Initial Skype for desktop 8 feedback

Cristóbal

Hello list,

So, some initial feedback after updating to Skype 8.x

Muscle memory issues with the new keystrokes aside which are always going to take a bit getting used to, I’m finding certain aspects to be quite frustrating. I’ve already written Microsoft about some of this via the feedback option in the app as well as on Twitter.

Anyway, the immediate thing is that with this updated version, there doesn’t seem to be any means to have the Skype ringer alert go to a separate audio source like external or PC speakers. There’s only one option for speakers which if you’re using a headset, which I’m pretty sure most if not all of us are using is the only viable option. More so for those of us who have a paid number. The end result is that when you get an incoming call, the ringer quite easily drowns out anything Jaws (in my case) may say. I don’t use the audio ducking feature as I find it to be too distracting. One can go into the speaker settings in Skype and lower the volume or the speaker settings in Windows 10 to lower Skype volume, but all that accomplishes is that in addition to the ringer being lowered, the call audio is lowered as well. Also, I’ve already twice missed an incoming call because I took my headset off for this or that reason and didn’t hear the ringer alert fast enough through the headset to put it back on and get to the Skype window in time to pick up.

I had mentioned previously that the hotkeys also no longer to appear to be universal. Indeed, this is the case. So now, when you get an incoming call, you have to scramble to the Skype window since at least for me, I’m not taken there automatically and if I’m in a different virtual desktop, the taskbar short cut win key plus X, Y or Z won’t work and try to listen to figure out if I’m finally in the Skype window which again, as described previously, isn’t as easy since the ringer is drowning everything else out. The few times I’ve had a chance to take an incoming call and used the control plus shift plus P command, Skype actually initiates an outgoing call as well as answering the incoming call. This . . . has proven to be problematic to say the least.

More than once already, I’ve found myself trying to orientate myself on the Skype screen to maybe tab to the answer button instead of using the hotkey to avoid this issue with answering/making a duel call, but so far, I haven’t been able to access the answer/accept call button in time.

This leads me into the other issue. I so far have not been able to find any of the telephone settings for Skype. Settings in Skype appear to be super basic. Nothing however for voicemail greeting, managing call forwarding and or ringer time. I know I can probably if need be access some of these features via the Skype web account, but talk about a needless step backwards.

One other thing for Jaws users (I don’t use NVDA enough to know how the dictionary manager works), I had a bunch of saved entries for phone numbers to speak this or that clinic. It seems that the Skype app is Chrome based so, they didn’t port over. I’m sure I can go into my Jaws settings and try and play around with changing a dictionary manager file association, but again, just another inconvenience.

IN broad terms, the app all in all seems accessible and navigating around like a webpage is easy enough, but it lacks some serious functionality.

It is much easier to make calls, but receiving/answering… it’s still rough to say the least.

Hmph, its obvious that skype 7 is more accessible and usable and less crappy than skype 8 I do hope they fix it.

In the mean time I may have to get chrome and use hangouts or whats app or something.

On 7/31/2018 11:16 AM, Cristóbal wrote:
[...]

Its a pitty that we can't convince microsoft to port the classic skype interface over as a theme that we could all use if required.

[...]

Gene

A lot of these sorts of problems could be avoided if companies would properly beta test accessibility before foisting inferior new versions on blind people as production programs.  I don't go around crying discrimination, but this sort of thing, releasing an improperly evaluated version and making blind users responsible for alerting companies about problems, then having companies take months or longer to correct problems, is blatantly discriminatory.  If proper evaluation and beta testing is done in general, it should extend to accessibility.  I guess separate is not equal isn't supposed to extend to blind people.

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Initial Skype for desktop 8 feedback

> [...]

> or ringer time. I know I can probably if need be access some of these
> features via the Skype web account, but talk about a needless step
> backwards.
>
> One other thing for Jaws users (I don’t use NVDA enough to know how the
> dictionary manager works), I had a bunch of saved entries for phone numbers
> to speak this or that clinic. It seems that the Skype app is Chrome based
> so, they didn’t port over. I’m sure I can go into my Jaws settings and try
> and play around with changing a dictionary manager file association, but
> again, just another inconvenience.
>
> IN broad terms, the app all in all seems accessible and navigating around
> like a webpage is easy enough, but it lacks some serious functionality.
>
> It is much easier to make calls, but receiving/answering… it’s still rough

Well its a pitty they can't just port skype 7 interface over or just keep 7 about or something.

True 7 had its issues but for what it was it was fine.

