how to force nvda not to anounce XX as twenty, LV as fifty five, etc

whenever NVDA come across something as LV CD XX XXX XXX etc will processed as numbers where I want to stop such process, how would I be able to do that?

Thanks,
William

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Which synth are you using. I've not been able to stop it in Espeak.
Its really irritating as we have an organisation here called VI Parliament which gets said as Roman 6 Parliament!

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

whenever NVDA come across something as LV CD XX XXX XXX etc will processed as numbers where I want to stop such process, how would I be able to do that?

Thanks,
William

Quentin Christensen

That is done by the synth itself.

You can use the speech dictionary to override it.  So if you want IV to be read as "I", "V" rather than 4, add a new entry and in the pattern to match, type "iv"; in the replacement field, type "i v" (put a space in between the letters, don't use quotes), and select the "Whole word" radio button.

Of course you would have to do the same for each potential combination, but if there are several which you encounter regularly then it could be worthwhile for those at least.

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 8:32 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
Which synth are you using. I've not been able to stop it in Espeak.
Its really irritating as we have an organisation here called VI Parliament which gets said as Roman 6 Parliament!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William" <cwwong.pro@...>
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 10:02 AM

Hi,

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Roman 6 parliament etc is annoying, and of course if its written with spaces, its ok.
It would be nice though if espeak, particularly could be set to ignore roman numerals completely. How often do you actually use them as such?
I guess copyright lawyers may, but nobody else unless they quote Shakespeare or are history scholars!

cwwong.pro@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 10:02 AM
Subject: [nvda] how to force nvda not to anounce XX as twenty, LV as fifty
five, etc

Hi,
whenever NVDA come across something as LV CD XX XXX XXX etc will
processed as numbers where I want to stop such process, how would I be able
to do that?

Thanks,
William

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Antony Stone

There appears to be a feature request for precisely this open since February
2016: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/issues/90

Antony.

Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 10:02 AM
fifty
five, etc

Hi,

whenever NVDA come across something as LV CD XX XXX XXX etc will
processed as numbers where I want to stop such process, how would I be
able to do that?

Thanks,
William
--
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was formed in 1824.
The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children was not formed

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Quentin.,
Ok, I am trying out what you have suggested, thanks.

Quentin Christensen 於 21/8/2018 7:59 寫道: