Topics

thunderbird 60.0

Hi.

Well I must say after updating I chose to use the 64 bit addition of thunderbird from mozilla ftp as I thought why not.

What I found out is that while most to the dialogs are accessible parts of the addon search dialog and install dialogs are not, thats fine because I have no intention of installing addons.

The cpu usage is a bit up, also it will not honor your intergration settings, it kept asking me and I had to tell it to not ask me again.

Otherwise, generally things are accessible, and descriptions have improved.

I am only talking general setup of things.

I do wander though if there is a way to install addons to thunderbird without the installer web interface, as its the brouser in the addons site which has access issues, the site itself is fine in a brouser so if I download an addon say google search I want a way to load it.

Bar that most of it seems fine though its only for email that I have set up, no news, no rss nothing like that.

I havn't bothered with chatting either.

But at least thunderbird quantom is not the same as firefox quantom.

It does seem though that I can drop back to the older esr and it will be fine enough.

Narayan <krishnashree1221@...>

Is there Thunderbird 60 is available? if yes, where can we get it? please provide link or give instruction to get it. thank you.

--
Shree

mk360

You can download it on the official Thunderbird site, I don't have direct links now but search for Thunderbird on google and is the first result.

El 06/08/2018 a las 23:25, Narayan escribió:
[...]

mcLeod stinnett

--
from mack it's also over at http://www.ninite.com

Well the easiest way to get it will be at

https://www.thunderbird.net/

for the more adventurous of you all

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/

In there select a release, thats 60, just 60.0 no beta, etc.

Select your language, en-us is what I use but en-gb is the global english or any other language.

then win32 is the standard thunderbird, or win 64 or win x64 is the 64 bit directory.

Download that file they are all called the same.

uninstall from add remove programs your old version of thunderbird and then install the new one.

On 8/7/2018 3:25 PM, Narayan wrote:
[...]

Hi all.

A note to those on 52.9.1

thunderbird 60.0 is tunderbird for quantom, its a new upgrade but you have to get it, if you have 52.91 and are happy with it, ie don't have any issues, use the link I sent to go to it in releases and get that.

However, please note that your not likely to get any more updates for it.

Its also worth mentioning that the 52x version is the last mozilla developed version it looks like while mozilla hosts it its a redone engine using the new quantom engine.

Unlike firefox bar the addons dialog, its actually quite accessible and is probably what I will use going forward.

However its worth noting that if you really don't like it you can go to 52.91 and stay there for ever more, just know there is no security for you, on the other end, your addon or addons may or may not work in the latest version.

The only thing I changed was messages to open in the same window else it remembered my settings

It also appears that it keeps the same interface themes.

I have not as yet noticed any slowdowns though.

mk360

I installed it yesterday. Personally, in my big gmail account with some folders with more than 7000 messages, it seems to be working faster than the old version, so I think i'll keep it for now. Obviously, some things are working as usual slow, for example delete messages (teoretically I can solve it changing Thunderbird to mark messages as deleted only and not move to the trash forlder, but with this setting the folder need to be manually updated with f5, and it is too distrating for me).
Good version.

Regards,
mk

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 2:17 AM Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
[...]

Roger Stewart

I just ran Ninite for Thunderbird, and I'm now on version 60.0

Roger

On 8/7/2018 12:44 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

.

Narayan <krishnashree1221@...>

Hi, where can i get 64 bit version of Thunderbird? I visited using provided link, but there i couldn't get this. any idea?

On 8/7/2018 8:55 AM, Narayan wrote:
[...]

Antony Stone

Start from https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/60.0/win64 and
select the language you want; the next page gives you the download link.

Antony.

On Tuesday 07 August 2018 at 17:51:34, Narayan wrote:

[...]

If you can't find an Open Source solution for it, then it isn't a real problem.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Bobby Vinton

Hay I was wondering if thunder bird 60 is in 64 bit because I only found the 32 bit version.

On 8/7/2018 12:00 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
[...]

Mary Otten

I just saw an article in the mainstream press about this new update, which talks about a lot of you I changes, mostly visual. It also says that this will be a whole new install, but it does not install over the top of version 52. Does that mean that I’m going to end up with two copies of Thunderbird? Does it also mean that I’m going to have to redo everything in the new one so it is like it is in the old one? That is to include my account information and any settings I have changed? Sorry for the stupid questions. But the other email app I use forever always used to install over itself when it got an upgrade.
Mary

On Aug 7, 2018, at 9:00 AM, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:

[...]

