Strange Behavior with NVDA and groups.io Website

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>

I don’t know if this is an issue with NVDA or the groups.io site, but I thought I would bring it up for what it’s worth. I subscribe to this and two other lists on this platform in daily summary mode to cut down on the number of messages that land in my in box. This means that the only way I can reply to a message is through the website. Today, I discovered that the Reply button is missing. I was in Firefox at the time. I switched to Chrome and then Internet Explorer before finally finding the reply button. How weird is that?

Abbie,

      I can't explain your issue with the Reply button, but I am wondering if you've considered one of the Daily Digest formats as opposed to the Daily Summary format.  Digests come out either when 12 messages have rolled in to the group or in the morning like the Daily Summary if less than 12 messages have come in during the prior day.  The digest format includes a "Reply to Group" mailto link that will fire up your e-mail client with the subject correctly formatted for a reply to the topic of the message you've clicked that link for.  You need not use the web interface.

      Not that I don't love hearing about someone using the web interface, but it is possible to avoid it if that's what you'd prefer.  You can also really limit the topics you allow in to your inbox by using advanced subscription preferences using the "Following only" option coupled with the "First message" option coupled with the "Auto follow replies" option.  That way you see only the first message in any topic and will never see another for that topic unless you either intentionally follow it or reply to it, in which case it will be followed as a result.  See:    Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Jackie

Abbie, I'm replying from the website using the latest version of firefox. Reply is actually a link. Have you tried NVDA+f7 to see if you can find it that way? & what version of FF are you using? To send the msg, you can tab to & press either private or discard or reply to group, which are actually buttons.

Jonathan COHN

Dear Abby,

Perhaps the issue is that you are not logged into Groups.io on Firefox and Chrome.  Immediately after the “Help” button or link there is a widget that will have your name if you are logged in or else a link to the login screen.

HTH,

Jonathan

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>
Date: Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 6:40 PM
To: NVDA <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Strange Behavior with NVDA and groups.io Website

I don’t know if this is an issue with NVDA or the groups.io site, but I thought I would bring it up for what it’s worth. I subscribe to this and two other lists on this platform in daily summary mode to cut down on the number of messages that land in my in box. This means that the only way I can reply to a message is through the website. Today, I discovered that the Reply button is missing. I was in Firefox at the time. I switched to Chrome and then Internet Explorer before finally finding the reply button. How weird is that?

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>

Okay, will give that a try. Thanks.

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>

I'm using the latest version of Firefox, and I know I'm logged in because it shows my name at the top of the page. I'm going to try switching to daily digest mode, as Brian suggests, and see what happens. Thanks, everybody.

Abbie,

         Please keep us posted as to how things are working (or not working, but I hope it's not the latter).

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>

I changed the email subscription preferences in another group to full-featured digest yesterday, and today, that seemed to work better since I could use my email program instead of the website to reply. I just changed the preferences in this group today, and I think that will solve the problem. By the way, the reply button is back in Firefox. Will wonders never cease?
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com