Spell Checking With NVDA

Wilco

Hi,

I realise from a quick root around on this board that the question of how NVDA handles the spell checker in MS Word is not a new issue. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time, but since this is such a crucial issue for me I just wanted to triple check that I have understood the situation correctly.

We’re running Word 2016 at work at the moment. Am I right in thinking that NVDA will only read the different parts of the spell check dialogue if you navigate around using the object navigation commands?

With JAWS, when I go to spell check a document, JAWS will automatically say something like ‘spelling’, then announce the misspelt word, then ‘suggestions’ and then the first word in the list of suggested replacements, which is where the focus is. All this is announced automatically, without the need for any navigating around or keyboard commands. Then, if the first suggestion isn’t the one I want, I can cursor up and down and use the keyboard shortcuts for change or ignore etc.

It’s a really slick implementation of the spell checker dialogue because it means I can skip through a big document really quickly, and if the first suggestion is the one I want, which it is a lot of the time, I can just press C or I without the need to waste time navigating around and digging up what my options are for each spelling error, which feels massively clunky and time consuming by comparison.

As a professional writer, if it is correct that NVDA doesn’t offer any kind of automatic vocal feedback that summarises the spell checker dialogue as a whole, without the need to scout around using navigation keys, then this might be a deal breaker.

Cheers.

Jason White

The spelling checker in Microsoft Word is working well here in NVDA (latest Office 365 Windows installed version)

The misspelled word and original sentence are red automatically; I can then use tab to move to the suggestions. I don’t need to use object navigation at all.

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi Wilco,

Assuming you are using the latest version of Office 2016, the Spell checker has actually improved quite a bit over earlier Word 2016 implementations.  In earlier versions you did need to use object navigation to get to the misspelt word.  The way it is now, you don't need to.

If you are running a corporate operating environment, they may be locked on an older build.  If that is the case, then you may need to press NVDA+numpad4 (NVDA+shift+left arrow if using laptop keyboard layout) to move to the previous object to read the misspelt word.  That works, but I'd still push for them to update if possible.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>

I'm also a writer. I'm not familiar with object navigation, but I can tab through the spell checker dialog in Word 2013 and read everything except the misspelled word. In the list of suggestions, NVDA doesn't spell the suggested words.

For this reason, I have NVDA set to notify me of spelling mistakes. When proofreading a document, I pay attention to these and correct them on the spot. Then, I run the spell checker in case I missed anything. When I do, since I have some vision, I enlarge the text so I can more easily see my mistakes.

I've tried Jarte, a free word processing program. In that spell checker, NVDA works a lot better, since it's laid out in a menu, and even spells the misspelled word and suggestions. Unfortunately, Jarte dosn't have all the functions of Microsoft Word. I hope this is helpful.

--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com abbietaylor945@gmail.com Order my new memoir at http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com/memoir.htm

--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@gmail.com

Quentin Christensen

Hi Abbie,

To have NVDA spell the suggested word (or the misspelling, or any other word you are reading at any point), press numpad 5 twice quickly (or if using Laptop keyboard layout, press NVDA+control+. twice quickly).

Regards

Quentin.

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com abbietaylor945@... Order my new memoir at http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com/memoir.htm

--
abbietaylor945@...

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

I have always just used NVDA + the up arrow twice to spell out a word.
I use NVDA + up arrow to re-read a line ... if I hit up twice it
spells out the sentence for me. The only difference between that and
using numpad 5 is that it doesn't do it phonetically.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:10 AM, Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@gmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

That is for an entire line.  If there is only one word on what NVDA considers a line, whether it is or not, you will only hear that one word spelled.  But that isn't the read current word command.

I would suggest you consider learning the proper review commands, for read current word and read current character.  You should also learn the command in that cluster for read current line.  They are important not only because you may need them for there usual purpose, but they are essential to know if you want to select text you can't select with the application cursor.  If you are in a dialog, for example, and you want to send someone the text that describes an error to someone doing technical support.

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Spell Checking With NVDA

I have always just used NVDA + the up arrow twice to spell out a word.
I use NVDA + up arrow to re-read a line ... if I hit up twice it
spells out the sentence for me. The only difference between that and
using numpad 5 is that it doesn't do it phonetically.

> Hi Abbie,
>
> To have NVDA spell the suggested word (or the misspelling, or any other
> word you are reading at any point), press numpad 5 twice quickly (or if
> using Laptop keyboard layout, press NVDA+control+. twice quickly).
>
> Regards
>
> Quentin.
>

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:10 AM, Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm also a writer. I'm not familiar with object navigation, but I can tab
>> through the spell checker dialog in Word 2013 and read everything except
>> the misspelled word. In the list of suggestions, NVDA doesn't spell the
>> suggested words.
>>

>> For this reason, I have NVDA set to notify me of spelling mistakes. When
>> proofreading a document, I pay attention to these and correct them on the
>> spot. Then, I run the spell checker in case I missed anything. When I do,
>> since I have some vision, I enlarge the text so I can more easily see my
>> mistakes.
>>

>> I've tried Jarte, a free word processing program. In that spell checker,
>> NVDA works a lot better, since it's laid out in a menu, and even spells
>> the
>> misspelled word and suggestions. Unfortunately, Jarte dosn't have all the
>> functions of Microsoft Word. I hope this is helpful.
>>

>> --
>> Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
>> http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com abbietaylor945@... Order my new
>> memoir at http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com/memoir.htm
>>

>> --
>> Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
>> http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
>> http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
>> abbietaylor945@...
>>

> --
> Quentin Christensen
> Training and Support Manager
>
> Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available:
> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>
> www.nvaccess.org
> Twitter: @NVAccess

Wilco

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your feedback on this. The collected wisdom of this board certainly seem to be a key benefit of joining the NVDA community.

Abi, I ahdn't heard of Jarte but I will take a look. Thanks also to those who offered spellchecker advice.

Thanks again.