Windows 10 Settings applet no longer accessible with NVDA

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Using Windows 10 V1803, I notice that when you tab round in settings now, none of the lists or tabs are voiced by NVDA at all.  I do have App Essentials installed.

Any thoughts?  They are still voiced by JAWS.

Thanks.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

Email: steve@...

Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk

Hi,

Which version of NVDA do you have, and does reopening Settings app fix the problem?

Cheers,

Joseph

Using Windows 10 V1803, I notice that when you tab round in settings now, none of the lists or tabs are voiced by NVDA at all.  I do have App Essentials installed.

Any thoughts?  They are still voiced by JAWS.

Thanks.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

Email: steve@...

Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk

Chris

First things first, try a restart of windows

If that don’t work , restart nvda with addons disabled

See how that goes

Using Windows 10 V1803, I notice that when you tab round in settings now, none of the lists or tabs are voiced by NVDA at all.  I do have App Essentials installed.

Any thoughts?  They are still voiced by JAWS.

Thanks.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

Email: steve@...

Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk

abdul muhamin

Hi all. I’ve noticed the same problem yesterday, sometimes. The settings app is not readable by NVDA. However, you can restart this app 2 or more times to make it readable. I don’t know, whether this is the problem with the last security updates of win10. or something is wrong with some addons, I doesn’t tri with addons disable

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Hi Joseph,

I have 2018.1.1 and no amount of opening or closing settings fixes it.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Good try, but no cigar.  Still doesn’t work after all the steps followed.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Why not use the latest version of nvda first, see if that works out for you?

[...]

It is still broken with all add-ons disabled.

Update though, it is broken in Narrator as well.  Glad I have JAWS for this one.

All th best

Steve

[...]

I’ll ask several Windows Insiders if they can reproduce this on Redstone 5. Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Walker, Michael E

What are Windows Insiders?

[...]

Hi Michael,

They are folks who test pre-release versions of Windows 10 feature updates. I’m one of them (one of the original cohort of Windows Insiders back in 2014), and there are folks here who do test preview builds.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Brice Mijares

Are these settings opened by hitting windows key I? if so, I'm having no issues.

On 8/2/2018 9:03 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
[...]
Email: steve@comproom.co.uk <mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>
Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk <http://www.comproom.co.uk/>

Steve Nutt

Chris, you still don’t win the price.

Updated to 2018.2.1 and still no settings.

All the best

Steve

[...]

I’m not an Insider at this point and it happens on both my machines.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Yes, I use Windows Key I. I just get silence when I tab and blank when I arrow up and down.

All the best

Steve

[...]

If Narrator also fails to speak (if I read a previous message correctly), then it might be time to ask folks at Redmond if UIA is to blame... again.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

I agree with Joseph. If we have two screen readers failing, I would definitely ask about it. Also, it often saves a lot of time when we ask someone who knows versus trying to troubleshoot ourselves.

[...]

Jackie

I don't have Any problems w/settings, although you do have to wait
some time for the aplet to load. Arrow keys take you from 1 setting to
the next, enter, then tab brings you to the list of settings in that
particular group which can be modified. The only addons I have
installed are Pico, remote, & TeamTalk classic. I am running the
latest NVDA, though, & Narrator works w/it as well, so I'm wondering
if this is something unique to your system.

On 8/2/18, Walker, Michael E <michael.e.walker3@boeing.com> wrote:
[...]

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Steve Nutt

Hi Joseph,

Yes, I do think it is a UIA issue. I don't think for a moment it's an NVDA issue, but why isn't everyone getting it who's on 1803?

All the best

Steve