Topics

some questions about NVDA

abdul muhamin

Hi all. Here are some questions I want to ask

  1. Can we expect flexible web with NVDA in future?
  2. What about the screen curtain addon for NVDA?
  3. As you all know, Narrator has an image description feature, why we doesn’t have this important feature in NVDA?
  4. In the early updates of win10. When the win10 OCR implemented on NVDA. It recognize almost everything, for example, the photos in photos app, even I used it for reading video games menu. But now, its very laggy. And doesn’t recognize as it was before. Why is that?
  5. In Microsoft office 2013 or 2016, the NVDA has so many delays, while reading, writing, and while reading the ribbon menus, why?
  6. In the modern browsers like the Firefox quantum, solving captcha images is the main issue for many vi people. Can we expect a feature in NVDA for it
  7. Last question, I’m using Microsoft mail app. And I’ve created a sepret profile for it. Sometimes after reading or replying to a mail. When I press windows plus m to move to the desktop. The NVDA stops reading anything. And it force me to restart the NVDA, why?

I hope all of the above mentioned problems will be fixed in the

Future!

Keep the NVDA alive!

Thanks.

Regards

Abdul muhamin

Chief Content Officer at

Blind Help Project

Quentin Christensen

Hi Abdul,

1) I haven't been paying attention, I'm not sure what Flexible web is?
2) There is a screen curtain feature being tested currently.  You can read more and try it here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7857
3) Image description:  Good idea, There was an issue created awhile ago, but it doesn't appear anyone has looked at the current situation: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7671
4) Re OCR has gone downhill.  I'm not sure.  It's not even something that's easy to replicate
5) There are several performance issues with Office we are slowly working on.  If you have a particular one in mind, search for it on our Issue tracker and you will hopefully find a relevant conversation to follow: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues
6) Unlikely.  The problem is that CAPTCHAs are designed to make you do something that proves you are a human, so bots and computer generated algorithms can't get past them.  Ergo, WE can't write an algorithm to defeat them (and if we do, they will change the test, because if we can, the spammers can too).  The best approach is to advocate for change in addressing the problem that CAPTCHA seeks to solve.
7) Not sure off the top of my head.  After it happens, if you could send me a copy of your NVDA log, ideally at debug level  (to info@... ) I can have a look and try for you.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

abdul muhamin

Hi Quentin. Thanks for the reply. I’ll send the log. If that happened again. And yes. Creating that kind of algorithms is dangerous too. If you create an addon or something. The bots can use that. But in the newer version of Firefox. Which service should I use. As you know. The webvisum is gone. And it can no longer useable with latest Firefox. And about the flexible web. You can read about on this page

Thanks

Abdul Muhamin

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Hi again

I’ve seen the post on GitHub about Screen shade. And I’ve found the addon. And I must say, its working flawlessly. It should be implemented in NVDA it self

[...]

Jonathan COHN

Flexible web maintains a database of web sites and then can do one of two things when a site is loaded.

  1. Changing the initial  place where the screen reader speaks.
  2. Hide a sub tree of the current page from view by the screen reader.

The selectors are usually something like:

  1. all frames,
  2. first frame with the title Advert
  3. Third H3 heading
  4. Last H3 heading
  5. List with class TOC

Take care.

Jonathan Cohn

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>
Date: Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 3:33 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Yep

I downloaded it and sussed it out. My wife who is sighted said she could not see any thing at all only the mouse.

I had a quick play with it on going through different screens and it done its job.

Now all it needs is to assign a short cut or gesture to turn it on and off. I guess that will maybe done in the next update to that add on?

It did make me laugh i had the monitor off as that is the way i usually do it no use having it on if you can not see it then called the wife. she said the monitor was off so she turned it on but it was black as apart from the mouse. got her to use the computer that way for a little then told her how to disable it.

It does it job.

Gene nz

On 8/3/2018 1:07 AM, abdul muhamin wrote:

[...]

hi.
i have only an acer laptop and wish to turn off the monitor.
can someone please help me how to do it?

On 8/3/18, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz> wrote:
[...]

10

Hi Quentin. Thanks for the reply. I’ll send the log. If that happened again.
And yes. Creating that kind of algorithms is dangerous too. If you create an
addon or something. The bots can use that. But in the newer version of
Firefox. Which service should I use. As you know. The webvisum is gone. And
it can no longer useable with latest Firefox. And about the flexible web.
You can read about on this
page<https://www.freedomscientific.com/Services/TrainingAndCertification/WebinarDetail/F0077>
Thanks
Abdul Muhamin