Topics

groups.io will be down for maintenance this evening, starting at 9PM Pacific Time (4AM Saturday 8/18 UTC), for about two hours.

The subject says it all, but I'll repeat it here in case it gets cut off by certain e-mail clients:

groups.io will be down for maintenance this evening, starting at 9PM Pacific Time (4AM Saturday 8/18 UTC), for about two hours.

There has been a banner message to this effect up all day on the web interface, but nothing has come across on traffic on the groups themselves, which leaves e-mail users in the dark.

You can still reply to messages, but all of it will be held in a queue during the maintenance period.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Oh I see, well they certainly seem to have the ability to tell folk stuff as every account I've ever used on their lists recently got the mail about the update to the privacy policies. Lets hope this is not them making changes that might affect accessibility.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 03:09 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Lets hope this is not them making changes that might affect accessibility.
No, it isn't, at least based on the response I received.

There is no winning here, really, as someone's always going to be unhappy.  I expect outages upon occasion for maintenance but I've been in the IT business for decades and they are standard operating procedure for non-mission-critical functions, and an e-mailing list/online forum can hardly be classed as mission critical.

Mark, the owner of the site, has gotten grief before for pushing out "to every member" and even "to every group owner" messages.  For myself, I firmly believe in "to every member" messages for instances such as this, so everyone knows exactly what's going on.  Others, however, disagree vehemently.

In any case, the maintenance is over and here we are. . .

           ~ Richard Dehmel