Topics

Add-on Updater: 18.08.5 as last stable version for now, few important announcements

Hi all,

First, thank you all for your valuable feedback regarding Add-on Updater. At the moment I’m making changes to the corresponding pull request (NVDA issue 3208) based on your feedback and the add-on code.

Also, version 18.08.5 will hit the air in about half an hour from now. This one fixes a bug where Add-on Updater settings panel didn’t show up properly if there are add-ons with badly formatted manifest data. I also took this time to exclude Nuance Vocalizer family of add-ons from participating in add-on update checks.

Few more important announcements:

  • Removing “stable” tag: I’m removing stable tag from this add-on once 18.08.5 is released. This is to follow precedence set by Screen Curtain where proof of concept/prototype add-ons will remain under development.
  • Compatibility with really old add-ons: prior to widespread use of Add-on Template, add-on authors would package add-ons by hand. This means add-on manifest data would be formatted in such a way that caused Python to treat them as things other than text. Although Add-on Updater will notice these and take appropriate action, compatibility with these old add-ons is not guaranteed. The solution is for add-on authors to put quotes around manifest data, specifically for summary and description fields. I’ll edit relevant sections in NVDA’s developer guide to reflect this discovery.
  • Feedback channel: in addition to emails and social media replies (Twitter and what not), the best place to send feedback regarding add-on update feature is GitHub via https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/3208.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

OK these add ons are present on the installed copy of beta 2 branch which fails when add on updater is added to the list.
Application Dictionary; Status: enabled; Version: 1.2-dev; Author: Ricardo Leonarczyk <ricardo.leonarczyk95@gmail.com>
DECTalk Synthesizer; Status: enabled; Version: 1.2; Author: NVDA User
Announce Dropbox state and make preferences tabs accessible; Status: enabled; Version: 4.3; Author: Patrick ZAJDA <patrick@zajda.fr>, Filaos and other contributors
An extended appModule for Winamp music player; Status: enabled; Version: 1.1; Author: Hrvoje Katic <hrvojekatic@gmail.com>, NVDA-addon-team
this addon is to put text on the clip bord and paste text from clip bord; Status: enabled; Author: Jennifer Wenson <jwens82@gmail.com
Focus Highlight; Status: enabled; Version: 5.2; Author: Takuya Nishimoto <nishimotz@gmail.com>
Golden Cursor; Status: enabled; Version: 3.1; Author: Salah Atair <atair1978@gmail.com>, Wafeeq Taher, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>, Abdel <abdelkrim.bensaid@gmail.com>
GoldWave; Status: enabled; Version: 18.07; Author: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>, David Parduhn <xkill85@gmx.net>, Mesar Hameed <mhameed@src.gnome.org>
mp3DirectCut; Status: enabled; Version: 4.1; Author: Abdel, Rèmy Ruiz, Abdellah Zineddine, Jean-François Colas
Open Link With; Status: enabled; Version: 1.0; Author: Ibrahim Hamadeh <ibra.hamadeh@hotmail.com>, Belala Toufik<belaalatoufik@gmail.com>
Svox pico synthesizer; Status: enabled; Version: 1.0; Author: Aleksey Sadovoy <lex@progger.ru> and Michael Curran <mick@kulgan.net>
Remote Support; Status: disabled; Version: 2.1; Author: Tyler Spivey <tspivey@pcdesk.net>, Christopher Toth <q@q-continuum.net>
Resource Monitor; Status: enabled; Version: 18.07; Author: Alex Hall <mehgcap@gmail.com>, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>, beqa gozalishvili <beqaprogger@gmail.com>, Tuukka Ojala <tuukka.ojala@gmail.com> and other NVDA contributors
SpeechPlayer in Espeak; Status: enabled; Version: 0.4.1; Author: NV Access Limitied <admin@nvaccess.org>

I suspect at leas three of these are old. Can i manually update the manifest fiiles in the folder?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Rui Fontes

Yes, if you correct all manifest.ini files in your machine, the addon updater will work without problems...

Rui Fontes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
[...]

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!

I installed Add-On Updater 18.08.5 yesterday, and it shows up as enabled in my add-ons list, but I still have the strange problem I described before, where there is no sign of the add-on updater in either tools or preferences.

As I wr’ite this, I haven’t been warned of any add-on updates either, but that might be simply because none of mine are being updated at this moment. Some of my add-ons are old and have never been updated since I got them as far as I know, which might make a difference.

I probably shouldn’t worry if nothing happens, I just hope to see proof one day that the add-on updater is working, not just that it’s enabled in the Manage Add-ons dialogue.

Bye for now!

From Clare

[...]

Darren Harris

Getting the same thing here, using the latest version of NVD a Plus the updater. There is no check for updates option at all.

On 7 Aug 2018, at 09:33, Clare Page <clare.page@...> wrote:

Hi!

I installed Add-On Updater 18.08.5 yesterday, and it shows up as enabled in my add-ons list, but I still have the strange problem I described before, where there is no sign of the add-on updater in either tools or preferences.

As I wr’ite this, I haven’t been warned of any add-on updates either, but that might be simply because none of mine are being updated at this moment. Some of my add-ons are old and have never been updated since I got them as far as I know, which might make a difference.

I probably shouldn’t worry if nothing happens, I just hope to see proof one day that the add-on updater is working, not just that it’s enabled in the Manage Add-ons dialogue.

Bye for now!

From Clare

[...]

Roger Stewart

Can't duplicate this here.  Check for add on updates is the last in the list of Tools in the nvda menu.

Roger

On 8/7/2018 3:33 AM, Clare Page wrote:

Hi!

I installed Add-On Updater 18.08.5 yesterday, and it shows up as enabled in my add-ons list, but I still have the strange problem I described before, where there is no sign of the add-on updater in either tools or preferences.

As I wr’ite this, I haven’t been warned of any add-on updates either, but that might be simply because none of mine are being updated at this moment. Some of my add-ons are old and have never been updated since I got them as far as I know, which might make a difference.

I probably shouldn’t worry if nothing happens, I just hope to see proof one day that the add-on updater is working, not just that it’s enabled in the Manage Add-ons dialogue.

Bye for now!

From Clare