From: Don H
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 10:44 AM
Subject: [nvda] using a command prompt

Is there a way to get NVDA to read what is being shown when you run
something using a command prompt or command prompt admin?

Steve Nomer

I believe the command window has been broken for some of us on Windows 10. An update occurred during the past several hours on my machine and now I cannot use the command window any longer in object mode to review the contents of the window. If reporting of dynamic changes is on in NVDA, I do hear the activity in the window, but attempts to use the navigation keys or change from screen view to object view are met with complete silence. This is not good! Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Steve

On 8/15/2018 11:56 AM, Gene wrote:

Do yu mean to automatically announce it?
Try the command NVDA f5.  It toggles between report dynamic content changes on and off.  You want it on.

Is there a way to get NVDA to read what is being shown when you run
something using a command prompt or command prompt admin?

Dan Beaver

Actually, the NVDA command for reporting dynamic changes is NVDA+5 not f5.

Dan Beaver

On 8/15/2018 1:14 PM, Steve Nomer wrote:

[...]

Oops! Forget my previous email, it was all my bad. I had Focus Moves Navigator Object set to off instead of on. Sorry for the false alarm!

Steve

On 8/15/2018 12:14 PM, Steve Nomer wrote:

I believe the command window has been broken for some of us on Windows 10. An update occurred during the past several hours on my machine and now I cannot use the command window any longer in object mode to review the contents of the window. If reporting of dynamic changes is on in NVDA, I do hear the activity in the window, but attempts to use the navigation keys or change from screen view to object view are met with complete silence. This is not good! Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Steve

On 8/15/2018 11:56 AM, Gene wrote:
Do yu mean to automatically announce it?
Try the command NVDA f5.  It toggles between report dynamic content changes on and off.  You want it on.

Is there a way to get NVDA to read what is being shown when you run
something using a command prompt or command prompt admin?

Gene

That's right, NVDA key 5.  Sorry about the error.

Is there a way to get NVDA to read what is being shown when you run
something using a command prompt or command prompt admin?

Brian's Mail list account

One of the most annoying things is that some programs seem to end up having their output spelled rather than spoken as if nvda thinks there are spaces between every character. Does anyone know why this happens sometimes? I do not see it on batch file outputs but often do if running a command line program in a batch situation. Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Is there a way to get NVDA to read what is being shown when you run
something using a command prompt or command prompt admin?

Gene

I believe I saw turning speak type characters off as the solution.  NVDA key 2 on the main keyboard toggles it off and on.

> Oops! Forget my previous email, it was all my bad. I had Focus Moves
> Navigator Object set to off instead of on. Sorry for the false alarm!
>

> Steve
>

> On 8/15/2018 12:14 PM, Steve Nomer wrote:
>>
>> I believe the command window has been broken for some of us on Windows
>> 10. An update occurred during the past several hours on my machine and
>> now I cannot use the command window any longer in object mode to
>> review the contents of the window. If reporting of dynamic changes is
>> on in NVDA, I do hear the activity in the window, but attempts to use
>> the navigation keys or change from screen view to object view are met
>> with complete silence. This is not good! Does anyone have any ideas
>> how to fix this?
>>

>> Steve
>>

>> On 8/15/2018 11:56 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> Do yu mean to automatically announce it?
>>> Try the command NVDA f5. It toggles between report dynamic content
>>> changes on and off. You want it on.
>>> Gene

Bob J

Brian,

I don't know the answer to your question about why some words are spelled out instead of pronounced as a word. My synthesizer spells out some words every time they are encountered, no matter the context. Perhaps it is a synthesizer thing.

I frequently incorporate batch files into some personal programming projects to accomplish tasks that would otherwise require me to write more code in the primary programming language.

I'm curious to know if you use batch files in a similar fashion or if you might be doing some things that I should consider for my own purposes.

Bob