strange stuff happening with the latest version of NVDA and Windows 1803

Tony Ballou

Howdy Folks,

Not sure where to pinpoint this issue, but here's the deal.

When I try to read the list of files in my folders, NVDA simply will say
tree view and not tell me any of the folder contents.  It also doesn't
speak when I arrow through the list.

Another thing that also happens is that windows will say task switching
when I try to press alt-tab to move around the screen.  To get things to
properly function, I have to press the space bar to get it to tell me
what window I'm on. Another thing that happens is that I have to use the
f10 function key to navigate to the menus, because the alt key doesn't
work.   Does anyone have any ideas about this strange behavior.  I've
got the latest version of NVDA and windows 1803.  Thanks in advance.

Tony

Annette Moore

Hi, Tony. It's a pain in the rear, but try restarting NVDA when you encounter treeview lists that won't read. it happens with me in Explorer. when I restart NVDA, it usually corrects the issue--at least for a while anyway. Maximizing the window will also tell you on what item your cursor is placed, but again, it's a pain to arrow through and keep hitting alt+space, then x and reading the current line. Alternatively, close all of your Explorer windows and reopen them. Or go do something else for about five minutes and then return to your PC. If you get too frustrated, try another screen reader. These are the things I've done to deal with this problem. I keep hoping with each Windows update or NVDA update that the issue will be corrected, but so far it hasn't been. It isn't a deal breaker. there's something in another screen reader that drives me even more bonkers, and that's how the insert key randomly stops working. At least it doesn't do that in NVDA. I can live with the treeview lists not reading because I can always restart NVDA, but when the insert key quits working, I can't restart the other screen reader because that's one of the keys used to restart it. Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful for you. Take care.

Annette

On 8/22/2018 6:55 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
Howdy Folks,

Not sure where to pinpoint this issue, but here's the deal.

When I try to read the list of files in my folders, NVDA simply will say
tree view and not tell me any of the folder contents.  It also doesn't
speak when I arrow through the list.

Another thing that also happens is that windows will say task switching
when I try to press alt-tab to move around the screen.  To get things to
properly function, I have to press the space bar to get it to tell me
what window I'm on. Another thing that happens is that I have to use the
f10 function key to navigate to the menus, because the alt key doesn't
work.   Does anyone have any ideas about this strange behavior.  I've
got the latest version of NVDA and windows 1803.  Thanks in advance.

Tony

Tony Ballou

Hi Annette,

Thanks, I know I'm not alone now.  I've done all of the tricks in the
arsenal that you mentioned and I still find myself playing the game, of
where's the file,and why can't ya read it sighs. This is totally weird.
Hope we can find some solution for this madness.  If even does it with
the Microsoft Narrator also. And when it works properly, it only does it
for about 5 minutes.

Tony

On 8/22/2018 8:39 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
[...]

Gene

I assume you are talking about JAWS.  You should be able to restart JAWS if you don't have it displayed in the system tray and have it displayed as a window in the tab order.  You can move into that window and close JAWS with alt f4.

There may be a way to close JAWS while running it from the system tray but I don't know it.  Others may.

Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] strange stuff happening with the latest version of NVDA and Windows 1803

Hi, Tony. It's a pain in the rear, but try restarting NVDA when you
encounter treeview lists that won't read. it happens with me in
Explorer. when I restart NVDA, it usually corrects the issue--at least
for a while anyway. Maximizing the window will also tell you on what
item your cursor is placed, but again, it's a pain to arrow through and
keep hitting alt+space, then x and reading the current line.
Alternatively, close all of your Explorer windows and reopen them. Or go
do something else for about five minutes and then return to your PC. If
you get too frustrated, try another screen reader. These are the things
I've done to deal with this problem. I keep hoping with each Windows
update or NVDA update that the issue will be corrected, but so far it
hasn't been. It isn't a deal breaker. there's something in another
screen reader that drives me even more bonkers, and that's how the
insert key randomly stops working. At least it doesn't do that in NVDA.
I can live with the treeview lists not reading because I can always
restart NVDA, but when the insert key quits working, I can't restart the
other screen reader because that's one of the keys used to restart it.
Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful for you. Take care.

Annette

On 8/22/2018 6:55 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
> Howdy Folks,
>

> Not sure where to pinpoint this issue, but here's the deal.
>

> When I try to read the list of files in my folders, NVDA simply will say
> tree view and not tell me any of the folder contents.  It also doesn't
> speak when I arrow through the list.
>

> Another thing that also happens is that windows will say task switching
> when I try to press alt-tab to move around the screen.  To get things to
> properly function, I have to press the space bar to get it to tell me
> what window I'm on. Another thing that happens is that I have to use the
> f10 function key to navigate to the menus, because the alt key doesn't
> work.   Does anyone have any ideas about this strange behavior.  I've
> got the latest version of NVDA and windows 1803.  Thanks in advance.
>

> Tony

Annette Moore

*nods* Yep, exactly, Tony! that's precisely how it works with me. After about five minutes, all is well again for a time. It's horrible with Dropbox, especially when I've copied and pasted something somewhere. Then I do just go ahead and restart NVDA.

