Intermittent lack of feedback in Windows Explorer

Felix G.

Hello,
I'd like to ask around if anyone else has noticed this disturbing trend:
When pressing enter on a folder in Windows Explorer, NVDA usually announces "element view list" followed by the name of the first element in that folder. Often, however, NVDA remains silent. Requesting developer info for the navigator object then yields something like the log excerpt I am posting below.
Any ideas how I could make this behave? Being a child of the age of DOS, when there is silence I usually wait because I assume my command takes longer to complete. I know I'm pedantic, but then this is software and not, say, astrology.
Here is that log excerpt now:
name: ''
role: ROLE_LISTITEM
states: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
isFocusable: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
hasFocus: False
Python object: <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA object at 0x05B786D0>
location: None
value: ''
appModule: <'explorer' (appName u'explorer', process ID 1492) at address 5a151f0>
appModule.productName: u'Betriebssystem Microsoft\xae Windows\xae'
appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
windowHandle: 264856
windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
windowControlID: 0
windowStyle: 0
windowThreadID: 0
windowText: u''
displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
UIA patterns available:
All the best,
Felix

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

When cursoring up and down, does the selcted item get said after a delay, and if so and you hear that, can you then select the file?

I had this with explorer both on windows 7 and 10, and it was the processor in the computer actually not running at full speed. It seems on many laptops the processor is slow to catch up with demand and hence the actual selection is behind the one you think it is on, or worse, on nothing at all!
I'm sure somebody else will respond but I had to go digging into advanced power management and crank up the idle speed to at least 50 percent, it was set at 10 percent, before acceptable results occurred.
Of course it could be something else, but this was the reason I found for most of it. I would have thought that as nvda is hogging one core and hence stopping the machine using it, Windows ought to sense it and up the speed of the cores. It seems that this only happens sometimes when more than one core is maxed out. I guess this might be because nvda is a 32 bit app, not a 64 bit one with the ability to push threads though different processor cores. I'd welcome some more knowledgeable people to comment.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]
Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA'>, <class
'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIItem'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.ListItem'>, <class
'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIA'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class
'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'documentBase.TextContainerObject'>,
<class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class
'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
[...]

no, the issue cannot be described in terms of delays. When feedback fails to occur, it will then simply not occur no matter how long I would wait. It is genuinely different behavior rather than just slowed down normal behavior.
Best,
Felix

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> I'd like to ask around if anyone else has noticed this disturbing trend:
> When pressing enter on a folder in Windows Explorer, NVDA usually
> announces
> "element view list" followed by the name of the first element in that
> folder. Often, however, NVDA remains silent. Requesting developer info for
> the navigator object then yields something like the log excerpt I am
> posting below.
> Any ideas how I could make this behave? Being a child of the age of DOS,
> when there is silence I usually wait because I assume my command takes
> longer to complete. I know I'm pedantic, but then this is software and
> not,
> say, astrology.
> Here is that log excerpt now:
> name: ''
> role: ROLE_LISTITEM
> states: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen Abonnenten
> aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> isFocusable: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> hasFocus: False
> Python object: <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA object at
> 0x05B786D0>
> Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIItem'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.ListItem'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIA'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'documentBase.TextContainerObject'>,
> <class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class
> 'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
> location: None
> value: ''
> appModule: <'explorer' (appName u'explorer', process ID 1492) at address
> 5a151f0>
> appModule.productName: u'Betriebssystem Microsoft\xae Windows\xae'
> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA patterns available:
> All the best,
> Felix

Hi,

And does restarting NVDA resolve the problem for a while? If it does and if the problem happens again, then I think I know what might be going on. Also, which Windows version are you using?

