Accessibility check request

Rayn Darren

Hi group,

I’ve run across a problem and I can’t quite figure out if it’s just me or happens to others. I was on my website, www.dragonsofmyth.com and found NVDA reading  “table”, “table with 1 row and one column”, “table with 3 rows” over and over again, then reading the text on the page. This only happens on specific templates for the site. I know for a fact that there are no tables on the page as I made the site. This is a new problem, that I only noticed yesterday. The only thing I can think of is NVDA is picking up the images that are used to visually delineate between columns and is recognizing them as “tables”. I would really appreciate it if someone, or several someone’s could confirm this? I’m hesitant to alter anything at the moment, as if it’s just me, I’ll deal with it 😊.

Thanks so much,

Rayn

Tyler Spivey

Go to NVDA, Preferences, Settings, Browse Mode, and uncheck Include
layout tables.

<http://www.dragonsofmyth.com> and found NVDA reading  “table”, “table
with 1 row and one column”, “table with 3 rows” over and over again,
then reading the text on the page. This only happens on specific
templates for the site. I know for a fact that there are no tables on
the page as I made the site. This is a new problem, that I only noticed
yesterday. The only thing I can think of is NVDA is picking up the
images that are used to visually delineate between columns and is
recognizing them as “tables”. I would really appreciate it if someone,
or several someone’s could confirm this? I’m hesitant to alter anything
at the moment, as if it’s just me, I’ll deal with it 😊.

Thanks so much,

Rayn

Rayn Darren

Thanks so much, will give it a shot..... is this a new thing? I've been running NVDA for years and have had the site for even longer and it's never happened before.

[...]

Hmmmm, the setting is not checked. Any other suggestions?

[...]

Yep. What browser are you using, and what template?
I assume you can see this on the main homepage, without creating a
character?

On 8/8/2018 2:32 PM, Rayn Darren wrote:
[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Uncheck the box called tables under the document   formatting  section in NVDA
I do not think the one under it would have to be done.

I had this turned off on your website then turned it on and then i heard it say what you said.

You must of used some type of table?

Gene nz

On 8/9/2018 8:31 AM, Rayn Darren wrote:

[...]

Gene

The setting that was discussed only stops announcement of layout tables.  Turn report tables off in document formatting.

But what may have changed on the site to cause this behavior is something I don't know.  That will solve the problem of what you hear.  If you are concerned about other blind people using the site, you would have to find out what the underlying structure is on the site causing the announcement.

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 4:32 PM

Hmmmm, the setting is not checked. Any other suggestions?

Go to NVDA, Preferences, Settings, Browse Mode, and uncheck Include
layout tables.

On 8/8/2018 1:31 PM, Rayn Darren wrote:
> Hi group,
>

> I’ve run across a problem and I can’t quite figure out if it’s just me
> or happens to others. I was on my website, www.dragonsofmyth.com
> <http://www.dragonsofmyth.com> and found NVDA reading  “table”, “table
> with 1 row and one column”, “table with 3 rows” over and over again,
> then reading the text on the page. This only happens on specific
> templates for the site. I know for a fact that there are no tables on
> the page as I made the site. This is a new problem, that I only noticed
> yesterday. The only thing I can think of is NVDA is picking up the
> images that are used to visually delineate between columns and is
> recognizing them as “tables”. I would really appreciate it if someone,
> or several someone’s could confirm this? I’m hesitant to alter anything
> at the moment, as if it’s just me, I’ll deal with it 😊.
>

> Thanks so much,
>
> Rayn

Rayn Darren

I almost exclusively use Edge, I'm using jade template as mythblackplain, which I made does not have the issue. Yes, you can see it on the homepage without creating a character, though you're more than welcome to do so 😊.

[...]

Huh, yup, that fixed it. there are no tables on the page though; there are images of bars that visually mark sections however.

Thanks!

[...]

Antony Stone

You might find https://validator.w3.org/check useful.

Enter the address of your website into the Address box and press Enter.

It will give you an assessment of how good the HTML of the page is, and for
that site it shows me quite a number of warnings about table structure.

Antony.

--
Python is executable pseudocode.
Perl is executable line noise.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Rayn Darren

Right, thanks again, I’m investigating now.

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 4:32 PM

Hmmmm, the setting is not checked. Any other suggestions?

Go to NVDA, Preferences, Settings, Browse Mode, and uncheck Include
layout tables.

On 8/8/2018 1:31 PM, Rayn Darren wrote:
> Hi group,
>

> I’ve run across a problem and I can’t quite figure out if it’s just me
> or happens to others. I was on my website, www.dragonsofmyth.com
> <http://www.dragonsofmyth.com> and found NVDA reading  “table”, “table
> with 1 row and one column”, “table with 3 rows” over and over again,
> then reading the text on the page. This only happens on specific
> templates for the site. I know for a fact that there are no tables on
> the page as I made the site. This is a new problem, that I only noticed
> yesterday. The only thing I can think of is NVDA is picking up the
> images that are used to visually delineate between columns and is
> recognizing them as “tables”. I would really appreciate it if someone,
> or several someone’s could confirm this? I’m hesitant to alter anything
> at the moment, as if it’s just me, I’ll deal with it
😊.

> Thanks so much,
>
> Rayn

Rayn Darren

Thanks, will check it out!

[...]

There's an open NVDA issue about this:

On 8/8/2018 2:55 PM, Rayn Darren wrote:
Thanks, will check it out!

[...]

Edge shows the issue, Firefox doesn't.
There are tables on the page, used for layout. Check the source.
As an example, on the login form, Username and Password are in separate
cells.

On 8/8/2018 2:48 PM, Rayn Darren wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Well, looks like I have the rest of my month planned, lol.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The problem with this is then wanted tables will not be spoken either, even if you use a profile for the web browser it will mean all web tables will not be indicated.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I’ve run across a problem and I can’t quite figure out if it’s just me or happens to others. I was on my website, www.dragonsofmyth.com<http://www.dragonsofmyth.com> and found NVDA reading “table”, “table with 1 row and one column”, “table with 3 rows” over and over again, then reading the text on the page. This only happens on specific templates for the site. I know for a fact that there are no tables on the page as I made the site. This is a new problem, that I only noticed yesterday. The only thing I can think of is NVDA is picking up the images that are used to visually delineate between columns and is recognizing them as “tables”. I would really appreciate it if someone, or several someone’s could confirm this? I’m hesitant to alter anything at the moment, as if it’s just me, I’ll deal with it 😊.

Thanks so much,
Rayn

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

What tool was used to make the site. What happens if you change the graphics to just blank ones, ie empty. I'm just wondering if something has made it think its a table in the tool that made it.