Windows 10 infoormation

Nicholas Stevens

Hi all,
Hope somebody can maybe assist me with some Windows 10 inforrmation.
I'm considering maybe buying a computer which is running Windows 10 to repllace this computer which is old and giving me plenty of problems. Is it very easy to use Windows 10 or is it a huge adjustment? I have previously worked on a pc rnning Windows 8.
My mane questions for thee moment are:
1. I use Openbook 8.0 for scanning and reading documents. Would I be able to run it on Windows 10 or would I have to purchase another copy?
2. Is there a certain amount of memory that I should get when upgrading to Windows 10 or doesn't it make a differencce. I'm aware that I have to run NVDA as Jaws doesn't support Windows 10 unless upgrading to the latest Jaws.
If anybody has any other advice and tips for me I would really apreciate it.
I llook forward too your responses.
Regards
Nicholas

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi Nicholas,

I amusing Windows 10 without any problems using NVDA 2016.2.1 and JAWS 17. I
don't use Openbook but I found an article on the web that I think should
encourage you to go ahead and use Openbook 8:
https://groups.io/g/blindtech/topic/openbook_on_windows_10_does/788771?p=,,,
20,0,0,0:RecentPostDate,,,20,2,0,788771

Would this be any help?

All the best,

Cearbhall

-----
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

[...]

Jenine Stanley

I’m in the process of making the switch to Windows 10 on my work machine and, trying it on one of our home machines, I have to say I’m impressed with how responsive it seems and how different it’s not, from Windows 7 that is.

I do have to do some digging to find things that have been renamed or placed in odd locations but if you’ve used Windows 8 in any form, the locations are similar. I may have even converted my husband who is a devout Windows 8.1 pro user.
Jenine Stanley

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

-----
[...]

Hello!
Answers:
1. Don't know about openBook support in Windows 10 (never used it).
2. Using NVDA 2016.2.1 and the latest Windows 10 version (1607 (build
14393 (the latest Anniversary update))) I can say that using it is
very good, ignoring some non-saying character issues when typing...
Anyway with NVDA usage is really good! Cannot say more about JAWS
(herd that with the latest version it works also very well).
Sincerely,
Paulius Leveris

[...]

Thanks for your reply.
I'll definitely check i out. See link of possible computer I was thinking of. Let me know what you think of it.
Regards
Nicholas.

[...]

Avast logo

Nicholas Stevens

Hi Paulius,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Check out the below link of possible computer I was considering. Have no iidea if it's the latest upgrade. The advert jut sas Windows 10. Let me know what you think.
http://www.dionwired.co.za/dell-dell-intel-core-i3-notebook-00738054.html
Look forward to your reply.
Regards
Nicholas

[...]

Hi Cearbhall,
Thanks for responding to me and for sending me the link to the artiicle. I'll definitelyy check it out.
See link to computer that iI'm considering buying. Let me know what you think.
[...]

Lino Morales

As far as memory you need 2 GB to run 10. I'd go 5 to 8 if I was you. If you have ran WIN 8 which you have I don't think it should be that big of an adjustment. Shoot I whent from using XP to WIN 10 last year. Kerzweil 1000, Open book etc. should work great with WIN 10.

On 8/14/2016 10:49 AM, Nicholas Stevens wrote:
[...]

Kevin Cussick

you will not have really any problem using and running windows10, try and get the best computer you can afford if you can get one with an ssd do that this will speed things up loads. good luck.

On 14/08/2016 15:49, Nicholas Stevens wrote:
[...]

Gene

I don't think it is good procedure to give general advice such as to get the best computer you can afford.  Would you tell someone to get the most expensive car or stereo or television they can afford?  A lot of people don't need anything more than a computer in the moderate price range.  They don't need machines designed for power users or gamers.  In addition, some people may not care if they have an SSD or not.  I don't.  My computer is plenty fast for my needs and desires.

Get the best you can afford is as bad general advice for computers as for anything else you are contemplating purchasing.

Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:14 PM

you will not have really any problem using and running windows10,   try
and get the best computer you can afford if you can get one with an ssd
do that this will speed things up loads.   good luck.

