nvda and microsoft word

Lisa-Maree

Hello,
I have a Microsoft word issue I could do with some ideas on if anyone has any.

I have a document I can read fine with NVDA in protected view mode, but when I take protected view mode off to edit it, NVDA stops being able to read it properly. Run out of things to try.

Any ideas? [smile].

Lisa-Maree

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi Lisa,

I would like to try to help with this, if I can!

Can you say what version of Word you are using, What version of Windows and the version of NVDA that you are using? This will set the grounds for investigation

I use Word 2016 with the latest NVDA (version 2018.2.1) and windows 10.

I often get word files as attachments to emails and Windows always puts them into protected mode (this is the default action). When I unprotect them, I can read them fine. That is why I would ask you to describe your actions step by step from the point of opening the word file, how you unprotect it. Tell us what you expect to find in the document and what you are not hearing after that.

All the best,

Cearbhall

I have a Microsoft word issue I could do with some ideas on if anyone has any.

I have a document I can read fine with NVDA in protected view mode, but when I take protected view mode off to edit it, NVDA stops being able to read it properly. Run out of things to try.

Any ideas? [smile].

Lisa-Maree

Well if its written weirdly, the easiest way to handle it I am assuming its not your document, is save the file to another file using the default word format and try again.

If that doesn't select all with control a and do a control c and transfer it into another blank word document, save that document as another document and then handle it that way, if its yours I am not sure.

On 8/1/2018 12:29 AM, Lisa-Maree wrote:
Hello,
I have a Microsoft word issue I could do with some ideas on if anyone has any.

I have a document I can read fine with NVDA in protected view mode, but when I take protected view mode off to edit it, NVDA stops being able to read it properly. Run out of things to try.

Any ideas? [smile].

Lisa-Maree

.

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Lisa,

I sometimes find that NVDA will not read a word document when I take the write protect off it. I then press alt-tab to move the focus away from the Word screen and then alt-tab back to the Word document again and then it does read it after a bit of a pause (literally milliseconds!). Have you tried that?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Well if its written weirdly, the easiest way to handle it I am assuming its not your document, is save the file to another file using the default word format and try again.

If that doesn't select all with control a and do a control c and transfer it into another blank word document, save that document as another document and then handle it that way, if its yours I am not sure.

On 8/1/2018 12:29 AM, Lisa-Maree wrote:
Hello,
I have a Microsoft word issue I could do with some ideas on if anyone has any.

I have a document I can read fine with NVDA in protected view mode, but when I take protected view mode off to edit it, NVDA stops being able to read it properly. Run out of things to try.

Any ideas? [smile].

Lisa-Maree

.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Lisa-Maree,

Word does some funny things with documents sometimes.  Try Cearbhall's suggestion of alt+tabbing away and back.  If that doesn't help, let us know.  If you would like, you are most welcome to email the document directly to me at info@... and I'd be happy to have a look.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>

I'm not sure how you're un-protecting the document, but whenever I get one of those protected documents in Microsoft Word, I press Control plus S. I then get a dialog telling me that I need to enable saving. I press Tab until I get to the button for that option and press Enter. Then, the document works as it should. You might try this. Good luck.

Lisa-Maree

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies, ideas and help.

I have windows 10 on both my laptop and desktop, with NVDA 2018.2.1 and word 2013.

This is what I have achieved so far.

Firstly, this is an assessment work book for my course, which you have to fill in to have your assessment done, so you have edit boxes and some combo boxes. So far I have managed to get the document to read fairly well on my laptop, but not my desktop, which is just weird since they both run the same setup. In reading mode of word I can read the document and it will show me the edit boxes and combo boxes, some of which are set out in tables. To fill them in I need to put word into print layout view in order to write in edit boxes, or choose combo box type answers. A little fiddly, but probably not impossible :). In prin layout mode it will default to reading the edit or combo box, so using the key combination to read tables is how you read the label for each thing. Ok, so it's not perfect, and probably should read better, but the fact that it does read, and can be used is definitely a plus :).

On the desktop, the edit boxes and combo boxes do not speak, but there is NVDA plus H which will give focus to those boxes, and tell you to type here. Work arounds yes, and if anyone has any more ideas tips or suggestions on this, I know it's a little complicated, please let me know. I'm sure there's something I probably haven't tried yet :).

Lisa-Maree

I have a Microsoft word issue I could do with some ideas on if anyone has any.

I have a document I can read fine with NVDA in protected view mode, but when I take protected view mode off to edit it, NVDA stops being able to read it properly. Run out of things to try.

Any ideas? [smile].

Lisa-Maree

I found a faster way of doing this is to hit F6 and cycle through until it mentions protected view… And then choose unprotect.

Melissa

On Aug 1, 2018, at 5:30 PM, Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...> wrote:

I'm not sure how you're un-protecting the document, but whenever I get one of those protected documents in Microsoft Word, I press Control plus S. I then get a dialog telling me that I need to enable saving. I press Tab until I get to the button for that option and press Enter. Then, the document works as it should. You might try this. Good luck.

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Lisa,

You describe your use of the print and read modes of the word document itself. Do you use NVDA's browse and focus modes? When I use a form, I find that the editor (usually wiziwig) in the edit box is not fully accessible and so I keep browse mode on as I move around the form so that I can read the headings and get a feel for the document. Since Word has to be in print mode to allow editing, I keep Word in that mode as I work through the form. When I need to find an edit box in the form while I am in NVDA browse mode, I can press the letter "e" to jump to the nearest edit box and keep pressing "e" until I get to the box I need. I might actually use numpad "-" to bring NVDA to the part of the form where I need to be and then the letter "e" will land on the edit box that I need. Pressing enter here opens the edit box and turns on NVDA Focus mode which allows me to edit the box.

You may already follow this procedure yourself. The main point I am making is that navigating with Word in print mode might be tricky unless the NVDA browse and focus modes are carefully managed.

Is this any help to your query?

All the best,

Cearbhall