Annette

On 8/22/2018 10:08 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
[...]

Nope, System Access. I haven't used JAWS in years.

Annette

Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:39 PM

Hi, Tony. It's a pain in the rear, but try restarting NVDA when you
encounter treeview lists that won't read. it happens with me in
Explorer. when I restart NVDA, it usually corrects the issue--at least
for a while anyway. Maximizing the window will also tell you on what
item your cursor is placed, but again, it's a pain to arrow through and
keep hitting alt+space, then x and reading the current line.
Alternatively, close all of your Explorer windows and reopen them. Or go
do something else for about five minutes and then return to your PC. If
you get too frustrated, try another screen reader. These are the things
I've done to deal with this problem. I keep hoping with each Windows
update or NVDA update that the issue will be corrected, but so far it
hasn't been. It isn't a deal breaker. there's something in another
screen reader that drives me even more bonkers, and that's how the
insert key randomly stops working. At least it doesn't do that in NVDA.
I can live with the treeview lists not reading because I can always
restart NVDA, but when the insert key quits working, I can't restart the
other screen reader because that's one of the keys used to restart it.
Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful for you. Take care.

Annette

On 8/22/2018 6:55 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
> Howdy Folks,
>

> Not sure where to pinpoint this issue, but here's the deal.
>

> When I try to read the list of files in my folders, NVDA simply will say
> tree view and not tell me any of the folder contents.  It also doesn't
> speak when I arrow through the list.
>

> Another thing that also happens is that windows will say task switching
> when I try to press alt-tab to move around the screen.  To get things to
> properly function, I have to press the space bar to get it to tell me
> what window I'm on. Another thing that happens is that I have to use the
> f10 function key to navigate to the menus, because the alt key doesn't
> work.   Does anyone have any ideas about this strange behavior.  I've
> got the latest version of NVDA and windows 1803.  Thanks in advance.
>

> Tony

Gene

I haven't used System Access much but you should be able to shut it down from the task manager.  Aside from that, my recollection is that you are correct.  As far as I know, it doesn't display itself either in the system tray or in a window in the tab order.  It probably should have an option to allow the user to choose these options if desired.

Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:39 PM

Hi, Tony. It's a pain in the rear, but try restarting NVDA when you
encounter treeview lists that won't read. it happens with me in
Explorer. when I restart NVDA, it usually corrects the issue--at least
for a while anyway. Maximizing the window will also tell you on what
item your cursor is placed, but again, it's a pain to arrow through and
keep hitting alt+space, then x and reading the current line.
Alternatively, close all of your Explorer windows and reopen them. Or go
do something else for about five minutes and then return to your PC. If
you get too frustrated, try another screen reader. These are the things
I've done to deal with this problem. I keep hoping with each Windows
update or NVDA update that the issue will be corrected, but so far it
hasn't been. It isn't a deal breaker. there's something in another
screen reader that drives me even more bonkers, and that's how the
insert key randomly stops working. At least it doesn't do that in NVDA.
I can live with the treeview lists not reading because I can always
restart NVDA, but when the insert key quits working, I can't restart the
other screen reader because that's one of the keys used to restart it.
Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful for you. Take care.

Annette

On 8/22/2018 6:55 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
> Howdy Folks,
>

> Not sure where to pinpoint this issue, but here's the deal.
>

> When I try to read the list of files in my folders, NVDA simply will say
> tree view and not tell me any of the folder contents.  It also doesn't
> speak when I arrow through the list.
>

> Another thing that also happens is that windows will say task switching
> when I try to press alt-tab to move around the screen.  To get things to
> properly function, I have to press the space bar to get it to tell me
> what window I'm on. Another thing that happens is that I have to use the
> f10 function key to navigate to the menus, because the alt key doesn't
> work.   Does anyone have any ideas about this strange behavior.  I've
> got the latest version of NVDA and windows 1803.  Thanks in advance.
>

> Tony

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I am wondering if there is a way to close jaws using a command line switch. I have a batch file that closes nvda and opens jaws, but without the command I cannot go the other way.
However I'm not happy about people having this issue with nvda If several people have this and it can be duplicated, then please raise an issue for it, as otherwise if its quite rare it won't get looked into.

I suppose something in windows itself has not been set up strangely? Not a regular user of 10, but I cannot say I've ever come across behaviour you describe unless using a portable version of nvda and even then not as severe.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

I have the same issues as you have, Tony. I went so far as to buy another computer and I got exactly the same behavior on that one as I did on two others. I get the behaviors you described on two Toshiba Satellites and an HP Elitebook. The Toshibas run windows 10 home 1803. The HP runs windows 10 professional 1803.

