OnMouseOver

Jonathan COHN

Brian,

Could you please provide an example I know JAWS has keystrokes to jump to mouseover / clickable elements but was having trouble tracking down a recent issue on an non-NVDA system relating to over-verbosity of JAWS in some circumstances.

Thanks,
Jonathan Cohn

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 6:34 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Onmouseover
Importance: Low

I notice that the latest version of Jaws is now flagging these clickable elements on web sites. is this a good thing, and should nvda be doing the same?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Gene

The command to move to the next mouseover element is semicolon.

But why do you think mouseover has anything to do with oververbosity?  All that happens when you move to a mouseover element is that JAWS announces the word "mouseover" after it announces the element.  If you don't use the mouseover simulation command on the element, that's all that happens.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] OnMouseOver

Brian,

Could you please provide an example I know JAWS has keystrokes to jump to mouseover / clickable elements but was having trouble tracking down a recent issue on an non-NVDA system relating to over-verbosity of JAWS in some circumstances.

Thanks,
Jonathan Cohn
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io

I notice that the latest version of Jaws is now  flagging these clickable elements on web sites. is this a good thing, and should nvda be doing the same?
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Jonathan COHN

OK, my apologies since this is really getting off topic:

I am attempting to see if the below is still happening and if there is an issue with the code developers are using.

BEGIN Quote:

Jaws 15, 17, 18

Browser: IE11, FF 48, Chrome 54

Steps:

Issue:

Jaws reading the Quick Search tab, Advanced Search tab, circle cross close button and then reading the paragraph in the Quick search. In this paragraph

it is reading clickable after every line.

End Quote

Take care,

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 12:19 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

But why do you think mouseover has anything to do with oververbosity?  All that happens when you move to a mouseover element is that JAWS announces the word "mouseover" after it announces the element.  If you don't use the mouseover simulation command on the element, that's all that happens.

Gene

Brian,

Thanks,
Jonathan Cohn

I notice that the latest version of Jaws is now  flagging these clickable elements on web sites. is this a good thing, and should nvda be doing the same?
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Clickable is unrelated to mouseover.  A clickable item is something you can click, in keyboard terms press enter on, that is not a link, button, or other structure that is known to be clickable to the user.  It may just be text that is made clickable in some way I don't have the technical knowledge to discuss.  .  So it is identified as clickable so the user knows.

Mouseover is a link you can hover the mouse over and the page will change in some way.  Mouseover links can also be followed, with the action of a standard link being taken. 

Yu may be having a problem but whatever it is, it isn't related to mouseover.

Gene

Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 11:42 AM

I am attempting to see if the below is still happening and if there is an issue with the code developers are using.

BEGIN Quote:

Jaws 15, 17, 18

Steps:

Issue:

Jaws reading the Quick Search tab, Advanced Search tab, circle cross close button and then reading the paragraph in the Quick search. In this paragraph

End Quote

Take care,

Jonathan

Gene

Brian,

Thanks,
Jonathan Cohn

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

This was on results on the startpage search engine.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 5:07 PM

Brian,

Thanks,
Jonathan Cohn

I notice that the latest version of Jaws is now flagging these clickable elements on web sites. is this a good thing, and should nvda be doing the same?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes, often you get onmouse right onmouseleft onmouseup and onmousedown in the page scripts I've seen and most of these pages are pretty inaccessible to any screenreader without some kind of mouse slide emulation and the ability to detect what has changed, go to it while leaving the mouse where it is.
I hate them.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 7:05 PM

Clickable is unrelated to mouseover. A clickable item is something you can click, in keyboard terms press enter on, that is not a link, button, or other structure that is known to be clickable to the user. It may just be text that is made clickable in some way I don't have the technical knowledge to discuss. . So it is identified as clickable so the user knows.

Mouseover is a link you can hover the mouse over and the page will change in some way. Mouseover links can also be followed, with the action of a standard link being taken.

Yu may be having a problem but whatever it is, it isn't related to mouseover.

Gene

Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 11:42 AM

BEGIN Quote:

Jaws 15, 17, 18

Steps:

Issue:

End Quote

Take care,

Jonathan

But why do you think mouseover has anything to do with oververbosity? All that happens when you move to a mouseover element is that JAWS announces the word "mouseover" after it announces the element. If you don't use the mouseover simulation command on the element, that's all that happens.

Gene

Brian,

Thanks,
Jonathan Cohn

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.