How to click on links when they won't click

Scott VanDeWalle

Hi all.

I hope someone can help me here.

Once in a while, more and more lately it seems, I can not click with the enter key, or control enter, or the space bar and even with the num pad using numpad 0 enter.

So how do you click on a link in that case? 

Thank you

Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jonathan COHN

The only option I didn’t see you list was to route the mouse to the navigator item and then click the mouse button.

I have seen one style of graphical link that Firefox screen readers can’t seem to use at all.

These links have a graphic that is a background image (thereby occupying no real space and then the link is labeled for screen readers with “off screen text”. I think Firefox knows the text is out of the view port but the scrren reader commands to move mouse to content and then click perhaps are trying to move the mouse to the entirely wrong place. On the sites I help with accessibility on, we were able to tell the developers to use an aria-label instead of off screen text and this solved the problem.  But unless you can talk to the developer of the site I guess you can’t go that approach.

In which case the only other solution I can think of is try another browser or screen reader.

Take care

!

Jonathan Cohn

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Scott VanDeWalle <scottvandewalle2@...>
Reply-To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] How to click on links when they won't click

Hi all.

Once in a while, more and more lately it seems, I can not click with the enter key, or control enter, or the space bar and even with the num pad using numpad 0 enter.

Thank you

Scott

Andy

Try SHIFT-ENTER.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 1:20 PM

Hi all.

Thank you

Scott

Mike Gurney

Try using the context key and cursor to "open in a new window" and hit enter.  This certainly works for some links.

Best wishes

Mike.

On 08/08/2018 21:33, Cohn, Jonathan wrote:

The only option I didn’t see you list was to route the mouse to the navigator item and then click the mouse button.

I have seen one style of graphical link that Firefox screen readers can’t seem to use at all.

These links have a graphic that is a background image (thereby occupying no real space and then the link is labeled for screen readers with “off screen text”. I think Firefox knows the text is out of the view port but the scrren reader commands to move mouse to content and then click perhaps are trying to move the mouse to the entirely wrong place. On the sites I help with accessibility on, we were able to tell the developers to use an aria-label instead of off screen text and this solved the problem.  But unless you can talk to the developer of the site I guess you can’t go that approach.

In which case the only other solution I can think of is try another browser or screen reader.

Take care

!

Jonathan Cohn

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Scott VanDeWalle <scottvandewalle2@...>

Hi all.

Thank you

Scott

Gene

While I doubt this will help in a lot of cases, sometimes turning browse mode off and then pressing enter on the link, use read current line to make sure you are on the link after browse mode is off first, might work.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to click on links when they won't click

Take care

!

Jonathan Cohn

Hi all.

Thank you

Scott

Gene

That's what shift enter does and it's faster and more convenient.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 3:37 PM

Try using the context key and cursor to "open in a new window" and hit enter.  This certainly works for some links.

Best wishes

Mike.

On 08/08/2018 21:33, Cohn, Jonathan wrote:

Take care

!

Jonathan Cohn

Hi all.

Thank you

Scott

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 04:20 PM, Scott VanDeWalle wrote:

Scott,

Interesting that you bring this up today, as what I think is a similar situation to yours is something I just answered, and lamely (since I have no solution), is that there is the increasing use of "mouse hover over" menu systems that screen readers identify as links.  The one I was just talking about is the main navigation structure on crochet.org and on that page once you're in their navigation area only the "Home" and "Blog" links are actual links.  The others are hover-over menus and I cannot activate them with any keyboard commands I have tried.  Once my mouse is hovered over the top level links the menu appears, and I can tab through those links, but what's particularly evil is that most of those links are second level hover over controls that cause the next submenu to show up, and I can't make that submenu appear without hovering over.

I could have sworn that either JAWS or NVDA had a command that was the equivalent of "bring the mouse pointer here as though it were hovering over this item" but I can't find them at the moment.

If you can post a specific site you're having this issue with I can at least confirm whether this sort of navigation structure is at play there.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for all humankind.

~ Richard Dehmel

Tyler Wood

Hi,

Capslock shift m does work, sometimes. Numpad insert and slash is another way to focus the mouse pointer to the NVDA cursor in desktop keyboard mode.

I say sometimes because it can be very hit or miss, especially if something else is taking focus.

On 08-Aug-2018 4:20 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Scott,

Interesting that you bring this up today, as what I think is a similar situation to yours is something I just answered, and lamely (since I have no solution), is that there is the increasing use of "mouse hover over" menu systems that screen readers identify as links.  The one I was just talking about is the main navigation structure on crochet.org and on that page once you're in their navigation area only the "Home" and "Blog" links are actual links.  The others are hover-over menus and I cannot activate them with any keyboard commands I have tried.  Once my mouse is hovered over the top level links the menu appears, and I can tab through those links, but what's particularly evil is that most of those links are second level hover over controls that cause the next submenu to show up, and I can't make that submenu appear without hovering over.

I could have sworn that either JAWS or NVDA had a command that was the equivalent of "bring the mouse pointer here as though it were hovering over this item" but I can't find them at the moment.

If you can post a specific site you're having this issue with I can at least confirm whether this sort of navigation structure is at play there.

--

A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for all humankind.

~ Richard Dehmel

Scott VanDeWalle

Hello Brian.

The site I’m trying to sign up on is

https://joinmastodon.org/

Actually the only link that I can seem to activate is how it works and it just plays a video.

Thanks, and thanks to all for the suggestions

Scott

Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 5:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Scott,

--

~ Richard Dehmel

Well, if what Scott was asking about is a "hover over" menu structure I have now been successful in using it with a combination of INS+Num Pad Slash (left mouse click) once I have focus on the top level link to get the menu to appear.  I can then tab through the menu items.  If I hit enter on one and nothing happens that indicates to me that it's another hover over, and I INS+Num Pad Slash to get its submenu to appear then tab through it.

If a link activates successfully with Enter or Spacebar then it's a normal link.  If it just sits there its a hover over link (at least so far), and I'm able to force the hover over to activate by doing a virtual left click, which does nothing but give mouse focus where it should be so that the submenu appears, as the actual click on these links when you're actually using a mouse does nothing.  It's the progressive movement of the mouse hovering over the various hover over links until you get to a "real" link that makes all this show up "the sighted way."  [The previous is included simply for comparison, contrasting, and because I figure some people are curious.  I'm not expecting anyone to actually use the mouse.]
--

~ Richard Dehmel

Jackie

Brian v, what I do is press the bring mouse to focus key, ie, capslock
m, to the link, then hit spacebar. When u press down arrow, you can
then read the expanded items. PITA, though, & I don't mean the
flatbread kind.

On 8/8/18, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, if what Scott was asking about is a "hover over" menu structure I have
now been successful in using it with a combination of INS+Num Pad Slash
(left mouse click) once I have focus on the top level link to get the menu
to appear.  I can then tab through the menu items.  If I hit enter on one
and nothing happens that indicates to me that it's another hover over, and I
INS+Num Pad Slash to get its submenu to appear then tab through it.

If a link activates successfully with Enter or Spacebar then it's a normal
link.  If it just sits there its a hover over link (at least so far), and
I'm able to force the hover over to activate by doing a virtual left click,
which does nothing but give mouse focus where it should be so that the
submenu appears, as the actual click on these links when you're actually
using a mouse does nothing.  It's the progressive movement of the mouse
hovering over the various hover over links until you get to a "real" link
that makes all this show up "the sighted way."  [The previous is included
simply for comparison, contrasting, and because I figure some people are
curious.  I'm not expecting anyone to actually use the mouse.]
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for
all humankind.