On 14/08/2016 15:49, Nicholas Stevens wrote:
> Hi all,
> Hope somebody can maybe assist me with some Windows 10 inforrmation.
> I'm considering maybe buying a computer which is running Windows 10 to
> repllace this computer which is old and giving me plenty of problems. Is
> it very easy to use Windows 10 or is it a huge adjustment? I have
> previously worked on a pc rnning Windows 8.
> My mane questions for thee moment are:
> 1. I use Openbook 8.0 for scanning and reading documents. Would I be
> able to run it on Windows 10 or would I have to purchase another copy?
> 2. Is there a certain amount of memory that I should get when upgrading
> to Windows 10 or doesn't it make a differencce. I'm aware that I have to
> run NVDA as Jaws doesn't support Windows 10 unless upgrading to the
> latest Jaws.
> If anybody has any other advice and tips for me I would really apreciate
> it.
> I llook forward too your responses.
> Regards
> Nicholas

Lino Morales

Geeno hate to say it dude, but here it go. Opinions are ass holes. Everyone has them including you. Its just advice. Now let us proceed with other list delemas shall we? Gracias.

Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:14 PM

you will not have really any problem using and running windows10,   try
and get the best computer you can afford if you can get one with an ssd
do that this will speed things up loads.   good luck.

On 14/08/2016 15:49, Nicholas Stevens wrote:
> Hi all,
> Hope somebody can maybe assist me with some Windows 10 inforrmation.
> I'm considering maybe buying a computer which is running Windows 10 to
> repllace this computer which is old and giving me plenty of problems. Is
> it very easy to use Windows 10 or is it a huge adjustment? I have
> previously worked on a pc rnning Windows 8.
> My mane questions for thee moment are:
> 1. I use Openbook 8.0 for scanning and reading documents. Would I be
> able to run it on Windows 10 or would I have to purchase another copy?
> 2. Is there a certain amount of memory that I should get when upgrading
> to Windows 10 or doesn't it make a differencce. I'm aware that I have to
> run NVDA as Jaws doesn't support Windows 10 unless upgrading to the
> latest Jaws.
> If anybody has any other advice and tips for me I would really apreciate
> it.
> I llook forward too your responses.
> Regards
> Nicholas

Chris Mullins

That spec is fine, very similar to my computer in fact but yours has a larger HD and 1Gb more memory than mine.  I upgraded mine from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I’m very pleased with how it performs.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 6:25 PM

[...]

Try Spam Reader (
http://www.spam-reader.com) for free now!

[...]

If I have an opinion that differs from someone elses, and if I think another opinion is bad advice, I have every right to express it in a civil manner.  And indeed, I may be helping people by doing so

Just because someone expresses an opinion doesn't mean that it can't or shouldn't be challenged.  Your argument implies that all opinions are equal and that there is no reason to challenge an opinion you disagree with.  I'll let list members decide if they believe mine or the original opinion is better.  I won't argue the question.  Some people may decide neither is better.

From
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:50 PM

Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:14 PM

you will not have really any problem using and running windows10,   try
and get the best computer you can afford if you can get one with an ssd
do that this will speed things up loads.   good luck.

On 14/08/2016 15:49, Nicholas Stevens wrote:
> Hi all,
> Hope somebody can maybe assist me with some Windows 10 inforrmation.
> I'm considering maybe buying a computer which is running Windows 10 to
> repllace this computer which is old and giving me plenty of problems. Is
> it very easy to use Windows 10 or is it a huge adjustment? I have
> previously worked on a pc rnning Windows 8.
> My mane questions for thee moment are:
> 1. I use Openbook 8.0 for scanning and reading documents. Would I be
> able to run it on Windows 10 or would I have to purchase another copy?
> 2. Is there a certain amount of memory that I should get when upgrading
> to Windows 10 or doesn't it make a differencce. I'm aware that I have to
> run NVDA as Jaws doesn't support Windows 10 unless upgrading to the
> latest Jaws.
> If anybody has any other advice and tips for me I would really apreciate
> it.
> I llook forward too your responses.
> Regards
> Nicholas

Lino Morales

Fair enough. Somedays I wish Joseph was mod again.

Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:50 PM

Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:14 PM

you will not have really any problem using and running windows10,   try
and get the best computer you can afford if you can get one with an ssd
do that this will speed things up loads.   good luck.

On 14/08/2016 15:49, Nicholas Stevens wrote:
> Hi all,
> Hope somebody can maybe assist me with some Windows 10 inforrmation.
> I'm considering maybe buying a computer which is running Windows 10 to
> repllace this computer which is old and giving me plenty of problems. Is
> it very easy to use Windows 10 or is it a huge adjustment? I have
> previously worked on a pc rnning Windows 8.
> My mane questions for thee moment are:
> 1. I use Openbook 8.0 for scanning and reading documents. Would I be
> able to run it on Windows 10 or would I have to purchase another copy?
> 2. Is there a certain amount of memory that I should get when upgrading
> to Windows 10 or doesn't it make a differencce. I'm aware that I have to
> run NVDA as Jaws doesn't support Windows 10 unless upgrading to the
> latest Jaws.
> If anybody has any other advice and tips for me I would really apreciate
> it.
> I llook forward too your responses.
> Regards
> Nicholas

Gene

I didn't keep your message because I wasn't going to respond to it.  But it should be responded to, I believe after further reflection.

