dot mini low cost braille display and NVDA

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

Hi,

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jonathan COHN

But I often write words that are longer than that. Can such a small RBD really be useful?

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>
Date: Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 1:47 PM
To: "nvda@groups.io" <nvda@groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] dot mini low cost braille display and NVDA

Hi,

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Walker, Michael E

You could write four-letter words, to be more concise for the smaller Braille display. ;-) Just kidding.

But I often write words that are longer than that. Can such a small RBD really be useful?

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>
Date: Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 1:47 PM
To: "nvda@groups.io" <nvda@groups.io>

Hi,

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

any ideas on a price

--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

So why stop at 16? Seems an odd choice to me.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> on behalf of Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com<mailto:joshknnd1982@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 1:47 PM
To: "nvda@groups.io<mailto:nvda@groups.io>" <nvda@groups.io<mailto:nvda@groups.io>>

Hi,
When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Steve Nutt

Well the Dot Watch is pretty awful, so I won’t worry about that display.

All the best

Steve

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Steve Nutt

Yes, I use an Esys 12 to good effect when travelling.

All the best

Steve

But I often write words that are longer than that. Can such a small RBD really be useful?

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>
Date: Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 1:47 PM
To: "nvda@groups.io" <nvda@groups.io>

Hi,

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Hi Steve,

OT as it may be, what do you not like about the dotwatch?  I'm looking at it right now.  On paper it seems really nice, and it competes pretty well on price with the apple watch and most other smart watches out there as far as I can tell.  four cells is a bit small, but how many more cells can fit on a wrist anyway?

Interested to hear your thoughts as I've been really excited about it and seriously considering buying it.

Best,

Erik

On August 2, 2018 3:18:50 PM "Steve Nutt" <steve@...> wrote:

Well the Dot Watch is pretty awful, so I won’t worry about that display.

All the best

Steve

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Andy

For one thing, you have to be careful not to touch the dots when they are refreshing, or you get nonsense. it's wierd, but true. You have to be careful when touching something that is meant to be touched.

Andy

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I don’t like the inconsistency of the four cells.  Every time you look at the time or a notification with it, in the unit I saw, the cells were inconsistent in the up or down position.  Some were up more than others, so you got inconsistently nasty Braille.

That’s just my view though.

All the best

Steve

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Steve Nutt

That too, yes.  If you touched it while it was refreshing, the dots wouldn’t come up properly.

All the best

Steve

For one thing, you have to be careful not to touch the dots when they are refreshing, or you get nonsense. it's wierd, but true. You have to be careful when touching something that is meant to be touched.

Andy

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gary Greico <pianotuner3@...>

Do you know how much the dot mini cost?

On 02-Aug-18 1:44 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

Hi,

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

the dot mini will cost $490

Antony Stone

It is not yet released and there is no pricing information on the developers'
website.

Antony.

On Friday 03 August 2018 at 16:12:47, Gary Greico wrote:

Do you know how much the dot mini cost?

On 02-Aug-18 1:44 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
Hi,

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot
mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with
its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/
--
I thought I had type A blood, but it turned out to be a typo.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Where did you come up with that number?  I'm not sayin you're wrong, but I haven't been able to get any info and I work in an AT shop with direct access to the company.  It's too early for our market.

Best,

Erik

On August 3, 2018 11:00:50 AM "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

the dot mini will cost $490

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes I'm no reader of Braille but it is very strange, kind of like a wobbly worm.
 Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Well the Dot Watch is pretty awful, so I won’t worry about that display.

All the best

Steve

When the dot mini is released, will it also work with NVDA? The dot mini is being developed by the same people who make the dot watch with its 4-cell braille display, but the dot mini will have a 16-cell display.

https://dotincorp.com/product/dot-mini/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gary Greico <pianotuner3@...>

Thank you.

On 03-Aug-18 10:59 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
the dot mini will cost $490