Opening links to embedded files in Firefox

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi,

I hope someone can point out what I am not doing right!

I am using Firefox 47.0.1 Windows 10 and NVDA 2016 v2.1.

Lately, I find that I cannot open embedded links that point to a document in PDF or Word when it is embedded in a report or article in Firefox.  I used to be able to do this before. Can anyone explain what has happened? I think I read that some web sites need to know what reader tools are available in the calling browser, is this true?

I find that I do not have this problem in Internet Explorer (v11). There I have only to press space bar on the link to the file and it opens in Adobe Acrobat without any problem!

All the best,

Cearbhall

Would you be able to supply the URL to an example of what you're having trouble with?

I can take a look and see how Firefox behaves for me and what may or may not be being announced or need to be tweaked.  I have Firefox set up to open all PDF files externally in the PDF reader of my choosing rather than in the browser using a plug-in.  I've never found any browser's PDF plug-in to be nearly as user friendly as the PDF Reader program of an individual user's choosing.

It has nothing to do with web sites.  If you look through the categories in options, one of them will be programs.  Use the search to find the file type you want, for example, type pdf.  Then down arrow and look at the results.  You can then tab around and see what is available for the result.  I believe you can arrow to the result in the find and then tab around and see options for that and other choices of actions.  But you will have to experiment and perhaps ask more questions.  You may have to, for example, open combo boxes as you tab to them and work with them so that you don't constantly loose your place in the dialog.  If you don't,, I believe the combo box takes an action each time you move and you are placed in another field.  I've almost never used this dialog, as I said.  I'm trying to give you some idea of how to work with it but I haven't used it to the extent that my explanation will be more than ideas for experimentation.

And if you do open a combo box and move to an item, I believe you have to press enter on the item once you move to it, though again, you will have to experiment.  Tabbing may be all you have to do.

Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 5:43 PM
Subject: [nvda] Opening links to embedded files in Firefox

Hi,

I hope someone can point out what I am not doing right!

I am using Firefox 47.0.1 Windows 10 and NVDA 2016 v2.1.

Lately, I find that I cannot open embedded links that point to a document in PDF or Word when it is embedded in a report or article in Firefox.  I used to be able to do this before. Can anyone explain what has happened? I think I read that some web sites need to know what reader tools are available in the calling browser, is this true?

I find that I do not have this problem in Internet Explorer (v11). There I have only to press space bar on the link to the file and it opens in Adobe Acrobat without any problem!

All the best,

Cearbhall

Well I use ff 48, and yes, you need to be sure that the programs associated with certain file extensions are set sensibly in windows 10.
I have however more recently found that Firefox attempts this but often ends up with a weird situation where it won't read the file. Saving the file and then using a reader of your choice seems to wrk however, and its not just on windows 10 either. 7 has similar issues on pdf and some other file types.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I hope someone can point out what I am not doing right!

I am using Firefox 47.0.1 Windows 10 and NVDA 2016 v2.1.

Lately, I find that I cannot open embedded links that point to a document in
PDF or Word when it is embedded in a report or article in Firefox. I used
to be able to do this before. Can anyone explain what has happened? I think
I read that some web sites need to know what reader tools are available in
the calling browser, is this true?

I find that I do not have this problem in Internet Explorer (v11). There I
have only to press space bar on the link to the file and it opens in Adobe
Acrobat without any problem!

All the best,

Cearbhall

version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader
<http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> for free now!

Yes indeed that was what I was getting at in my post. The daft thing is often even though you set pdf reader it still uses its own. That is why I save them first then forcibly load them. I also find the pdf reader in webbie very handy at times as well.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Would you be able to supply the URL to an example of what you're having trouble with?

I can take a look and see how Firefox behaves for me and what may or may not be being announced or need to be tweaked. I have Firefox set up to open all PDF files externally in the PDF reader of my choosing rather than in the browser using a plug-in. I've never found any browser's PDF plug-in to be nearly as user friendly as the PDF Reader program of an individual user's choosing.

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"