First, I wasn't writing as a moderator.  So your comment is completely uncalled for.  Second, I very seldom moderate the list because people generally follow list rules so, again, your comment is completely without basis.  Since I almost never moderate, you have almost no information about how I moderate.  Is that how you disagree with people?  Insult them?

I responded to your message not to respond to you for the most part.  But it is important that list members realize that I keep a strict separation between my role as moderator and my role as list member.  I would have written exactly what I wrote in my previous messages if I were not a moderator.  I was writing as a member.

Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:50 PM

Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:14 PM

you will not have really any problem using and running windows10,   try
and get the best computer you can afford if you can get one with an ssd
do that this will speed things up loads.   good luck.

On 14/08/2016 15:49, Nicholas Stevens wrote:
> Hi all,
> Hope somebody can maybe assist me with some Windows 10 inforrmation.
> I'm considering maybe buying a computer which is running Windows 10 to
> repllace this computer which is old and giving me plenty of problems. Is
> it very easy to use Windows 10 or is it a huge adjustment? I have
> previously worked on a pc rnning Windows 8.
> My mane questions for thee moment are:
> 1. I use Openbook 8.0 for scanning and reading documents. Would I be
> able to run it on Windows 10 or would I have to purchase another copy?
> 2. Is there a certain amount of memory that I should get when upgrading
> to Windows 10 or doesn't it make a differencce. I'm aware that I have to
> run NVDA as Jaws doesn't support Windows 10 unless upgrading to the
> latest Jaws.
> If anybody has any other advice and tips for me I would really apreciate
> it.
> I llook forward too your responses.
> Regards
> Nicholas

David Tanner

For open book go to the freedom scientific webpage and downloaded the latest update to open book 9 so that it will work with windows 10.

David Tanner

From my iPhone 6 S

On Aug 14, 2016, at 4:11 PM, Lino Morales <linomorales001@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hi Nicholas

I am not sure of Open Book.

We use Windows 10 at the College as you know, and my laptop runs Windows 10
without a problem on 4 GB RAM. It is a 64 Bit system so 4 GB is
recommended.

Heaven Botma
Dosent
Lecturer

T: 023 348 7634
C: 079 512 2856
F: 023 342 3959
E: heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org
W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org
Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street
Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

[...]

You can't go wrong with Dell.

Personally I prefer Dell, Toshiba or Asus. Acer is also good, but stay away
from Linovo and even further away from HP, because those tend to give the
most problems. I have had more students asking my advice about the last
mentioned brands than anything else.

Just try to get a laptop with a numpad if possible.

Every person is entitled to their own opinion and it is not necessary to go
for the most expensive machine, just the most reliable which you know you
can afford. If an R4 500 machine does a wonderful job, it is not necessary
to buy something for 4 times more expensive because of the specs.

It may just be a good idea to run Classic Shall on Windows 10 so that it
behaves like Windows 7. However, I find that Windows 10 is the most
responsive thus far and it is quick when receiving commands.

Regards

Heaven Botma
Dosent
Lecturer

T: 023 348 7634
C: 079 512 2856
F: 023 342 3959
E: heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org
W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org
Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street
Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

For open book go to the freedom scientific webpage and downloaded the latest
update to open book 9 so that it will work with windows 10.

David Tanner

From my iPhone 6 S

wrote:

[...]

I would say that usually things that ran on 8 run on 10, don't use the Edge browser, use Firefox, Don't use the mail app, use tbird or the hack of outlook express or if you are getting office try to get 2013 not 2016 and try Outlook for mail.

Narrator is better on 10, and can to some extent make Edge useable, but to me at least it seems sluggish though it does have better navigation than anything else I've tried, it certainly does not perform as well as nvda with programs not made by Microsoft.

This is the anniversary edition I have been playing with. I actually like the alphabet organised start menu option over the mess before and the ability to do voice searches can be interesting though not of much real use other than the wow factor at first.

What else? Well most of it is just window dressing and to me the security settings even at minimum get in the way all too often for my taste. Somebody needs to hack it ..:-)
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

One think I have noticed with Windows 10 is that 8 gigs of memory really does make it less sluggish. also a solid state disc for the operating system also makes it boot faster and do operations like search more quickly.
These things have always been so on other windows versions though. I have not had it long enough to know if it suffers from the slowdown with time issue on previous versions though keeping up optimisation of the drives on those seems to head this off at the pass so to speak.

dragonwalker64@gmail.com