On 7/31/2018 12:45 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Holger Fiallo <hfiallo@...>

skype is not accessible. I checked to see with W10 and jaws 2018. The only way I could get it from the store. There is no alt F to check menue.

> [...]

> or ringer time. I know I can probably if need be access some of these
> features via the Skype web account, but talk about a needless step
> backwards.
>
> One other thing for Jaws users (I don’t use NVDA enough to know how the
> dictionary manager works), I had a bunch of saved entries for phone numbers
> to speak this or that clinic. It seems that the Skype app is Chrome based
> so, they didn’t port over. I’m sure I can go into my Jaws settings and try
> and play around with changing a dictionary manager file association, but
> again, just another inconvenience.
>
> IN broad terms, the app all in all seems accessible and navigating around
> like a webpage is easy enough, but it lacks some serious functionality.
>
> It is much easier to make calls, but receiving/answering… it’s still rough

Rosemarie Chavarria

I'm in total agreement. We shouldn't have to be forced to make companies think of accessibility when developing new programs.

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 7:24 PM

> [...]

> or ringer time. I know I can probably if need be access some of these
> features via the Skype web account, but talk about a needless step
> backwards.
>
> One other thing for Jaws users (I don’t use NVDA enough to know how the
> dictionary manager works), I had a bunch of saved entries for phone numbers
> to speak this or that clinic. It seems that the Skype app is Chrome based
> so, they didn’t port over. I’m sure I can go into my Jaws settings and try
> and play around with changing a dictionary manager file association, but
> again, just another inconvenience.
>
> IN broad terms, the app all in all seems accessible and navigating around
> like a webpage is easy enough, but it lacks some serious functionality.
>
> It is much easier to make calls, but receiving/answering… it’s still rough

Lino Morales

This is why the Feedback Hub is your friend. MS is listening.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 7:24 PM

> [...]

> or ringer time. I know I can probably if need be access some of these
> features via the Skype web account, but talk about a needless step
> backwards.
>
> One other thing for Jaws users (I don’t use NVDA enough to know how the
> dictionary manager works), I had a bunch of saved entries for phone numbers
> to speak this or that clinic. It seems that the Skype app is Chrome based
> so, they didn’t port over. I’m sure I can go into my Jaws settings and try
> and play around with changing a dictionary manager file association, but
> again, just another inconvenience.
>
> IN broad terms, the app all in all seems accessible and navigating around
> like a webpage is easy enough, but it lacks some serious functionality.
>
> It is much easier to make calls, but receiving/answering… it’s still rough

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Which version of Skype is it you are referring to? I just read part of this thread and it sounds like some are referring to the app version that comes with windows 10 the Skype 8 for desk top version i think you can only get from Skype.com that one is more like a web page in the way you can jump around. it is not to much different to the web based version of skype which is through your browser.

I know there may be some limitations say on the web version but am sure if they are found in any of the versions and reported they will be fixed.

I am hoping to have the skype 8 for desk top tutorial uploaded tonight to my website. It has been half edited so far.

I only really use Skype for audio chats or maybe text chats but i guess also it depends what you want to do with it.

Gene nz

[...]

In my initial posting, I said Skype for desktop. Indeed it is fairly easy to get around Skype like a webpage, but the functionality like I described makes it a frustrating experience. Not that it’s not accessible, just that the way it is currently, there seem to be obstacles intended or not with this most recent release.

On Jul 30, 2018, at 6:57 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

I went to skype.com and there is no other. From there, it sends you to the microsoft store.

[...]

This is the page i got it off from from there website it is under the downloads section at https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/

Gene nz

On 7/31/2018 2:19 PM, Holger Fiallo wrote:
[...]

My sound is coming out my speakers on skype 8 for desk top It gave me a few options of which i just chose my speakers for sound and one for my mic I also had options so i could set my web cam.

Plus i was a little lazy and for incoming calls etc i just get them to answer automatically  which works well. I am sure when i went through the shortcuts there were plenty there to choose from but only learn the ones i need to.

for example alt + 1 for chats and alt + 2 for contacts etc There is also one that has you do like alt + F then it gives you options to call some one. I have when i do this go to the contact  who ever it is then do alt + F then go down the list to call then press the enter key.

There probabaly is a shortcut for it but i usually do it the way it works every time.

Gene nz

[...]

I just updated my 7.4 desktop application. You can also grab the desktop installer from Ninite.

[...]

Don't assume something is inaccessible just because there are no menus.  Apps, not applications, but Windows 10 apps, don't have menus.  They are accessed in other ways such as by using object navigation.  I don't have Windows 10 so others will have to discuss the matter further.

