From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of bob jutzi
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 12:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Free, accessible TV software

Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if possible, want this as a last resort.

To be honest you would need a tv tuner card.

And to be honest with netflicks and other stuff about thats going to not be a problem.

Depending on your country or if you use a vpn, you should be able to watch streams of other networks.

I for example have the local tv station network and I can watch their on demand shows.

No idea how you would watch live broadcasts but there is enough out there that you can at least watch what you want.

On 8/2/2018 5:55 AM, bob jutzi wrote:
Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if possible, want this as a last resort.

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

Sorry, I should have indicated TV Tuning software for use with a TV tuner adapter such as can be done using Windows Media Center under Windows 7.

Could you provide more context on what you mean by watching TV? I typically just go to Netflix.com in Firefox, log in, search for the movie I want, and add it to my list, or play. You should see if what is built into Windows 10 will work, if you need something else. Going back to Windows 7 to watch TV is not acceptable. That tells people developing for Windows 10 that it is okay for their software to be inaccessible.
Mike
Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?
If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if possible, want this as a last resort.

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

We're gonig to end up cutting the cord so just want to be able to pull in locals. I already have a USB TV tuner.

On 8/1/2018 2:20 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
To be honest you would need a tv tuner card.
And to be honest with netflicks and other stuff about thats going to not be a problem.
Depending on your country or if you use a vpn, you should be able to watch streams of other networks.
I for example have the local tv station network and I can watch their on demand shows.
No idea how you would watch live broadcasts but there is enough out there that you can at least watch what you want.
On 8/2/2018 5:55 AM, bob jutzi wrote:
Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if possible, want this as a last resort.

Walker, Michael E

Does Windows 10 not have Windows Media Center? Have you tried going to the start menu and typing Windows Media Center into the search? Maybe they call it something different in Windows 10, or have a replacement program built in for it. If you are still not sure what to do, try a Google search for Windows 10 Media Center, and it should tell you what is the new toy on the market. Sorry, I do not keep up with this stuff adequately. I just look at what I need, and learn about a new app, as I go along. I mostly use iTunes, e-mail, and the web.

Mike

Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if
possible, want this as a last resort.

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

Thanks. Just tried a Start Menu search which brought up Microsoft's page informing me that Windows Media Center for Windows 10 has been discontinued. Hopefully there are other options but for now, there's always Windows 7.

On 8/1/2018 2:31 PM, Walker, Michael E wrote:
Does Windows 10 not have Windows Media Center? Have you tried going to the start menu and typing Windows Media Center into the search? Maybe they call it something different in Windows 10, or have a replacement program built in for it. If you are still not sure what to do, try a Google search for Windows 10 Media Center, and it should tell you what is the new toy on the market. Sorry, I do not keep up with this stuff adequately. I just look at what I need, and learn about a new app, as I go along. I mostly use iTunes, e-mail, and the web.
Mike

Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if
possible, want this as a last resort.

Lino Morales

Sorry this does not exist in WIN 10. I suggest a simple HD antenna on a good ole HD TV. I know there is a piece of Software called Chris TV, but don’t know if it works with NVDA or how it works in general. Do a web search on said software.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Does Windows 10 not have Windows Media Center? Have you tried going to the start menu and typing Windows Media Center into the search? Maybe they call it something different in Windows 10, or have a replacement program built in for it. If you are still not sure what to do, try a Google search for Windows 10 Media Center, and it should tell you what is the new toy on the market. Sorry, I do not keep up with this stuff adequately. I just look at what I need, and learn about a new app, as I go along. I mostly use iTunes, e-mail, and the web.

Mike

Sorry, I should have indicated TV Tuning software for use with a TV tuner adapter such as can be done using Windows Media Center under Windows 7.

On 8/1/2018 2:19 PM, Walker, Michael E wrote:
> Could you provide more context on what you mean by watching TV? I
> typically just go to Netflix.com in Firefox, log in, search for the
> movie I want, and add it to my list, or play. You should see if what
> is built into Windows 10 will work, if you need something else. Going
> back to Windows 7 to watch TV is not acceptable. That tells people
> developing for Windows 10 that it is okay for their software to be inaccessible.
>
> Mike

I think Windows 7 goes end of life in 2020 though, meaning you won't get security updates. That is not a viable option. Try a Google search for what the new toy on the market is. Google Windows Media Center replacement.

Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if
possible, want this as a last resort.