Don H

I installed it over the top of 52 and seems fine.

On 8/7/2018 12:28 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
[...]

You can't update it directly with the update feature of Thunderbird, but if you use the installer it updates your version without trouble.

Regards,
mk.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 1:28 PM Mary Otten <maryotten@...> wrote:
I just saw an article in the mainstream press about this new update, which talks about a lot of you I changes, mostly visual. It also says that this will be a whole new install, but it does not install over the top of version 52. Does that mean that I’m going to end up with two copies of Thunderbird? Does it also mean that I’m going to have to redo everything in the new one so it is like it is in the old one? That is to include my account information and any settings I have changed? Sorry for the stupid questions. But the other email app I use forever always used to install over itself when it got an upgrade.
Mary
> On Aug 7, 2018, at 9:00 AM, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:
>
> Start from https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/60.0/win64 and
> select the language you want; the next page gives you the download link.
>

> Antony.
>
>> On Tuesday 07 August 2018 at 17:51:34, Narayan wrote:
>>
>> Hi, where can i get 64 bit version of Thunderbird? I visited using
>> provided link, but there i couldn't get this. any idea?
>>
>>> On 8/7/2018 8:55 AM, Narayan wrote:
>>> Is there Thunderbird 60 is available? if yes, where can we get it?
>>> please provide link or give instruction to get it. thank you.

> --
> If you can't find an Open Source solution for it, then it isn't a real problem.
>
>                                                   Please reply to the list;
>                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi can I install this version of Thunderbird over the version 54 that I currently have?

Or is it better to uninstall the version that I am currently using and then install the newer version of Thunderbird?

On 8/6/2018 11:27 PM, mcLeod stinnett wrote:
--

Casey

Kenny

You should remove the 32 bit version first.

Doing so only removes the main 32 bit application files stored in Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird. It doesn't remove the important user data files (Profile settings, custom filters, current mailboxes and content.) stored in the Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird folder.

On 8/7/2018 3:09 PM, Casey wrote:
Hi can I install this version of Thunderbird over the version 54 that I currently have?

Or is it better to uninstall the version that I am currently using and then install the newer version of Thunderbird?

On 8/6/2018 11:27 PM, mcLeod stinnett wrote:

Mary Otten

So you are saying just go into that folder and delete the mail program executable? Or is it going to be more complicated than that, involving registry entries etc?

Mary

On 8/7/2018 3:09 PM, Casey wrote:
Hi can I install this version of Thunderbird over the version 54 that I currently have?

Or is it better to uninstall the version that I am currently using and then install the newer version of Thunderbird?

On 8/6/2018 11:27 PM, mcLeod stinnett wrote:

Kenny

Just use the conventional Add/Remove entry created in the Windows Programs panel. Uninstall the 32 bit version of Thunderbird just like you would any other Windows application you wanted to remove off your PC. Once done install the new 64 bit version.

On 8/7/2018 3:09 PM, Casey wrote:
Hi can I install this version of Thunderbird over the version 54 that I currently have?

Or is it better to uninstall the version that I am currently using and then install the newer version of Thunderbird?

On 8/6/2018 11:27 PM, mcLeod stinnett wrote:

if you search for thunderbit ftp, the first page is the entire release archive.

from there, selecting the release you want I suggest doing an nvda f7 for list elements, typing 60 or whatever release is the latest then hitting enter on that, select win32 or win64 then your language then the thunderbird file.

There is a 64 bit version however you will have to do a bit of doodling to get it, note there may be a way through the builds on thunderbird.net but I have not studdied this as such as I can perfectly get it off the ftp archive easily enough.

You do need to know what language you use, for most of us en-us should be fine but if you don't care about us or need different spellings or something en-gb is fine for us to, other languages will have to know the language code, ie ru, pl, af, al, or whatever your lang code is.

On 8/8/2018 4:08 AM, Bobby Vinton wrote:
[...]

Uninstall 52 first then install the new version.

You will not loose any configurations or data so go ahead.