From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kwork
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 4:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Change on Amazon makes buying options less, possibly inaccessible with screenreaders while on product page

Up through yesterday, I had no trouble buying Kindle books through Amazon. Things were labeled, and easily findable. Today the area of the page where the buying options are seems to have changed.

There is now a new heading called "Buying Options." It's the first heading on the page. The interesting thing about this heading is that there is no number associated with it. Instead of saying "heading level 1," as the heading below it says, all is says is "heading."

I think the buy and read now links, along with the price that used to be readily visible are now hidden inside the new "heading" area. Arrowing down once leads to the "add to list" checkbox.

This has been confirmed both in Firefox 64 and Chrome 64 using Windows 7 64-bit and NVDA 2018.2.1.

If anyone else can confirm, and can have any idea on how to deal with this, that would be appreciated.

Here's an example. For the US, this book is free at least today, hence why I chose it, so trying to buy it won't cost anybody any money. And, yes, the page is the same whether a book is free or not:

Don H

Just bought items yesterday using NVDA with no issues

Everythings fine with latest Jaws 2018
[...]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDKPS2C/?tag=bookfreeby-20

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

No problems using the latest NVDA Alpha along with Firefox 60.
I chose Kindle Store in the dropdown box, entered a title in the Searchbox and clicked Search, and clicked on the link that matched. As expected, the page of the book contained both a Buy Now button and Add to Cart Button. I can also use One Click since I have it enabled.

On 8/14/2018 5:21 PM, Don H wrote:
Just bought items yesterday using NVDA with no issues
Everythings fine with latest Jaws 2018

inaccessible with screenreaders while on product page

[...]

Hmm, maybe FF60 works better than my newer version? 61.0.2.
I hadn't thought of trying NVDA alphas or snapshots. Thanks for that too.

[...]

Richard Wells

When I opened the link, I got this: This mobile site does not currently support the purchase of this item. Add it to your Wish List and you can view and purchase it from your computer.

On 8/14/2018 3:56 PM, Kwork wrote:
[...]

I've never had to do this on Amazon, but have you first tried setting Page Styles to None?
Alt-V, Y.

On 8/14/2018 5:56 PM, Kwork wrote:
[...]

It was a good thought, but didn't work. Thanks for trying.

[...]

Annette Moore

I see what you mean. What I had to do in order to find the buy with one click button was to tab around. It doesn't show as an actual button by hitting the letter b, and when I tried to read the current line while I was on the button, it didn't say anything, so hitting the letter b won't get you to it. You do have to tab around. My Firefox updated yesterday, so I'm just wondering if that broke something. At least that button still shows up by tabbing, so try that and se what happens. I didn't actualy click the button though, so I don't know if it works. I hope it does so you can get that book. I should find something that sounds interesting to me and grab it just to see if it does work. I don't like the way the page is laid out now at all, but at least tab is your friend.

Annette

[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

The problem exists when using the kindle unlimited program to get a book. You have to tab to the button (NVDA sees it as a button), but pressing b doesn't go to it. However, when I was sitting on it (after finding it via the tab key), I used nvda-F1 to bring up it's information, and it is clearly labeled as a button, so no clue why b doesn't navigate to it. I've also discovered the only for me to click the button is to use the route command (nvda-numpad minus) to route the nvda cursor to it, then press nvda-shift-numpad enter. (yes, I need the shift, without it, it activates an entirely different page which has ne bearing on what I'm trying to do). No idea why the shift works and w/o the shift doesn't, but there it is. That's the only I've managed to get my books into the kindle app using the web site. Interestingly enough, using safari on the Iphone doesn't have this issue.

Jackie

& actually, I think this might only be free if one has Kindle
unlimited--else it would appear that it's $2.99.

On 8/14/18, Annette Moore <angelgirl52376@...> wrote:
[...]

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

I hadn't bought a kindle book in a while. The layout they had before
was annoying... guess they upped the antee.
I didn't get anything when I clicked on buying options, just heading
like you said. Before you would get the price, then the kindle price,
then if it was a KU book it let you click on read for free, then there
was a button to buy now.
When I hit b to get next button it took me straight to the file
formats that I could cycle through. I guess it is less/more
descriptive now? I liked having stuff spelled out for me with the old
way.

On 8/14/18, Jackie <abletec@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Travis. I will file this info away because I, too, use Kindle Unlimited. I used it just the other day to grab a book and it worked just fine: the correct buttons showed in the correct places and showed as actual buttons. thank you. I wouldn't have even thought to route the NVDA cursor to the buttton because I'm not as familiar with that as I really need to be. I never used the virtual mouse cursor in System Access when I used it and rarely ever used the JAWS cursor in JAWS when I used that because I didn't really understand how it worked, but it sounds like it's time for me to learn to understand it. LOL! Thanks again.

Annette

On 8/14/2018 9:24 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:
[...]

Thanks all for your messages and thoughts. Maybe it's time to open a ticket
now that I know it's not me.
Incidentally, I tried it also on the portable ESR Firefox, one still in the
version 52 series, latest Chrome, and latest IE, and all are showing the no
numbered heading level. For me, tabbing around didn't work. I'll try
Travis's suggestions in a while.

[...]

that "buy now with one click button" shows up just as prettily as you please in System Access by hitting b, so I think I'll use that until this is fixed in NVDA. Although maybe it would be better for my bank account if I didn't. Hahaha! goes to show, though, that it's a good idea to have more than one screen reader on your computer.

Annette

On 8/14/2018 10:13 PM, Kwork wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Is it just Kindle or a global change. I'm still being bamboozled by their rubbish design of the pages in the first place with getting into the departments list randomly at times. really irritating to me.
I think half their problem is trying to do too much on one page.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Sounds like combination of dodgy page authoring and some browsers dealing with it differently. Not enough testing on Amazons part I'd imagine.
[...]

Danni

What I found to do is check the submit queery box  then spacebar insert then alt tab till it says buy it now or whatever!