Offline due to computer failure

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I do not know if its the hot weather here, or what but my main pc has
stopped booting, so depending on what a sighted person can deduce, I might
be out of circulation for a short or longer time. Obviously, since it has
an ssd and if that has gone, although I have backups, the configuration of
lots of software is a major task to undertake.
If in the end it is decided to reformat I cannot use the backups either so
that is going to take even longer to rebuild the files.

Basically, this morning I was told an update to an add on was available and I allowed it to proceed, but when the nvda rebooted the computer totally locked up.
On starting with the button, it continuously prompts for boot media, but does not provide a way to enter it. On chatting to the firm that built it they suggest the bios might be corrupt and I should keep hitting delete and then set the proper option. which really is not an option without sighted help.
If this is what it is, it could be the battery, I suppose or it might be corrupt windows, I have a rescue disc and backups from Sunday last, but if its a total mess than I have a major job of rebuilding a very complex lot of software. I'll see you all in the spring!

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Bria

It can usually be any thing with a computer usually it is the battery in
the computer that has gone flat and is usually a cr 2032 battery. The
old one if that would need to be removed and the new one put in and then
the sighted person to go into the cmos and set the time etc

You really need to see what the message is. the other thing that usually
might cause it some times it is pretty cold in the room. I have only had
one hard drive die on me on a computer in 30 years and they are used
every day.

Gene nz

On 8/4/2018 3:33 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Antony Stone

You're not seriously telling us you are still using 30 year old hard drives?

Antony.

--
"Remember: the S in IoT stands for Security."

- Jan-Piet Mens

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

I had this happen in the hot weather, got a new psu, got the system cleaned out it simply wouldn't boot.

If it is the same as my old i3 workstation then once it gets cold it will work again I assume anyway it is because it now is.

[...]

Of an interesting note if you have a newer 4th gen intel or up they don't seem to have this issue but first gen i3s probably do my i5 3rd gen does boot but its under preasure, if the system needs a user profile repair, a good reformat or a really big crash its usually in the summer months.

[...]

Yes well, Its my first ssd, and I'm suspicious of the new. The machine was only built in 2015, so a battery? Must be a pretty duff battery I have some old xp machines with batteries 10 years old. Cold, no it wasover 30 degrees c here yesterday.
My feeling is a corrupt disc rather than a dead one but we shall see. I'm on this old XP machine with an older copy of nvda Been going since 2007.
[...]

Who said that? However there are some drives I have that still are readable albeit slowly at past that age, including 1 2.7 gig one.
[...]

I do not see it as psu, as it powers stuff up and all of that.
[...]

Yes but this thing has fans in abundance but they only kick in if really hot.