How to click on links when they won't click

Scott VanDeWalle

Hi all.

I hope someone can help me here.

Once in a while, more and more lately it seems, I can not click with the enter key, or control enter, or the space bar and even with the num pad using numpad 0 enter.

So how do you click on a link in that case?

Thank you

Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jonathan COHN

The only option I didn’t see you list was to route the mouse to the navigator item and then click the mouse button.

I have seen one style of graphical link that Firefox screen readers can’t seem to use at all.

These links have a graphic that is a background image (thereby occupying no real space and then the link is labeled for screen readers with “off screen text”. I think Firefox knows the text is out of the view port but the scrren reader commands to move mouse to content and then click perhaps are trying to move the mouse to the entirely wrong place. On the sites I help with accessibility on, we were able to tell the developers to use an aria-label instead of off screen text and this solved the problem.  But unless you can talk to the developer of the site I guess you can’t go that approach.

In which case the only other solution I can think of is try another browser or screen reader.

Take care

!

Jonathan Cohn

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Scott VanDeWalle <scottvandewalle2@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] How to click on links when they won't click

Hi all.

I hope someone can help me here.

Once in a while, more and more lately it seems, I can not click with the enter key, or control enter, or the space bar and even with the num pad using numpad 0 enter.

So how do you click on a link in that case?

Thank you

Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Andy

Try SHIFT-ENTER.

Andy

Once in a while, more and more lately it seems, I can not click with the enter key, or control enter, or the space bar and even with the num pad using numpad 0 enter.

So how do you click on a link in that case?

Thank you

Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Mike Gurney

Try using the context key and cursor to "open in a new window" and hit enter.  This certainly works for some links.

Best wishes

Mike.

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Scott VanDeWalle <scottvandewalle2@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Hi all.

I hope someone can help me here.

Once in a while, more and more lately it seems, I can not click with the enter key, or control enter, or the space bar and even with the num pad using numpad 0 enter.

So how do you click on a link in that case?

Thank you

Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

While I doubt this will help in a lot of cases, sometimes turning browse mode off and then pressing enter on the link, use read current line to make sure you are on the link after browse mode is off first, might work.

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Scott VanDeWalle <scottvandewalle2@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Hi all.

I hope someone can help me here.

Once in a while, more and more lately it seems, I can not click with the enter key, or control enter, or the space bar and even with the num pad using numpad 0 enter.

So how do you click on a link in that case?

Thank you

Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

That's what shift enter does and it's faster and more convenient.

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Scott VanDeWalle <scottvandewalle2@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 04:20 PM, Scott VanDeWalle wrote:

Once in a while, more and more lately it seems, I can not click with the enter key, or control enter, or the space bar and even with the num pad using numpad 0 enter.

So how do you click on a link in that case?

Scott,

            Interesting that you bring this up today, as what I think is a similar situation to yours is something I just answered, and lamely (since I have no solution), is that there is the increasing use of "mouse hover over" menu systems that screen readers identify as links.  The one I was just talking about is the main navigation structure on crochet.org and on that page once you're in their navigation area only the "Home" and "Blog" links are actual links.  The others are hover-over menus and I cannot activate them with any keyboard commands I have tried.  Once my mouse is hovered over the top level links the menu appears, and I can tab through those links, but what's particularly evil is that most of those links are second level hover over controls that cause the next submenu to show up, and I can't make that submenu appear without hovering over.

             I could have sworn that either JAWS or NVDA had a command that was the equivalent of "bring the mouse pointer here as though it were hovering over this item" but I can't find them at the moment.

             If you can post a specific site you're having this issue with I can at least confirm whether this sort of navigation structure is at play there.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Tyler Wood

Hi,

Capslock shift m does work, sometimes. Numpad insert and slash is another way to focus the mouse pointer to the NVDA cursor in desktop keyboard mode.

I say sometimes because it can be very hit or miss, especially if something else is taking focus.

On 08-Aug-2018 4:20 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Hello Brian.

The site I’m trying to sign up on is

https://joinmastodon.org/

Actually the only link that I can seem to activate is how it works and it just plays a video.

Thanks, and thanks to all for the suggestions

[...]

Well, if what Scott was asking about is a "hover over" menu structure I have now been successful in using it with a combination of INS+Num Pad Slash (left mouse click) once I have focus on the top level link to get the menu to appear.  I can then tab through the menu items.  If I hit enter on one and nothing happens that indicates to me that it's another hover over, and I INS+Num Pad Slash to get its submenu to appear then tab through it.

If a link activates successfully with Enter or Spacebar then it's a normal link.  If it just sits there its a hover over link (at least so far), and I'm able to force the hover over to activate by doing a virtual left click, which does nothing but give mouse focus where it should be so that the submenu appears, as the actual click on these links when you're actually using a mouse does nothing.  It's the progressive movement of the mouse hovering over the various hover over links until you get to a "real" link that makes all this show up "the sighted way."  [The previous is included simply for comparison, contrasting, and because I figure some people are curious.  I'm not expecting anyone to actually use the mouse.]

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Jackie

Brian v, what I do is press the bring mouse to focus key, ie, capslock
m, to the link, then hit spacebar. When u press down arrow, you can
then read the expanded items. PITA, though, & I don't mean the
flatbread kind.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

   A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for
all humankind.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Cristóbal

Yup. Sometimes, you just have to mouse click on text. Especially in Firefox where you have that element announcement turned off. After a while, you kind of just know what’s a clickable item.