I am restarting nvda every 5 to 15 minutes and refreshing the screens with nvda f5 almost every time I alt tab to another task.

It pains me to say this, but in many cases these days, Narrator works better than nvda. I often have to start narrator to find out where I am and what is giving nvda a belly ache this time.

Regards,
George

Not sure where to pinpoint this issue, but here's the deal.

When I try to read the list of files in my folders, NVDA simply will say
tree view and not tell me any of the folder contents. It also doesn't
speak when I arrow through the list.

Another thing that also happens is that windows will say task switching
when I try to press alt-tab to move around the screen. To get things to
properly function, I have to press the space bar to get it to tell me
what window I'm on. Another thing that happens is that I have to use the
f10 function key to navigate to the menus, because the alt key doesn't
work. Does anyone have any ideas about this strange behavior. I've
got the latest version of NVDA and windows 1803. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Jason White

I'm running Windows 10 1803 on a laptop, which is not exhibiting any of these issues. However, it's a fresh install of Windows.

At this point I would suggest running sfc /scannow to detect and attempt to correct any corrupted operating system files. It may be worth reinstalling NVDA just to be sure, although I have no evidence that this is likely to help. If you can't correct the issue, then back up all important data, use the Media Creation tool to create a Windows installation image on a USB flash drive, then run setup.exe on that drive and choose to keep applications and personal settings when prompted. It should reinstall Windows over the top of your existing installation. The backup is essential in case anything goes wrong.

I expect the pain will come my way too at some point. By way of comparison, I've never had to reinstall the operating system on my Mac, and rarely had to do it on Linux in the two decades or so over which I've used it.

On 8/22/18, 23:08, "Tony Ballou" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of cyberpro224@outlook.com> wrote:

Hi Annette,

Thanks, I know I'm not alone now. I've done all of the tricks in the
arsenal that you mentioned and I still find myself playing the game, of
where's the file,and why can't ya read it sighs. This is totally weird.
Hope we can find some solution for this madness. If even does it with
the Microsoft Narrator also. And when it works properly, it only does it
for about 5 minutes.

Tony

On 8/22/2018 8:39 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
> Hi, Tony. It's a pain in the rear, but try restarting NVDA when you
> encounter treeview lists that won't read. it happens with me in
> Explorer. when I restart NVDA, it usually corrects the issue--at least
> for a while anyway. Maximizing the window will also tell you on what
> item your cursor is placed, but again, it's a pain to arrow through
> and keep hitting alt+space, then x and reading the current line.
> Alternatively, close all of your Explorer windows and reopen them. Or
> go do something else for about five minutes and then return to your
> PC. If you get too frustrated, try another screen reader. These are
> the things I've done to deal with this problem. I keep hoping with
> each Windows update or NVDA update that the issue will be corrected,
> but so far it hasn't been. It isn't a deal breaker. there's something
> in another screen reader that drives me even more bonkers, and that's
> how the insert key randomly stops working. At least it doesn't do that
> in NVDA. I can live with the treeview lists not reading because I can
> always restart NVDA, but when the insert key quits working, I can't
> restart the other screen reader because that's one of the keys used to
> restart it. Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful for you. Take care.
>
> Annette
>

> On 8/22/2018 6:55 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
>> Howdy Folks,
>>

>> Not sure where to pinpoint this issue, but here's the deal.
>>

>> When I try to read the list of files in my folders, NVDA simply will say
>> tree view and not tell me any of the folder contents. It also doesn't
>> speak when I arrow through the list.
>>

>> Another thing that also happens is that windows will say task switching
>> when I try to press alt-tab to move around the screen. To get things to
>> properly function, I have to press the space bar to get it to tell me
>> what window I'm on. Another thing that happens is that I have to use the
>> f10 function key to navigate to the menus, because the alt key doesn't
>> work. Does anyone have any ideas about this strange behavior. I've
>> got the latest version of NVDA and windows 1803. Thanks in advance.
>>

>> Tony

Pranav Lal

Hi George and all,

Try changing the windows theme if you have not already done so.

Pranav

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

What theme should we use?

George

On 8/27/2018 7:08 PM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi George and all,

Try changing the windows theme if you have not already done so.

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi George,

On my computer, the background is set to harmony and the color is set to its defaults.

I have not made any changes to the theme.

Pranav

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

Thanks Pranav.  All my systems are set up the same way as yours and they all perform badly with nvda.

George

On 8/28/2018 7:21 PM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi George,

On my computer, the background is set to harmony and the color is set to its defaults.

I have not made any changes to the theme.

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi George,

Ok, have you checked the task bar settings in the settings applet? I have the task bar to hide automatically in desktop and tablet mode. IN addition, I have told widows 10 to never combine task bar buttons.

Pranab