installing nvda on new laptop

Don H

trying to install NVDA on a new laptop I purchased for my wife. After installing it and going into the speech settings I only have the one core voices to choose from. Why aren't any other options showing up? After the line that shows the one core voice there is a change button but if I press that the NVDA UI closes and I am back to the desktop.
Running latest version of Win 10 on this HP Envy 13z laptop. It is running AMD processor and graphics if that makes any difference.
Thanks

What synthesizer are you using?  This has a direct impact on what voices will or will not be presented.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Rui Fontes

Hello!

If pressing SpaceBar or Enter on the Change button closes the dialog, try pressing NVDA+Control+S...

That command should open the Change synth dialog...

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 17:22 de 04/08/2018, Don H escreveu:

trying to install NVDA on a new laptop I purchased for my wife.  After installing it and going into the speech settings I only have the one core voices to choose from.  Why aren't any other options showing up? After the line that shows the one core voice there is a change button but if I press that the NVDA UI closes and I am back to the desktop.
Running latest version of Win 10 on this HP Envy 13z laptop.  It is running AMD processor and graphics if that makes any difference.
Thanks

Don H

Thanks using insert control s resolved the issue and gave me all the available choices.

On 8/4/2018 12:32 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Hello!
If pressing SpaceBar or Enter on the Change button closes the dialog, try pressing NVDA+Control+S...
That command should open the Change synth dialog...
Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team
Às 17:22 de 04/08/2018, Don H escreveu:
trying to install NVDA on a new laptop I purchased for my wife.  After installing it and going into the speech settings I only have the one core voices to choose from.  Why aren't any other options showing up? After the line that shows the one core voice there is a change button but if I press that the NVDA UI closes and I am back to the desktop.
Running latest version of Win 10 on this HP Envy 13z laptop.  It is running AMD processor and graphics if that makes any difference.
Thanks

Felix G.

Hi!
Interesting. Why should pressing space or enter on the "Change ..." button close the dialog?
Best,
Felix

Don H <lmddh50@...> schrieb am So., 5. Aug. 2018 um 03:09 Uhr:

Thanks using insert control s resolved the issue and gave me all the
available choices.

On 8/4/2018 12:32 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
> Hello!
>
> If pressing SpaceBar or Enter on the Change button closes the dialog,
> try pressing NVDA+Control+S...
>
> That command should open the Change synth dialog...
>
> Rui Fontes
> NVDA portuguese team
>

> Às 17:22 de 04/08/2018, Don H escreveu:
>> trying to install NVDA on a new laptop I purchased for my wife.  After
>> installing it and going into the speech settings I only have the one
>> core voices to choose from.  Why aren't any other options showing up?
>> After the line that shows the one core voice there is a change button
>> but if I press that the NVDA UI closes and I am back to the desktop.
>> Running latest version of Win 10 on this HP Envy 13z laptop.  It is
>> running AMD processor and graphics if that makes any difference.
>> Thanks

Gene

Because it does the same thing as an ok button.  If there are no changes, what does an ok button do?  It closes the dialog and, it uses and saves changes you have made, or it may use and not save them if the program is designed to require you to permanently save the settings separately.  In this case, since you have made no changes, it changes nothing.  Ok means things are ok either as they are or as you have changed them.

gene

Interesting. Why should pressing space or enter on the "Change ..." button close the dialog?
Best,
Felix

Don H <lmddh50@...> schrieb am So., 5. Aug. 2018 um 03:09 Uhr:
Thanks using insert control s resolved the issue and gave me all the
available choices.

