Topics

NVDA + F5 hotkey doing an actual document reload

Jacob Kruger

This is something I think has been going on across a few versions of NVDA now, and, just wanted to confirm that it's not me that's confused.

I am currently making use of Version: alpha-15854,a8bda064, FWIW.

Anyway, I was under the impression that, for example, in a web browser, the hotkey combination of NVDA + F5 should repopulate the virtual buffer rendition of the page contents - I do need this at times since I work with dynamic web contents - but, it seems to, literally, just reload the page as if you'd clicked on something like the browsers own refresh button, or as if you'd in fact told NVDA that the next keypress should be passed directly through to the operating system?

Or am I incorrect in having thought it only repopulated a form of virtual buffer for the webpage?

TIA

Jacob Kruger
082 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

I believe it does reload the document, because, as I recall,  I think it takes too long than to just refresh the buffer.  If so, it is doing the same thing as just f5.  Of course, if you reload the document, you are reloading the buffer.  But try turning browse mode off and then on with NVDA key space.  This may just refresh the buffer.

If NVDA key f5 is explained in the manual, I don't know where.  It isn't discussed in the browse mode section.  It is probably mentioned in the quick reference guide, but it may well not clarify what it does.

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 5:45 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA + F5 hotkey doing an actual document reload

[...]

Problem with standard F5 keystroke is that almost every single browser will then just reload the page from scratch, losing all DHTML content changes.

I do also know that NVDA key + number row 5 is meant to turn on reporting of dynamic content changes, but, it won't always work, partly since, at times, the webpages document-object-model will be rather extensive.

Either way, I had just thought/assumed that it was offering/implementing a form of virtual page buffer refresh, but anyway - will play around with other keystrokes, alt+tabbing away from window, and back to it, etc. etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 5:45 AM

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I suggest you ask this question as an issue on github. I to was under the same impression as you.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

i tried nvda f5 and immediately nvda said refreshed and read the
content very soon at the moment!
i tested with my favorite version of nvda (which is 2017.1) and i dont
see hangs or crashes even i open many many tabs in firefox without
closing for many hours!

[...]

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Gene

To test whether NVDA f5 is refreshing the page or just the buffer, you should disconnect from the Internet while a page is in the browser.  If numpad f5 produces a page not found message, then it is refreshing the page itself, which refreshes the buffer, but it is not just refreshing the buffer.  If, on the other hand, NVDA f5 refreshes and starts to read the page when not connected to the Internet, then we know that the command is refreshing the buffer and not the actual page.

Gene

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Jacob Kruger

Ok, I actually now just tested the NVDA + F5 keystroke on one of my own webpages, where I am making changes to layout/content dynamically, and, it did seem to indeed repopulate the virtual buffer, and, not try reload the page, since, yes, inbetween having loaded the page, and having invoked content changes, I then disconnected from the internet, before hitting that keystroke, and, NVDA key + F5 didn't try reload the page normally, but, just seemed to be rescanning the page contents/document object model, and, I tried this with both firefox and chrome, so, not sure why it seems to, at times operate slightly differently - will need to make notes the next time I come across something like this, to make sure it's not just my own imagination...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
082 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@blindza.co.za>

[...]

I just tested the command by disconnecting from the Internet before issuing it.  it refreshed the buffer even when disconnected from the Internet so it works as initially described.  It just refreshes the buffer without reloading the page.

Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:02 AM

Ok, I actually now just tested the NVDA + F5 keystroke on one of my own
webpages, where I am making changes to layout/content dynamically, and,
it did seem to indeed repopulate the virtual buffer, and, not try reload
the page, since, yes, inbetween having loaded the page, and having
invoked content changes, I then disconnected from the internet, before
hitting that keystroke, and, NVDA key + F5 didn't try reload the page
normally, but, just seemed to be rescanning the page contents/document
object model, and, I tried this with both firefox and chrome, so, not
sure why it seems to, at times operate slightly differently - will need
to make notes the next time I come across something like this, to make
sure it's not just my own imagination...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
082 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On 8/14/2018 5:49 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
> I suggest you ask this question as an issue on github. I to was under
> the same impression as you.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@...>

gene,
do you mean that nvda does not say server not found or no connection
available in this case?

[...]

If you disconnect from the Internet and use NVDA f5, it says nothing because it isn't refreshing the page.  it's just refreshing the buffer.