~ Richard Dehmel

--
Remember! Friends Help Friends Be Cybersafe
Jackie McBride
Helping Cybercrime Victims 1 Person at a Time
https://brighter-vision.com

Cristóbal

Yup. Sometimes, you just have to mouse click on text. Especially in Firefox where you have that element announcement turned off. After a while, you kind of just know what’s a clickable item.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:20 PM

Well, if what Scott was asking about is a "hover over" menu structure I have now been successful in using it with a combination of INS+Num Pad Slash (left mouse click) once I have focus on the top level link to get the menu to appear.  I can then tab through the menu items.  If I hit enter on one and nothing happens that indicates to me that it's another hover over, and I INS+Num Pad Slash to get its submenu to appear then tab through it.

If a link activates successfully with Enter or Spacebar then it's a normal link.  If it just sits there its a hover over link (at least so far), and I'm able to force the hover over to activate by doing a virtual left click, which does nothing but give mouse focus where it should be so that the submenu appears, as the actual click on these links when you're actually using a mouse does nothing.  It's the progressive movement of the mouse hovering over the various hover over links until you get to a "real" link that makes all this show up "the sighted way."  [The previous is included simply for comparison, contrasting, and because I figure some people are curious.  I'm not expecting anyone to actually use the mouse.]
--

~ Richard Dehmel

Gene

what browser are you using?  I tried two or three links and got them to work in the usual way.  I saw some menu buttons and I tried activating one.  I had to do the following:
I used the I am menu button.  I went into forms mode.  I pressed enter on the I am button and was then able to down arrow through a menu of fifteen items.  I didn't do anything further such as to try to work with the menu by pressing enter on an item. 

I didn't test with new versions of programs.  I would have had to go online with my Windows 7 machine.  But I would think that if the Firefox version 52.X ESR can work with an older version of NVDA, then newer versions should be able to work as well. 

How many browsers did you try and which ones?  Also, firefox works but Chrome won't load the site, saying it can't establish a secure connection.  I don't know if this matters, I don't know what information the site asks for.  But you might not be using a secure connection.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 6:12 PM

Hello Brian.

Actually the only link that I can seem to activate is how it works and it just plays a video.

Scott

Scott,

--

~ Richard Dehmel

Jackie,

I had a write-o, it's not typographical, as INS + Num Pad Slash is the desktop keystroke sequence while INS + Shift + M is the laptop sequence for bringing the mouse to the navigator object (that link, in this case), and that's what I was doing, not a left mouse click, which is just number pad slash for desktop.

I did not have luck with arrow down, at least not as consistently, after the hover over menus were visible.  But hitting tab always took me through them, item by item.  It appears that both methods work, so if down arrow didn't I'd try TAB or vice versa after having done the move mouse to navigator object command.

It is a PITA, but so much about using alternate access to what is a visual medium by design, is, and sometimes far more so than others.  At least there appears to be a functional way to do it!

--

~ Richard Dehmel

Scott,

The site you list has another twist on the hover over theme but it's not hover over.   That page is, overall, one of the most complex I've encountered in a long time.

It's difficult to know what to experiment with.  If you have a specific control you'd like for me to explore to start let me know what it is.

--

~ Richard Dehmel

Ron Canazzi

Hi Scott,

One other thing I have noticed is that on  some sites, if you switch to edit or focus mode, you can activate some links that otherwise won't activate with the enter key, control + enter key and/or routing mouse to pointer and then left clicking.

One notable site used to be the Tune In site: http://tunein.com.  This was corrected 2 years ago, but in 2016 mid football season (US football) When you wanted to activate the listen link for a game, if you just pressed enter or used the other conventional methods described above, nothing would happen.  For laughs and giggles, I decided to try switching to focus mode or edit mode or whatever it is called with insert + space bar.  Then I used the tab key to highlight what was described as the football team followed by clickable as in Miami Dolphins clickable.  When I highlighted the link that way, and press enter, the link activated and the game played.

I had sent e-mail to the web developers concerning this issue and I can't say for sure it was my e-mails, but mid way through the football season, they redesigned the page so now the team names show up as standard links and the pressing of the enter key works as expected.

On 8/8/2018 4:20 PM, Scott VanDeWalle wrote:

Hi all.

Thank you

Scott

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Interesting this, as some people with Parkinson's cannot use these sites well either. Its about time somebody talked to the creators and pointed out that an alternative might be a good idea.

