Add-on Updater 18.08.4 patch to correct a regression from 18.08.3

Hi all,

First, I’d like to thank folks who have reported a bug where NVDA kept playing progress beep when trying to check for add-on updates. The root cause has been identified and a fix is now available in 18.08.4. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the problem, this one must be applied manually:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/files/get.php?file=nvda3208

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Joseph

This one is to do with the screen curtain.

I have noticed when nvda boots up the screen curtain is on. I have been told by my sighted partner.

this is when you turn on the computer for the first time and not stand by.

so to make her happy i went to tools then screen curtain and pressed the enter key on it so it would turn it off.

I then saved the configuration so it would not come up.

Computer gets turned off have a cup of coffee then boot back up the computer from off.

When it boots back up the screen curtain goes back on so then if the wife wants to use it i  will turn it off.

She says she can not see the screen to do it lol rof. I use it all the time that way i tell her.

I think may be the default should be off until you turn it on.

I am guessing if the sighted partner wanted to use the pc and did not know they would be stumped. On my computer when ever one of my computers boots up nvda comes on and so would the screen curtain until things are ironed out.

Will a short cut be created so it can be turned on and off quickly with out going through the menus?

By the way where i hear the beeps could down the track maybe have it say screen curtain on or off?

I do not know what others think but but would be easier than the beep. I think it is high beep for on and low for off?

fI am going to get her to see when i go into other screens etc if it stays on permanently until it is turned off I am guessing it will.

Gene nz

On 8/4/2018 2:06 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

First, I’d like to thank folks who have reported a bug where NVDA kept playing progress beep when trying to check for add-on updates. The root cause has been identified and a fix is now available in 18.08.4. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the problem, this one must be applied manually:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/files/get.php?file=nvda3208

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

An unassigned gesture is available to toggle screen curtain on or off.

As for default state: starting from the next release, it’ll be off by default.

[...]

I just located it under the gestures part under tools. I did not even think to check there was looking for it under the settings menu for some reason. I will have to make sure i check there as some times in the add on etc.

Thanks Gene nz

On 8/4/2018 4:20 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!

I have just installed Add-On Updater 18.08.4, after downloading its installer using the link in the email below, but, strangely, “check for add-on updates” no longer appears in the NVDA Tools menu. I have also had no notification of any updates to add-ons today, including Add-On Updater: it’s thanks to reading emails from this NVDA list that I knew about the updates to this add-on.

While using a previous version of Add-On Updater, I chose to have it notify me of add-on updates, so would that make the “check for add-on updates” option disappear from the Tools menu?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Bye for now!

From Clare

First, I’d like to thank folks who have reported a bug where NVDA kept playing progress beep when trying to check for add-on updates. The root cause has been identified and a fix is now available in 18.08.4. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the problem, this one must be applied manually:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/files/get.php?file=nvda3208

Cheers,

Joseph

Jonathan Milam

Would it be possible to create an option as to whether or not it is on or off by default?  I myself would prefer that it be on by default, but can certainly understand Gene's situation as well.  Best of both world's perhaps?

Thanks,
Jonathan

On Aug 4, 2018, at 12:20 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

That is planned for a future release.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Kevin Cussick

You can assign a gesture under input gestures I have done this and I think the beep is good enough.

On 04/08/2018 05:17, Gene New Zealand wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Is they save the settings set to off how come its back on at a reboot? sounds like its not being saved correctly to me.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-