggers exactly when the "read all" function is used, and turn all the document formatting information off in that profile only. Then it will just do the right thing automatically. Pretty much a set and forget solution.
Best,
Felix