I think we can add this one to all the other mal designed site issues that seem to be increasing again after a short period of getting better. Folk have forgotten the ground rules of keep it simple stupid
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2018 12:19 AM

Well, if what Scott was asking about is a "hover over" menu structure I have now been successful in using it with a combination of INS+Num Pad Slash (left mouse click) once I have focus on the top level link to get the menu to appear. I can then tab through the menu items. If I hit enter on one and nothing happens that indicates to me that it's another hover over, and I INS+Num Pad Slash to get its submenu to appear then tab through it.

If a link activates successfully with Enter or Spacebar then it's a normal link. If it just sits there its a hover over link (at least so far), and I'm able to force the hover over to activate by doing a virtual left click, which does nothing but give mouse focus where it should be so that the submenu appears, as the actual click on these links when you're actually using a mouse does nothing. It's the progressive movement of the mouse hovering over the various hover over links until you get to a "real" link that makes all this show up "the sighted way." [The previous is included simply for comparison, contrasting, and because I figure some people are curious. I'm not expecting anyone to actually use the mouse.]
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

~ Richard Dehmel

What is this site, I did not see an address.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2018 1:59 AM

Scott,

The site you list has another twist on the hover over theme but it's not hover over. That page is, overall, one of the most complex I've encountered in a long time.

It's difficult to know what to experiment with. If you have a specific control you'd like for me to explore to start let me know what it is.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

~ Richard Dehmel

That is indeed a strange site. What a pity the makers cannot simply fix this as they would I suggest find a market with disabled users.

Has anyone actually contacted them?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2018 12:12 AM

Hello Brian.

Scott

Scott,

Interesting that you bring this up today, as what I think is a similar situation to yours is something I just answered, and lamely (since I have no solution), is that there is the increasing use of "mouse hover over" menu systems that screen readers identify as links. The one I was just talking about is the main navigation structure on crochet.org and on that page once you're in their navigation area only the "Home" and "Blog" links are actual links. The others are hover-over menus and I cannot activate them with any keyboard commands I have tried. Once my mouse is hovered over the top level links the menu appears, and I can tab through those links, but what's particularly evil is that most of those links are second level hover over controls that cause the next submenu to show up, and I can't make that submenu appear without hovering over.

--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
~ Richard Dehmel

Well waterfox works better than the latest Firefox does, but its still a little clunky to me.
It really needs to be far more obvious and basic in design aas to get to the new content you clicked on its a bit of a hunting job. It also seems that the links do not generate the click on browsers that would normally make that sound.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2018 12:36 AM

what browser are you using? I tried two or three links and got them to work in the usual way. I saw some menu buttons and I tried activating one. I had to do the following:
I used the I am menu button. I went into forms mode. I pressed enter on the I am button and was then able to down arrow through a menu of fifteen items. I didn't do anything further such as to try to work with the menu by pressing enter on an item.

I didn't test with new versions of programs. I would have had to go online with my Windows 7 machine. But I would think that if the Firefox version 52.X ESR can work with an older version of NVDA, then newer versions should be able to work as well.

How many browsers did you try and which ones? Also, firefox works but Chrome won't load the site, saying it can't establish a secure connection. I don't know if this matters, I don't know what information the site asks for. But you might not be using a secure connection.

Gene
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 6:12 PM

Hello Brian.

Scott

Scott,

Interesting that you bring this up today, as what I think is a similar situation to yours is something I just answered, and lamely (since I have no solution), is that there is the increasing use of "mouse hover over" menu systems that screen readers identify as links. The one I was just talking about is the main navigation structure on crochet.org and on that page once you're in their navigation area only the "Home" and "Blog" links are actual links. The others are hover-over menus and I cannot activate them with any keyboard commands I have tried. Once my mouse is hovered over the top level links the menu appears, and I can tab through those links, but what's particularly evil is that most of those links are second level hover over controls that cause the next submenu to show up, and I can't make that submenu appear without hovering over.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

~ Richard Dehmel