Microsoft Word 2016 stop working.

Daniele Casarola

Hi everybody,

I would like to ask to people who work with Microsoft Word like me if you have the same problem.

During my job, Microsoft Word stops working and until I don't close or restart NVDA it doesn't unlock.

It happens since a lot of months. I've hoped that through different NVDA updates, Microsoft Word updates and Microsoft Windows update it can be solved, but it continues, so I'd like to ask here.

I'd like to specify that the computer I work on is specifically set only for job.
So few application are installed, and everything is licensed.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 1803
Microsoft Word: Home and Students Version 1806 (build 10228.20104)
NVDA: version 2018.2.1
Synthetizer_ IVONA, italian Carla

I've made a lot of tests. Microsoft Office tries to understand via Remote Control, but no success.

When Microsoft Word stops working, also NVDA doesn't give me anymore audiofeedback.
There is a log file for NVDA I can share with you to understand better what's happening?

Thanks so much.

Daniele.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If you restart nvda does it work again, or has it got to be word or the whole machine that has to be rebooted. I think for us to help we would need you to set logging level to input output or debug.
Then run it till it happens. and see if you can get the old log the next time you boot nvda from the %temp% folder. assuming you are aloud to of course.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Quentin Christensen

If you alt+tab away to another program and back to Word does it work again?  Alternatively, if you restart NVDA does it work?

Another question - does it always happen, or only with particular documents?  EG does it happen more if you have a document with track changes on, lots of changes and comments, or does it happen if you open a blank document in word and start typing a paragraph of text?

NVDA does have a log, and if you send me a copy of it with a description of what is happening, I'd be happy to have a look.  You can find the log in your %temp% directory.  See this page for more information on the log: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/LogFilesAndCrashDumps  If you send me a log to info@... - ideally at log level debug, that would be most helpful.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 6:18 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
If you restart nvda does it work again, or has it got to be word or the whole machine that has to be rebooted. I think for us to help we would need you to set logging level to input output or debug.
Then  run it till it happens. and see if you can get the old log the next time you boot nvda from the %temp% folder. assuming you are aloud to of course.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniele Casarola" <casaroladaniele@...>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

One thing that may be an issue here is that as far as I can tell, (based on this and other experiences I and others I know have had with word), there appears to be a memory leak in word, and if you have the same document open for a long time (usually it takes days, but if you are low on memory, it can be only hours), word crashes, and it's necessary to restart word to get it working again. If your machine has low amounts of memory, this could be what's happening in this case. It's possible word is crashing, and NVDA is unable to read the screen. If it's a remote connection, (as you seem to indicate), of course, there could be other factors in play as well, so there's no way to know for sure it's word causing the problem, but using other programs besides word for the same amount of time it takes NVDA to break when using word would answer the question for you.

kelby carlson

I have had that issue occasionally as well. Usually it takes an NVDA restart, but sometimes Word itself needs to be restarted.

On Aug 7, 2018, at 8:45 AM, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@softcon.com> wrote:

[...]

Brian:
- The problem regards only NVDA and Microsoft Word. I don't need to reboot the machine, all other applications works correctly.
- If I restart NVDA sometimes Microsoft Word unlock and I can continue to work normally. Sometimes Microsoft Word crashes and automatically reopen the last saved file. I lose from 0 to 1 minute of job, because I've set auto save every 1 minute.

Quentin:
- If I alt+tab and back in Microsoft Word it doesn't fix.
- As said above, if I restart NVDA sometimes Microsoft Word works again, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time it doesn't.
- It happens with any document, both my company documents and new blank document. I want to specify that my Microsoft Word installation is a standard installation with no adon or particular setting. The problem appears also if Microsoft Word is launched in Safe Mode.
- I can't recognize a regular reason why it happens, it seems random to me. Sometime 3 times per day, sometime 10 times. If I type the same text I typed before crash, it doesn't crash again, so it doesn't depend of the specific text.

Travis Siege
- I work alternately on two machines which has the same applications installed and same setting. One is a laptop Asus Zenbook CPU i7 6700HQ and 16GB Ram. The other is a small workstation CPU i7 8700, 16GB Ram. On both the machine the same exact problem.
- The document I work with has no online connection, I mean that if I want I can work offline.
- When Microsoft Word is blocked, I've opened Windows Task Manager to check CPU, GPU and RAM usage, but the percentage is low for all the components.
- Usually I create diferent Microsoft Word document. I mean that I don't work on the same for hours and hours. I produce multiple documents, and each time I close and reopen Microsoft Word. I work on one istance of Microsoft Word at time. The crash happens also in documents that I've opened since few minutes.
- I've tried to work using Windows Notepad application for one day, just to test. I simply pasted the text typed from Notepad to Microsoft Word continuosly. No crash in this way. Of course the workflow is slower.

I've set log mode to debug.
I've attached the two files (nvda.log and nvda_old.log) from the %temp% folder.

This is the steps
1. Run nvda
2. Start to type in Word
3. Word stop working.
4. Wait a while but no audio feedback from NVDA and Word not working still.
5. Restart NVDA with CTRL+ALT+N
6. Microsoft Word automatically reopen last saved document
7. Copy paste nvda.log and nvda_old.log from %temp% to a new folder and attached to this post.

Link to the files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U_FyD1E5_B9taS-hqdgucpZra8LVjCki
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NdLFAM8I9lzcs4Gs5uprF8cg2rHro_Zz

thanks so much for the support.

Pranav Lal

Hi Daniele,

Try disabling hardware acceleration from the advanced tab of word's options.

Pranav

Daniele Casarola

Thank you Pranav for your reply.

It was a test tried together with Microsoft Office support, but both hardware acceleration active or not, the problem appears anyway.
This is the graphic card installed on the desktop pc:
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB aero Itx Ocv1

Pranav Lal

Hi Daniele,

You may have sent this before but do you have any logs from the crash?

Pranav

Daniele Casarola

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 06:38 PM, Pranav Lal wrote:
You may have sent this before but do you have any logs from the crash?
Yes,
in the previous post I've linked log files aftger the crash.

Do you mean another log file? In case tell me where can I take it.

Thanks.
Daniele.

Daniele Casarola

Any support for this issue?

At the same time I use also Microsoft Excel and also in this application something wrong sometime: voice stops reading when I move from cell to cell and application stop working until I don't close NVDA.

Other users have problems with Microsoft Office?

Thanks again.

Daniele.