Stephen

I use a program called NextPVR with my USB TV tuner card.
It is very good, and it has a web interface that you can use to schedule your recordings, then you can use whatever media player you are comfortable with to play your recordings.
The setup process is very accessible.

Sent from <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>Mail for Windows 10

----------
Does Windows 10 not have Windows Media Center? Have you tried going to the start menu and typing Windows Media Center into the search? Maybe they call it something different in Windows 10, or have a replacement program built in for it. If you are still not sure what to do, try a Google search for Windows 10 Media Center, and it should tell you what is the new toy on the market. Sorry, I do not keep up with this stuff adequately. I just look at what I need, and learn about a new app, as I go along. I mostly use iTunes, e-mail, and the web.

Mike

Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if
possible, want this as a last resort.

what usb tv card u using?

--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi what USB TV tuner card do you have and can you get cable TV on it as well?

Where can you purchase this TV tuner card that you have and how well does it work with Jaws or NVDA?

At 04:38 AM 8/2/2018, you wrote:

[...]

I think any digital TV USB card will work with it, but for the record, I'm using a Kaiser baas TV stick.
I know next to nothing about cable TV though, sorry.

At 04:38 AM 8/2/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Screen reader wise, I don't think it's the card itself you need to worry about, but what you do need to be concerned about is the default software that comes with the card, in my case, it was a piece of software called ArcSoft Total media. It does not work with screen readers at all.
Luckily, you can use your own DVR solution, such as NextPVR.

At 04:38 AM 8/2/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Well I wouldn't trust some of that software.

Try installing cyberlink media suite from win7 on your win10 system so your cd drive will work with the system, pritty quickly you will find that its not compatible though it will install, but on restart you won't have any cd driver access.

I had to reset the system to get cd driver access back, I was doing a reload of the workstation here a few months back and it kept happening, I tried 5 times, and each time had to reformat to get windows to work again.

After 10 resets and 5 more reformats I had to put the cds in the bin and just do without them.

At 04:38 AM 8/2/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think this is a big problem generally. The first thing is to define what tv system its to work with. National differences are quite radical, and of course the adaptor which is feeding the computer could be any from built in cards to usb dongles and online tv, Sat tv or terrestrial with all the different systems for AD and program guides in different parts of the world.
I do not think anyone has cracked it globally. there is still this tendency by the makers of this software that as its a visual thing, no point in making it work for blind people is there, kind of mindset.
However if anyone does find such universal software then bring it on.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if
possible, want this as a last resort.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

To be honest, I'd not worry too much about end of life since xp is still in use and the much hyped threat of infection of these machines seems not to have materialised!

I would dispute that the Mediacentre is any good for UK tv access of ad or program guides.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I think Windows 7 goes end of life in 2020 though, meaning you won't get security updates. That is not a viable option. Try a Google search for what the new toy on the market is. Google Windows Media Center replacement.

Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if
possible, want this as a last resort.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Actually most tv big names do talking sets if you go for their smart models, but the apps for online use are seldom accessible, which is a bit of a nonsense when you consider the investment they have made on talking menues, but this is really off topic here. A more general access list might give more answers for the country needed.

________________________________
Does Windows 10 not have Windows Media Center? Have you tried going to the start menu and typing Windows Media Center into the search? Maybe they call it something different in Windows 10, or have a replacement program built in for it. If you are still not sure what to do, try a Google search for Windows 10 Media Center, and it should tell you what is the new toy on the market. Sorry, I do not keep up with this stuff adequately. I just look at what I need, and learn about a new app, as I go along. I mostly use iTunes, e-mail, and the web.

Mike

Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if
possible, want this as a last resort.

Well if next pvr works with everything maybe thats fine.

Ofcause with all the  tvs being digital it may be easier to set an apple tv for tv viewing its a bit of a cost.

Or get used to your tv you have, not all channels can have audio descriptions and while some tvs do have accessibility in them including samsung ones, my 24 inch soni is not.

I got a sightling to set the tv and it works, ofcause you need to memorise the channels you need and then go for it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "bob jutzi" <jutzi1@gmail.com>
Anyone know of Win10 software for watching TV which works with NVDA?

If needed, I could revert back to Windows7 on my other system but if
possible, want this as a last resort.

.

Stephen

NextPVR does all of that for you.
The channel scanning is extremely accessible, and setting the software to record via the web interface is a breeze.