NVDA keeping another process open

Felix G.

Hi!
Has anyone else noticed that when NVDA is running, it seems to keep
some other processes permanently open? For example, there is a
development environment, let's call it x, which I use for creating a
software component. Strangely, when I open x and then close it again,
it stays running as a process in task manager, but as soon as I close
NVDA it also closes. I've tried with two other screen readers and they
don't affect it in this way, that is, with those running, the process
stops immediately when I close its window. So NVDA seems to do
something to certain other processes which keeps them from
terminating.
I noticed the same with Outlook 2007, by the way, which I am still
using on one machine. That also won't close as long as NVDA is
running, but as soon as I exit NVDA, Outlook closes along with it.
Other screen readers don't affect Outlook in this way.
Best,
Felix

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hmm, I've seen this with other office bits as well, like Access runtime for example.
Maybe its still hooked into the code of these older applications making windows unable to close them due to this.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Yes, something along these lines appears to be happening. With old
Office apps I can sort of understand why it might be the case, as
there are ancient COM interfaces being used, and these might force a
process to stay running as long as they are not released by the
client. But why my development environment, which doesn't get any
special treatment from NVDA?
Let's gather data on this by periodically closing everything and
checking which processes are still present, then restarting NVDA to
see how many of them this gets rid of. Once fixed, this might improve
performance significantly.
Best,
Felix
Am Do., 23. Aug. 2018 um 10:18 Uhr schrieb Brian's Mail list account
via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>:

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I see this many times with the Office Suite--in particular Microsoft Access.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Felix G." <constantlyvariable@gmail.com>

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Felix G.

Hi!
There's one thing all these programs have in common. I don't know if
this is relevant but: They all have a splash screen.
Best,
Felix