Cheers,

Joseph

> I'd like to ask around if anyone else has noticed this disturbing trend:
> When pressing enter on a folder in Windows Explorer, NVDA usually
> announces
> "element view list" followed by the name of the first element in that
> folder. Often, however, NVDA remains silent. Requesting developer info for
> the navigator object then yields something like the log excerpt I am
> posting below.
> Any ideas how I could make this behave? Being a child of the age of DOS,
> when there is silence I usually wait because I assume my command takes
> longer to complete. I know I'm pedantic, but then this is software and
> not,
> say, astrology.
> Here is that log excerpt now:
> name: ''
> role: ROLE_LISTITEM
> states: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen Abonnenten
> aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> isFocusable: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> hasFocus: False
> Python object: <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA object at
> 0x05B786D0>
> Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIItem'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.ListItem'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIA'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'documentBase.TextContainerObject'>,
> <class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class
> 'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
> location: None
> value: ''
> appModule: <'explorer' (appName u'explorer', process ID 1492) at address
> 5a151f0>
> appModule.productName: u'Betriebssystem Microsoft\xae Windows\xae'
> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA patterns available:
> All the best,
> Felix

Felix G.

Hi Joseph,
happens on Win 7 and 10. I could detect no correlation with restarting NVDA.
Best,
Felix

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> schrieb am Do., 2. Aug. 2018 um 11:28 Uhr:

> [...]

> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

Nvda can be silent when opening some programs and refreshing them if I doodle about a bit it happens but still I have noticed it to.

On 8/2/2018 7:46 PM, Felix G. wrote:
[...]

For Windows 10, this is build 17134, correct? If what I’m thinking is happening, then there might be some hope (later).

Cheers,

Joseph

> I'd like to ask around if anyone else has noticed this disturbing trend:
> When pressing enter on a folder in Windows Explorer, NVDA usually
> announces
> "element view list" followed by the name of the first element in that
> folder. Often, however, NVDA remains silent. Requesting developer info for
> the navigator object then yields something like the log excerpt I am
> posting below.
> Any ideas how I could make this behave? Being a child of the age of DOS,
> when there is silence I usually wait because I assume my command takes
> longer to complete. I know I'm pedantic, but then this is software and
> not,
> say, astrology.
> Here is that log excerpt now:
> name: ''
> role: ROLE_LISTITEM
> states: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen Abonnenten
> aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> isFocusable: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> hasFocus: False
> Python object: <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA object at
> 0x05B786D0>
> Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIItem'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.ListItem'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIA'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'documentBase.TextContainerObject'>,
> <class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class
> 'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
> location: None
> value: ''
> appModule: <'explorer' (appName u'explorer', process ID 1492) at address
> 5a151f0>
> appModule.productName: u'Betriebssystem Microsoft\xae Windows\xae'
> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA patterns available:
> All the best,
> Felix

Felix G.

It's build 1803, no insider build.
Best,
Felix

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> schrieb am Do., 2. Aug. 2018 um 11:34 Uhr:

> [...]

> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

Hi,

Yes, I thought so. I’m hoping that there would be a resolution from both NV Access and Microsoft (a little hint: some of you are already testing a potential fix).

Cheers,

Joseph

> [...]

> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hi Felix,

I can’t see that with Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.165).

Cheers,

  Ralf

> I'd like to ask around if anyone else has noticed this disturbing trend:
> When pressing enter on a folder in Windows Explorer, NVDA usually
> announces
> "element view list" followed by the name of the first element in that
> folder. Often, however, NVDA remains silent. Requesting developer info for
> the navigator object then yields something like the log excerpt I am
> posting below.
> Any ideas how I could make this behave? Being a child of the age of DOS,
> when there is silence I usually wait because I assume my command takes
> longer to complete. I know I'm pedantic, but then this is software and
> not,
> say, astrology.
> Here is that log excerpt now:
> name: ''
> role: ROLE_LISTITEM
> states: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen Abonnenten
> aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> isFocusable: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> hasFocus: False
> Python object: <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA object at
> 0x05B786D0>
> Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIItem'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.ListItem'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIA'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class
> 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'documentBase.TextContainerObject'>,
> <class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class
> 'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
> location: None
> value: ''
> appModule: <'explorer' (appName u'explorer', process ID 1492) at address
> 5a151f0>
> appModule.productName: u'Betriebssystem Microsoft\xae Windows\xae'
> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA patterns available:
> All the best,
> Felix

Ralf Kefferpuetz

That’s maybe I don’t’see that at all…if you speak about alpha versions…

> [...]

> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

Felix G.

Hi!
With a lot of entering and backspacing back out of folders I was able to make it happen once on current alpha. But it's much, much better. Just tested on Win 7.
@Joseph does this match your theory?
Best,
Felix

Ralf Kefferpuetz <ralf.kefferpuetz@...> schrieb am Do., 2. Aug. 2018 um 12:43 Uhr:

> [...]

> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

Hi,

It is too early to tell at the moment, so we need to test more.

Cheers,

Joseph

> [...]

> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hmm, what is the difference then between our systems? Maybe we have different views in explorer.

Regards,

  Ralf

> [...]

> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

Yes but this is windows 7 too.
I am as you will see also having windows lock ups on two 7 machines and the only thing in common seems to be something to do with usb, but the add ons have been here for ages so its either nvda or a driver they updated about a few weeks ago, Intell I think.

briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> , putting 'Brian Gaff'
I'd like to ask around if anyone else has noticed this disturbing trend:
When pressing enter on a folder in Windows Explorer, NVDA usually
announces
"element view list" followed by the name of the first element in that
folder. Often, however, NVDA remains silent. Requesting developer info for
the navigator object then yields something like the log excerpt I am
posting below.
Any ideas how I could make this behave? Being a child of the age of DOS,
when there is silence I usually wait because I assume my command takes
longer to complete. I know I'm pedantic, but then this is software and
not,
say, astrology.
Here is that log excerpt now:
name: ''
role: ROLE_LISTITEM
states: exception: (-2147220991 <tel:(214)%20722-0991> , 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen Abonnenten
aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
isFocusable: exception: (-2147220991 <tel:(214)%20722-0991> , 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
[...]
UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991 <tel:(214)%20722-0991> , 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991 <tel:(214)%20722-0991> , 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
UIA patterns available:
All the best,
Felix

Tyler Wood

I've been having this happen for the past few windows 10 and NVDA builds.

It seems to really occur when copying, moving, or deleting files. Sometimes tabbing through the explorer window helps, sometimes a restart of NVDA is required. And when this happens it almost always breaks alt tabbing.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
[...]

in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Felix G." <constantlyvariable@gmail.com <mailto:constantlyvariable@gmail.com> >
[...]

So the question is then, should we all be using the alpha build to see if that helps. At present i have the old master on the working installed copy of nvda, the one that will, I assume, end up as beta, and Alpha the old masterafter updates, on the portable version. i really do not notice much of a difference, to be honest.
[...]

Annette Moore

I've had trouble with Explorer for a while now. If I get really frustrated, though, I just restart NVDA and that usually takes care of it. Reading through list view items, especially if I have more than one window open, is sometimes difficult. It's almost like Explorer has to catch up with me when I've entered on a list view. It won't read anything for a while, but if I sit here and wait long enough, it'll start reading my list of items. Dropbox is the worst for this behavior, and it's usually after I copied and pasted an item somewhere. that's usually when I restart NVDA. Sometimes I'll  just close all of my Explorer windows and reopen them, and that also takes care of it. It's the strangest thing, but I remember someone else on this list complaining about the same thing fairly recently. I don't recall, though, if he ever fixed it. It also doesn't happen all the time, just mostly when I happen to have two or three other windows open. So I've tried now to have only one or two things open at a time.

Annette

On 8/2/2018 4:34 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

> [...]

> appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
> TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
> windowHandle: 264856
> windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
> windowControlID: 0
> windowStyle: 0
> windowThreadID: 0
> windowText: u''
> displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
> UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x42cc2e8 at 5c5be40>
> UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
> UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
> UIA runtimeID: (1492, 217953568, 0)
> UIA providerDescription: [pid:1492,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified
> Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
> UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
> Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

Hmmm I have win7 as for my display, it does frequently lock up butt thats because I am using a beta driver of my amd card, the last release in fact before they upgraded, my card is no longer made anymore and thats one reason I may either replace the system soon or just role back to 2015 drivers, however, some newer games needed newer drivers.

sometimes things do go weird but just as well I am blind.