From: "Brian Tew via Groups.Io" <briantew1951=icloud.com@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 7:49 AM
Subject: [nvda] rude braille

A big problem for me using skype in braille is that each message is not allowed to finish
if another message arrives. the speech is much more well-behaved--
each message is spoken completely before the next one begins. Is there a way to make braille
behave that way? Ideably I would like to control what I read instead of the incoming message
snatching the focus each time.
thanks for any suggestions.
nvda, skype 8.25, windows 10, 64bit desktop.

Jonathan COHN

Hello,

Need a few more design considerations.

When we are talking about chat programs there are usually 3 components, functions, message history and message input.

I expect when you are typing input especially from the bralle keyboard you would want the bralle display to have your input.
It could also be beneficial to know how many messages are in the chat history and how many are unread. (perhaps a few status cells for this and also to indicate if viewing history or input. How would you format the status i

Generally converstions can get a bit verpose like saying emogee and giving full name / e-mail address along with time stampts. (often not cared about)

Also, since there are several chat systems out there it might make sense to create a generalized object that could handle what I describe above and then have app level functionality for Skype / AOLM / MS Teams / Skype for business, Slack.

Any other ideas on a generalized braille chat interface?

Jonathan

On 8/8/18, 2:52 AM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Brian Tew via Groups.Io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of briantew1951=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

A big problem for me using skype in braille is that each message is not allowed to finish
if another message arrives. the speech is much more well-behaved--
each message is spoken completely before the next one begins. Is there a way to make braille
behave that way? Ideably I would like to control what I read instead of the incoming message
snatching the focus each time.
thanks for any suggestions.
nvda, skype 8.25, windows 10, 64bit desktop.

Brian Tew

On 8/8/18, 2:52 AM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Brian Tew via Groups.Io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of briantew1951@...> wrote:

[...]

The only thing I am concerned about is the stream of incoming messages.
Profiles, chat history and other extraneous information can be reviewed at leisure, but a lively conversation needs to move faster than a depressed snail.
In linux I can pipe chat programs through the sed streaming editor and eliminate most unwanted nonsense.
If nvda braille had the same filtering capability as nvda sreech I would be a happy skyper.
using regular expressions I could make my braille skype output much better.
I could filter out the repetitious junk.

Brian Tew

Johnathan Cohn wrote:
I expect when you are typing input especially from the bralle keyboard you would want the bralle display to have your input.

Absolutely not.

I always turn echo off when chatting in linux.
Reading my own messages just slows me down in braille.
Anything I can do to redkce the clutter is good for braille as long as I still have the chat text.
Ideally seeing my own chat messages should be an option I can choose or not.
With a filter using regular expressions I could use a pattern like

^from myname

to filter out my chat messages.

Jonathan COHN

Hello,

After reading your further messages, perhaps turning off Braille messages by setting the timeout to zero in the NVDA Braille settings panel will give you the results you want.

Johnathan wrote:
After reading your further messages, perhaps turning off Braille messages by setting the timeout to zero in the NVDA Braille settings panel will give you the results you want.

That is an improvement, thanks. The good news is that new braille messages
don't snatch me away before I can finish reading.
The bad news is that braille messages no longer appear in the "tnpe a message here" window.
I have to flip back and forth between two windows--one to read and one to type.
Maybe there are keyboard commands for this that will make it quicker.
I type on the pc which is way faster than using my braille keyboard.
The other big problem of extra unnecessary repetitious words in each braille message remains.
I guess this is about the best It can be with current software.
We sure need a braille filtering system to eliminate excess verbiage.

To a sighted user or even an audio user this all will seem picayune no doubt, but braille is just slower.
Message arrives. I take my hands off the typing keys and grope the braille;
then I scroll up or down to find the message because it is not usually right on the display;
then I pan left or right to find the actual words among the clutter of padding from the skype program.
Hurray--I have read one message. When nou have six or eight people jabbering away every small speedup helps.
I can keep up in irc on linux, but not really in skype yet.