Topics

NVDA and AMD processors

Don H

Just purchased a HP Envy 13z laptop that has AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor and
AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics.
I have installed the latest released version of NVDA. I am having a issue where NVDA stops talking and has to be restarted to get speech back.
Are there any known issues with NVDA on a AMD system? Any hints in how to figure out what is going on?
Thanks

Mike Sedmak

Is your audio driver up to date?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone, please forgive the typos.

On Aug 13, 2018, at 4:21 PM, Don H <lmddh50@adams.net> wrote:

Just purchased a HP Envy 13z laptop that has AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor and
AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics.
I have installed the latest released version of NVDA. I am having a issue where NVDA stops talking and has to be restarted to get speech back.
Are there any known issues with NVDA on a AMD system? Any hints in how to figure out what is going on?
Thanks

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I have an AMD also, but haven't had any issues.

Just purchased a HP Envy 13z laptop that has AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor and AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics.
I have installed the latest released version of NVDA. I am having a issue where NVDA stops talking and has to be restarted to get speech back.
Are there any known issues with NVDA on a AMD system? Any hints in how to figure out what is going on?
Thanks

Don H

all drivers are up to date

On 8/13/2018 5:28 PM, Mike Sedmak wrote:
Is your audio driver up to date?
Thanks,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone, please forgive the typos.

On Aug 13, 2018, at 4:21 PM, Don H <lmddh50@adams.net> wrote:

Just purchased a HP Envy 13z laptop that has AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor and
AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics.
I have installed the latest released version of NVDA. I am having a issue where NVDA stops talking and has to be restarted to get speech back.
Are there any known issues with NVDA on a AMD system? Any hints in how to figure out what is going on?
Thanks

Antony Stone

It might help to know what sound card / chipset this machine uses, in case
other people have the same hardware and can comment on any problems they've
experienced.

Also, when NVDA stops talking and needs to be restarted, do other sounds (a
media player, for example) continue normally?

Which version of Windows are you running?

Which speech synthesiser are you using, and have you tried another one to see
whether the problem remains or changes?

Is there any obvious situation or timing to when NVDA gives up - does it stop
when you try to do certain things, or when it's been running for a certain
length of time? How often does it occur?

Antony.

--
Roses are red,
Bacon is too,

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Gene

I don't have the technical knowledge to tell you how to do this but you have to send the log or the appropriate part of the log to someone who can look at it to try     to figure out what is causing the problem.  At this point, we don't even know what is crashing, the screen-reader or the synthesizer.

On 8/13/2018 5:28 PM, Mike Sedmak wrote:
> Is your audio driver up to date?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> Sent from my iPhone, please forgive the typos.
>
>> On Aug 13, 2018, at 4:21 PM, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
>>
>> Just purchased a HP Envy 13z laptop that has AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor and
>> AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics.
>> I have installed the latest released version of NVDA.  I am having a issue where NVDA stops talking and has to be restarted to get speech back.
>> Are there any known issues with NVDA on a AMD system?  Any hints in how to figure out what is going on?
>> Thanks

Monte Single

I have used several computers with intel and a m d cpus. I have used jaws, nvda and win eyes and have had no problems with any combination of cpu and screen reader.
Try this;

Download a demo of jaws, and install it.
Listen for audio problems using jaws.
If there is no problem with jaws and there continues to be a problem with nvda, then you know the problem is nvda.

Which synthiser and voice are you using with nvda?

Just purchased a HP Envy 13z laptop that has AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor and AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics.
I have installed the latest released version of NVDA. I am having a issue where NVDA stops talking and has to be restarted to get speech back.
Are there any known issues with NVDA on a AMD system? Any hints in how to figure out what is going on?
Thanks

Andy

i have an HP desktop with an AMD processor, and having no issues.

Andy

On 8/13/2018 5:28 PM, Mike Sedmak wrote:
Is your audio driver up to date?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone, please forgive the typos.

On Aug 13, 2018, at 4:21 PM, Don H <lmddh50@adams.net> wrote:

Just purchased a HP Envy 13z laptop that has AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor and
AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics.
I have installed the latest released version of NVDA. I am having a issue where NVDA stops talking and has to be restarted to get speech back.
Are there any known issues with NVDA on a AMD system? Any hints in how to figure out what is going on?
Thanks

Brian Tew

Same problem here. audio stops entirely sometimes.
Also an amd processor but on a 64bit desktop.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'd like to also mention that it can be finger trouble or badly designed keyboards that have keys where combinations to mute sound are all to close to ones used regularly for another purpose!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

i have an HP desktop with an AMD processor, and having no issues.

Andy

On 8/13/2018 5:28 PM, Mike Sedmak wrote:
Is your audio driver up to date?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone, please forgive the typos.

On Aug 13, 2018, at 4:21 PM, Don H <lmddh50@adams.net> wrote:

Just purchased a HP Envy 13z laptop that has AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor and
AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics.
I have installed the latest released version of NVDA. I am having a issue where NVDA stops talking and has to be restarted to get speech back.
Are there any known issues with NVDA on a AMD system? Any hints in how to figure out what is going on?
Thanks

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

NVDA makes no distinction between intel or amd processors, it's written (mainly) in python, which is an interpreted language, and it doesn't care if it's an intel, AMD, arm processor, or something entirely different, as long as the interpreter works, python doesn't care, as a result, NVDA shouldn't care either.

On 8/13/2018 6:37 PM, JM Casey wrote:
I have an AMD also, but haven't had any issues.

Just purchased a HP Envy 13z laptop that has AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor and AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics.
I have installed the latest released version of NVDA. I am having a issue where NVDA stops talking and has to be restarted to get speech back.
Are there any known issues with NVDA on a AMD system? Any hints in how to figure out what is going on?
Thanks

Josh Kennedy

I also have an AMD CPU and have no issues.

Don H

I am thinking that maybe the B and O audio might be playing a part in my issue I am thinking it may have some enhanced sound settings. No such Enhanced setting in my Realtech audio settings.