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 7:59 PM

> [...]

> or ringer time. I know I can probably if need be access some of these
> features via the Skype web account, but talk about a needless step
> backwards.
>
> One other thing for Jaws users (I don’t use NVDA enough to know how the
> dictionary manager works), I had a bunch of saved entries for phone numbers
> to speak this or that clinic. It seems that the Skype app is Chrome based
> so, they didn’t port over. I’m sure I can go into my Jaws settings and try
> and play around with changing a dictionary manager file association, but
> again, just another inconvenience.
>
> IN broad terms, the app all in all seems accessible and navigating around
> like a webpage is easy enough, but it lacks some serious functionality.
>
> It is much easier to make calls, but receiving/answering… it’s still rough

Cristóbal

Where are you seeing this option to select speakers for the ringer. Under audio/video settings, all I get is the mic combo box, the speakers combo box and a volume slider.  This is what I get in the audio and video settings sections for Skype desktop.

Skype Preview
Call or send SMS messages to this number

160

$0.00
Type an SMS here
Type an SMS here
edit
Close
Button
Audio & Video Settings

Make a free test call
Button Microphone
Microphone, Microphone (2- Logitech USB Headset), selected
button menu
Automatically adjust microphone settings
Switch On  Automatically adjust microphone settings

Speakers
Speakers, Speakers (2- Logitech USB Headset), selected
button menu Change speaker volume
2
left right slider Start audio test
Button

[...]

All right, so I think I found where to enable/disable call forwarding, but still nothing about redirecting ringer sound. That and the issue with accepting an incoming call/ starting an outgoing call at the same time is still something to deal with.

[...]

Then I would suggest that those commenting on this and on other aspects of Microsoft accessibility, where applicable, make a point of stressing that accessibility must be tested by a good number of knowledgeable blind users, just as you beta test any aspect of a program.

Company after company that is actually interested in accessibility doesn't do this.  Look at what happened with Malware Bytes.  For perhaps half a year or more, the program was not properly accessible because the company didn't have accessibility evaluated by knowledgeable blind users.  They foisted the brave new version on blind users, got lots of complaints, and then blind users had to wait for a new version of the program before accessibility was more or less implemented correctly.

This sounds like a similar situation in terms of whether the program was evaluated by knowledgeable blind beta testers before release.  No company would do this with sighted users.  They would be a laughing stock.  They need to be made aware that blindness does not give license for second-rate practices and standards.

If there are technical problems that need to be worked out that will delay accessibility, that's different.  But I'm talking about cases where there are none and all these problems are being caused by improper beta testing for accessibility.  What has been discussed here are interface problems, not fundamental technical problems.

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 8:11 PM

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 7:24 PM

> [...]

> or ringer time. I know I can probably if need be access some of these
> features via the Skype web account, but talk about a needless step
> backwards.
>
> One other thing for Jaws users (I don’t use NVDA enough to know how the
> dictionary manager works), I had a bunch of saved entries for phone numbers
> to speak this or that clinic. It seems that the Skype app is Chrome based
> so, they didn’t port over. I’m sure I can go into my Jaws settings and try
> and play around with changing a dictionary manager file association, but
> again, just another inconvenience.
>
> IN broad terms, the app all in all seems accessible and navigating around
> like a webpage is easy enough, but it lacks some serious functionality.
>
> It is much easier to make calls, but receiving/answering… it’s still rough

Hi when you look at yours it shows your headset for both mic and speakers. Do your speakers not show under the speakers section mine are plugged into the back of the computer. I am not using a headset it is a seperate mic also in the back of the computer.

I had my web cam plugged in but is out at the moment but it showed that for camera and also the mic on it showed under the mic section. it was a combo box in these sections i changed to what i wanted. Some of then had 3 just in the one section  i could chose from.

this is what it shows under my section for audio and video below

Microphone
Microphone, Microphone (VIA HD Audio), selected
Automatically adjust microphone settings
Automatically adjust microphone settings
Speakers
Speakers, Speakers (VIA HD Audio), selected
Change speaker volume
Start audio test
VIDEO
Camera
No device found.

I just went back in also looking for calling to see where it was when i set skype to automatically answer it was under a calling section.

But was sure it was near the application and audio and video sections i think it depends which section you go into.

Gene nz

Gene nz

On 7/31/2018 3:01 PM, Cristóbal wrote:

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Go to more. It’s there. I managed to set everything up just by tabbing. It’s actually rather easy to get around.

For a list that discusses skype alone go to skypeenglish.tffppodcast.com and subscribe there.