The Way NVDA Announces Punctuation As I Type

Wilco

Hi,

I’m a relative NVDA newby just trying to navigate my way through the transition from JAWS.

One thing I’m struggling with a bit is the way NVDA speaks as I am typing. For instance, if I want to type a word with an apostrophe in it, as soon as I hit the apostrophe key, NVDA announces the word to that point, and then announces the rest of the word when I press space at the end.

So don’t is  spoken as don t, which is kind of off-putting when word processing.

Is there any way around this?

I have NVDA set to only announce words when I type.

Also, if possible I’d quite like NVDA to announce punctuation that I type, but not punctuation as I read. So I might want the reassurance of hearing NVDA say period or question mark when I enter them at the end of a sentence, but I wouldn’t want it to read out every full stop and question mark in text that I am simple browsing or reading.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers, Will.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

If you use the nvda key + 2 key it will turn speak typed characters either on and off. If you use the nvda key + 3 it will either turn the speak typed words on or off. The nvda key is a modifier key which is either the insert key, the extended insert key or the caps lock key..

You could also try using the nvda key + letter P. This will toggle between how much punctuation is spoken.

Gene nz

On 8/10/2018 4:07 AM, Wilco wrote:

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi Will,

You are correct re apostrophe being treated as a word break when speaking typed words.  There is an issue open for it, which doesn't appear to have had any updates lately: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6215  I've just commented on it myself.

Re speaking punctuation as you type but not as you read, as Gene noted, press NVDA+p to change NVDA's punctuation level while reading only.  It has four states, None, Some, Most and All.  The higher the level, the more punctuation gets read, and the lower the level, the less gets read when reading.  When typing, if speak typed characters on, NVDA will read any punctuation character you type, regardless of the punctuation level.  This doesn't quite work in with the way you want to work if you want to have speak typed characters off unfortunately.  I can't think of a way of having NVDA read the punctuation characters that you type without reading the letters as well.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

This is not what he was asking though. I think he was asking why a word is presumed to have ended by an apostrophe and then on the typing of the last letter and space spoken again.
its debatable which is totally correct. In one case, ie Jaws, it seems to look for a space to say the preceding word, but on nvda it seems any punctuation also invokes speech. I actually like it as it is, but it can be odd to those used to other ways.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Hi All. Thanks for all your help on this. I have a decent understanding of the situation now. As a writer by profession, the way my screenreader speaks to me as I type is really important, so things like the apostrophe issue can really interrupt my workflow and make the sentence I am putting together sound really odd. Likewise, the way the screenreader reads documents in Say All is also pretty crucial since it can make my copy sound really fluid if read well, or conversely, it can make good prose sound terrible if not read properly. I’m trying to get used to how NVDA handles commas at the moment for example, because it does make my work sound completely different to how it does when read with JAWS.

Thanks for all your help though.

Gene

You have been talking about what happens when you type.  Now, you appear to be talking about how punctuation is being read when you actually read text.  Aside from differences in typing echo, are you talking about other differences?

Gene
Hi All. Thanks for all your help on this. I have a decent understanding of the situation now. As a writer by profession, the way my screenreader speaks to me as I type is really important, so things like the apostrophe issue can really interrupt my workflow and make the sentence I am putting together sound really odd. Likewise, the way the screenreader reads documents in Say All is also pretty crucial since it can make my copy sound really fluid if read well, or conversely, it can make good prose sound terrible if not read properly. I’m trying to get used to how NVDA handles commas at the moment for example, because it does make my work sound completely different to how it does when read with JAWS.

Thanks for all your help though.

Wilco

Hi Gene. The main query was about how NVDA talks as I type. In that last post I threw in the point about how NDA reads back what I have typed, but that was purely an incidental remark. There was no query or wider point associated with it. It was just an observation.