On 8/4/2018 12:32 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
> Hello!
>
> If pressing SpaceBar or Enter on the Change button closes the dialog,
> try pressing NVDA+Control+S...
>
> That command should open the Change synth dialog...
>
> Rui Fontes
> NVDA portuguese team
>

> Às 17:22 de 04/08/2018, Don H escreveu:
>> trying to install NVDA on a new laptop I purchased for my wife.  After
>> installing it and going into the speech settings I only have the one
>> core voices to choose from.  Why aren't any other options showing up?
>> After the line that shows the one core voice there is a change button
>> but if I press that the NVDA UI closes and I am back to the desktop.
>> Running latest version of Win 10 on this HP Envy 13z laptop.  It is
>> running AMD processor and graphics if that makes any difference.
>> Thanks

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

From what I deduce this is a new windows 10 machine so one core is default, but surely the change button should then make it possible to select Espeak as well?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

What synthesizer are you using? This has a direct impact on what voices will or will not be presented.

~ Richard Dehmel

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes but that should have happened on that button as well surely?
Weird...
[...]

I don't see how it does the same as an OK button. It has a completely different purpose. If the dialog closes then, this should be filed as an issue.
Best,
Felix

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> Thanks using insert control s resolved the issue and gave me all the
> available choices.
>
> On 8/4/2018 12:32 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> If pressing SpaceBar or Enter on the Change button closes the dialog, try
>> pressing NVDA+Control+S...
>>
>> That command should open the Change synth dialog...
>>
>> Rui Fontes
>> NVDA portuguese team
>>

>> Às 17:22 de 04/08/2018, Don H escreveu:
>>> trying to install NVDA on a new laptop I purchased for my wife. After
>>> installing it and going into the speech settings I only have the one
>>> core voices to choose from. Why aren't any other options showing up?
>>> After the line that shows the one core voice there is a change button
>>> but if I press that the NVDA UI closes and I am back to the desktop.
>>> Running latest version of Win 10 on this HP Envy 13z laptop. It is
>>> running AMD processor and graphics if that makes any difference.
>>> Thanks

Gene

I'm not sure why the change button closed the dialog.  I don't use newer versions of NVDA because I don't have a computer that runs a compatible version of Windows.  I have a Windows 7 computer but I never upgraded to service pack one because a program I use on occasion doesn't run.  I almost never use the computer online so there is no reason to make the change from a security standpoint.

I had thought the change button would be activated after you made changes after being in the dialog.  Evidently not, from what I read in the manual.  sorry for the confusion.

Because it does the same thing as an ok button.  If there are no changes, what does an ok button do?  It closes the dialog and, it uses and saves changes you have made, or it may use and not save them if the program is designed to require you to permanently save the settings separately.  In this case, since you have made no changes, it changes nothing.  Ok means things are ok either as they are or as you have changed them.

gene
Interesting. Why should pressing space or enter on the "Change ..." button close the dialog?
Best,
Felix

Don H <lmddh50@...> schrieb am So., 5. Aug. 2018 um 03:09 Uhr:
Thanks using insert control s resolved the issue and gave me all the
available choices.

On 8/4/2018 12:32 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
> Hello!
>
> If pressing SpaceBar or Enter on the Change button closes the dialog,
> try pressing NVDA+Control+S...
>
> That command should open the Change synth dialog...
>
> Rui Fontes
> NVDA portuguese team
>

> Às 17:22 de 04/08/2018, Don H escreveu:
>> trying to install NVDA on a new laptop I purchased for my wife.  After
>> installing it and going into the speech settings I only have the one
>> core voices to choose from.  Why aren't any other options showing up?
>> After the line that shows the one core voice there is a change button
>> but if I press that the NVDA UI closes and I am back to the desktop.
>> Running latest version of Win 10 on this HP Envy 13z laptop.  It is
>> running AMD processor and graphics if that makes any difference.
>> Thanks

Gene

Another thoughyt on the behavior.  did you use enter or the space bar on the button?  I am not familiar with the new interface but using enter may activate a different button, depending on how the interface is designed, even if you are on the change button.

This has to do with the concept of the default button, something which would require too much explanation to be praqctical to go into here.  If you pressed enter, try pressing the space bar and see what happens.

I'm not assuming what you know or do.  I am saying that, in general, people aren't taught the concept of the default button and that causes unnecessary problems and makes use less efficient at times.