From: "Kwork" <istherelife@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 8:33 AM
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 and email

I imagine I'll get more than one opinion here, but what do people use in
Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out of the
box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps, etc. Thanks
for any help!

I use thunderbird 60.

If you want something thats fully accessible and need addons 52.9.1 is the last version of thunderbird that mozilla has before it switched over to the 60x and higher series.

One word of warning though, according to the main thunderbird website that version is never going to get updated again so its going to eventually probably expire probably.

If you don't need addons at all, then the quantom interface for thunderbird works well enough as long as you set messages to open in the same window and turn off tabbed brousing in settings as well as set the home page to inbox.

You may or may not need sighted help to turn off the lightning addon for calendar.

Last time I set it up it did itself.

On 8/23/2018 7:33 PM, Kwork wrote:
I imagine I'll get more than one opinion here, but what do people use in
Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out of the
box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps, etc. Thanks
for any help!

Ervin, Glenn

I haven't been happy with Thunderbird on my windows 7 computer, it seemed too much, I just wanted something like Outlook Express, so when I set up a client's computer to use OE, and the windows 10 update removed it on its own, I set his computer to use the default windows mail program.
It is pretty good, but it seems much less configurable than OE.
For example, I could not find a way to change the order of messages to have the newest at the bottom.
Glenn

[...]

Gene

Why did it seem like too much?  I think that it seemed that way because it either wasn't configured for the most convenient operation or you didn't know a command or two to make its operation easier.  Once I had the program properly configured, I found it similar in terms of the common operations, reading mail, replying to mail, and the other very common tasks to Outlook Express.

Also, there is an add on, I believe it's a Thunderbird add-on, that allows first letter navigation in the folders list.  I don't use Thunderbird but I tried it, however, I don't remember details to discuss the matter further in terms of just how you set things up.

If you want something thats fully accessible and need addons 52.9.1 is the last version of thunderbird that mozilla has before it switched over to the 60x and higher series.

One word of warning though, according to the main thunderbird website that version is never going to get updated again so its going to eventually probably expire probably.

If you don't need addons at all, then the quantom interface for thunderbird works well enough as long as you set messages to open in the same window and turn off tabbed brousing in settings as well as set the home page to inbox.

You may or may not need sighted help to turn off the lightning addon for calendar.

Last time I set it up it did itself.

On 8/23/2018 7:33 PM, Kwork wrote:
> I imagine I'll get more than one opinion here, but what do people use
> in Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out
> of the box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps,
> etc. Thanks for any help!

Sarah k Alawami

I use gmail.com and the basic html view. Works here. I don’t use nor like any email programs on windows.

Take care

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:46 AM, Gene wrote:
Also, there is an add on, I believe it's a Thunderbird add-on, that allows first letter navigation in the folders list.
There is, and I routinely install it for all of my blind or vision impaired clients who choose Thunderbird.  I posted about it, at length, here:

                     https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/59771

and on the NVDA group, too.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:
For example, I could not find a way to change the order of messages to have the newest at the bottom.
Like any e-mail client I've ever worked with, this is nothing more than a "click"/activate on the column heading, typically, to set the column used to sort and to reverse the sort order on said column from ascending to descending or vice versa.

Many people still like Windows Live Mail 2012, which is the thing most like Outlook Express, but it's no longer officially supported but does work just fine for POP or IMAP access.  I archived the last Microsoft Essentials 2012 installer, which allows you to pick from among the "essentials" to get only the one or ones you want, about a week before it was pulled from Microsoft's download pages.  You can snag it from my Google Drive, Microsoft Essentials 2012, in ZIP format if you want it.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

As an aside to this conversation, for those who would like to use Outlook 2016, it's now far cheaper, and completely legal, to get "recycled" licenses for Office 2016.

There was some change to the laws in the EU that have made it illegal for Microsoft to tie the license for Office to a single machine literally, and if that single machine is being tossed out it is legal for its owner to extract the Office license for use on another.   Well, this has resulted in a cottage industry of computer geeks buying up mass quantities of computers being junked and extracting and reselling the licenses.

I have just upgraded 4 computers in my household from Office 2010 to Office 2016 (actually, I've got both running side by side, just in case I want to do something in 2010), and each Office 2016 Pro Plus license was purchased on eBay for under $10, and they all activated just fine.  I just paid attention to the seller's reputation when purchasing.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Hans <lasthans@...>

Hans Last
Email; lasthans@...
Skype: hanslast
Twitter: hlast
Instagram: http://instagram.com/hlast
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hlast

Hans,

           Your message contained nothing but your signature.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Jason White

Microsoft Outlook (the Windows version from Office 365, monthly channel) – it works very well with NVDA in my experience.