Introducing Add-on Updater: check, download, apply add-on updates #addonrelease

Hi all,

I’m delighted to announce the immediate release of Add-on Updater that brings one of the frequently requested features to life: ability to check, download, and apply community add-on updates:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/addonUpdater.en.html

To use this add-on, after installing it, go to NVDA menu/Tools/Check for add-on updates. If updates are found, a list of updates will be shown with an option to update add-ons. After installing add-on updates, say “yes” when asked to restart.

The following add-ons are excluded from add-on update check via this add-on because they provide their own add-on update feature: Braille Extender, StationPlaylist Studio, WeatherPlus, Windows 10 App Essentials. Also, add-ons not hosted on community add-ons website (addons.nvda-project.org) are also excluded.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Joseph

Just tried the add on and it works well.

I did notice on one of the add ons  7 of them out of 8 had updates and you could see the number going up to the latest add on but noticed one of them went down a number like 5.1 to 5.0 would that just mean stable?

I think it was the focus high lighter one.

It is nice and easy to use.

Gene nz

On 7/30/2018 7:02 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

I’m delighted to announce the immediate release of Add-on Updater that brings one of the frequently requested features to life: ability to check, download, and apply community add-on updates:

To use this add-on, after installing it, go to NVDA menu/Tools/Check for add-on updates. If updates are found, a list of updates will be shown with an option to update add-ons. After installing add-on updates, say “yes” when asked to restart.

The following add-ons are excluded from add-on update check via this add-on because they provide their own add-on update feature: Braille Extender, StationPlaylist Studio, WeatherPlus, Windows 10 App Essentials. Also, add-ons not hosted on community add-ons website (addons.nvda-project.org) are also excluded.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Yes. This is partly due to the add-ons server.

Cheers,

Jsoeph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 1:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Introducing Add-on Updater: check, download, apply add-on updates #AddonRelease

Hi Joseph

I did notice on one of the add ons  7 of them out of 8 had updates and you could see the number going up to the latest add on but noticed one of them went down a number like 5.1 to 5.0 would that just mean stable?

Gene nz

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

John Isige

Agree a hundred percent, thanks for this one Joseph, and for all your
great work. I think I got three or four updated.

On 7/29/2018 15:56, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi Joseph

I did notice on one of the add ons  7 of them out of 8 had updates and
you could see the number going up to the latest add on but noticed one
of them went down a number like 5.1 to 5.0 would that just mean stable?

Gene nz

Hi all,

I’m delighted to announce the immediate release of Add-on Updater
that brings one of the frequently requested features to life: ability
to check, download, and apply community add-on updates:

To use this add-on, after installing it, go to NVDA menu/Tools/Check
for add-on updates. If updates are found, a list of updates will be
shown with an option to update add-ons. After installing add-on
updates, say “yes” when asked to restart.

The following add-ons are excluded from add-on update check via this
add-on because they provide their own add-on update feature: Braille
Extender, StationPlaylist Studio, WeatherPlus, Windows 10 App
Essentials. Also, add-ons not hosted on community add-ons website
(addons.nvda-project.org) are also excluded.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gerardo Corripio

OK and when the automatic check for addons is added into the NVDA core, does one uninstall the AddON, so as not to have duplicate functions?

El 29/07/2018 a las 02:02 p.m., Joseph Lee escribió:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

-- 
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Hi,

Eventually, yes. In the next add-on release, I’ll let the add-on “not work” when the stable version of NVDA with automatic add-on update checking feature is installed.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerardo Corripio
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Introducing Add-on Updater: check, download, apply add-on updates #AddonRelease

OK and when the automatic check for addons is added into the NVDA core, does one uninstall the AddON, so as not to have duplicate functions?

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

-- 
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

probably.

However to be honest, I think both nvda and other addon updaters should have some way to have different level of setting like microsoft used to have.

1.  install updates.

2.  download updates and once done ask you to install them and 3, notify you if one exists maybe with an extra tone, you could have an alarm for a critical update, another noise for one that may not be so bad and something else if its just a non required thing whatever.

I am also wandering if nvda could have incromental updates depending on what is being updated for space and the like and speed to though that may not always work.

But in the cases where we had 18.03.1 and .2, and the a b c d e f versions, a patch would have worked in that situation.

On 7/30/2018 10:55 AM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

David Ouimet

Thank you so much for the NVDA Updator you made Joseph, it works very well. Thank you for all the work you put in with the add-ons you do for all of us. Appreciate that a lot & I know the others must too.

Jacob Kruger

Joseph, using your try build of NVDA: try-w10-15530,16facaf1

And, there's no additional menu item under tools, etc., for this add-on?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"Resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 7/29/2018 9:02 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Joseph, Focus Highlight i have is version 5.2, but it is asking me to downdate to 5.0 on the updater. Could it be that the latest version of Focus Highlight is not on the site yet, as the author let me have the latest version outside of the web site. It might be a bug though if it thinks an earlier version is later than a later one already installed of any add on.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 8:02 PM
Subject: [nvda] Introducing Add-on Updater: check, download, apply add-on updates #AddonRelease

Hi all,

I'm delighted to announce the immediate release of Add-on Updater that
brings one of the frequently requested features to life: ability to check,
download, and apply community add-on updates:

To use this add-on, after installing it, go to NVDA menu/Tools/Check for
add-on updates. If updates are found, a list of updates will be shown with
an option to update add-ons. After installing add-on updates, say "yes" when
asked to restart.

The following add-ons are excluded from add-on update check via this add-on
because they provide their own add-on update feature: Braille Extender,
StationPlaylist Studio, WeatherPlus, Windows 10 App Essentials. Also,
add-ons not hosted on community add-ons website (addons.nvda-project.org)
are also excluded.

Cheers,

Joseph

IE it says...

Focus Highlight; Current version: 5.2; New version: 5.0

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

To: <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 8:02 PM
Subject: [nvda] Introducing Add-on Updater: check, download, apply add-on updates #AddonRelease

Hi all,

asked to restart.

are also excluded.

Cheers,

Joseph

Can you just select the ones you want to update. i do not really want to change a couple of them for my own reasons.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 9:58 PM

Hi,

Yes. This is partly due to the add-ons server.

Cheers,

Jsoeph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene New
Zealand
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Introducing Add-on Updater: check, download, apply
add-on updates #AddonRelease

Hi Joseph

I did notice on one of the add ons 7 of them out of 8 had updates and you
could see the number going up to the latest add on but noticed one of them
went down a number like 5.1 to 5.0 would that just mean stable?

Gene nz

Hi all,

asked to restart.

are also excluded.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

That try build is way old now, as newer NVDA alpha builds include most of the changes included in that try build.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jacob Kruger
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 1:06 AM

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

Jacob Kruger

Ok, reinstalled current latest alpha, and, it now appears under tools menu/works.

Thanks

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 7/30/2018 4:10 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

That try build is way old now, as newer NVDA alpha builds include most of the changes included in that try build.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jacob Kruger
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 1:06 AM

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph