Topics

Button no longer works on website after Windows update

Rick

Hello:

Overnight, my computer was updated with the latest Windows update for Windows 10 Professional. As a result, some buttons on a certain website no longer function. They worked yesterday and they do not work today and the only change I know of to my computer is the Windows update. The url is:

http://boctoastmasters.com/

I have tried both Internet Explorer 11 and the latest version of Firefox.

There are 2 buttons on this page that I can no longer activate, one labeled Member Login and another labeled Login as Site Admin. They can be quickly navigated to using the B key. However, I cannot seem to get them to perform their typical action using either the keyboard (I’ve tried Enter, Space and Shift + Enter) or routing the mouse and pressing the slash key to simulate a left mouse click.

If the button works, you will be presented with an edit box where you can begin entering your name. There have been no changes made to the website. I know this because I am one of its administrators.

I am using the latest released version of NVDA without any addins.

Rick

Gene

What happens if you are on the button, turn off browse mode, make sure you are still on the button, and try to activate it?  What happens if you leave browse mode on, route the mouse to the button, and left click the mouse?

[...]

Rick,

          Something very weird is up here.  I can't speak to what the behavior would have been before the latest cumulative update because, unfortunately, all of my machines have updated (I think, I'll check my one laptop in a bit).

          Those buttons are not recognized as even existing in browse mode and you get "No next button" announced when using the 'b' shortcut for buttons.  However, if you bring up the list of elements both are shown.  When I activate the member login button via the elements list I am presented with a notification with regard to the site using cookies that is not announced by NVDA.

           Now, what's even weirder, is that after reloading the page after that cookies notification, which a screen reader user would not know about, is presented and which makes it disappear, the 'b' command in browse mode works exactly as expected.  Still, when I activate the Member Login button I still get the "silent cookies notification" which effectively stops you dead in your tracks unless you interact with it.   If I click on the "Agree" for cookies then the member login pop-up dialog appears and NVDA begins interacting with it.

           This is all under Chrome.  The site is being really cranky about even loading for me under Firefox, and those buttons never even appear.  It's doing just fine under Chrome and Edge, so I can't explain that.

            I find it odd that the cookie policy does not appear at all until a button is activated.  These typically pop up when you land on a website that uses cookies and you have to agree before you can keep going at all.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Rick,

           As an aside I think the Firefox issue is on my computer.  There is another website I used to routinely use that just refuses to load under Firefox.  I think it's time I do a complete uninstall and reinstall on Firefox to see if that fixes things, as the usual clearing of browser cache didn't do squat.

           It loads just find on my partner's computer, which is the hardware twin of mine, under Firefox.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

In waterfox on windows 7, which also did an update today, the button does not show up. However refreshing shows the cookies message the nvda/waterfox did not get the first time and then accept allows the button to be there and interacted with. My feeling on this is that there is a display of the main page, then a display of the cookie message, but the latter is not actually seen by nvda unless you force nvda and waterfox to reload. its a bit like on some sites with google bits when the place they should be is empty, but a refresh gets them back. Sometimes the site realises and says server not available, but in this case it seems nvda or woaterfox is unaware of the overlay completely until you do something to refresh it.

It reminds me of a very very old nvda bug where at start of firefox, the page would not seem to be there unless you open and close a menu or switched away and back or refreshed the page.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

I suspect something tied to the cookie notification myself, as these are, in the grand scheme of things, a relatively recent development.  Whether the screen reader is on or off, I am not being presented with this notification when the page initially loads, and that's across machines.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Rick's question reminds me of one I've had:  How does one route the mouse pointer to where you are reading?  Thanks.

Howard

[...]

Howard,

           I'm not quite clear regarding what you mean by, "where you are reading."

           If NVDA has focus on a segment of text, and is reading it, and you stop the reading you should be able to use the NVDA command for Move mouse to current navigator object to accomplish what you say if I'm understanding you correctly.    That's NVDA+numpadDivide for desktop keyboard layout and NVDA+shift+m for laptop keyboard layout.

           Caret browsing is another option that might prove easier.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

So not even the sighted get it? That is odd. Very long ago when the BBC started adding such messages a similar issue occurred on their I player, where you could not play anything until you realised there was an invisible message to be found and all sorts of messing about had to be applied to get it to be seen. I think they have fixed it now, but at the start all sorts of problems occurred. Maybe its the office newbie who was given the job of adding it!

I did find one the other day that basically said, accept or push off we do not conform to gdpR. Not quite so blunt but almost.