Windows 10 and email

Kwork

I imagine I'll get more than one opinion here, but what do people use in Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out of the box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps, etc. Thanks for any help!

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Personally though i do not use it myself for either 7 or 10, due to the tree structure making my life too complex, I'd always go with tbird as it has sensible rules and can also do newsgroups as well, which despite rumours about its demise it is still there.
The email app in Windows looks to me like some kind of afterthought. It just does emails needs to be watched as Microsoft tend to break accessibility every time they bring out an update and it has no rules or anything useful about it in my view.
Outlook works, but recently there have been issues with the latest versions in office.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 8:33 AM
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 and email

I imagine I'll get more than one opinion here, but what do people use in
Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out of the
box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps, etc. Thanks
for any help!

I use thunderbird 60.

If you want something thats fully accessible and need addons 52.9.1 is the last version of thunderbird that mozilla has before it switched over to the 60x and higher series.

One word of warning though, according to the main thunderbird website that version is never going to get updated again so its going to eventually probably expire probably.

If you don't need addons at all, then the quantom interface for thunderbird works well enough as long as you set messages to open in the same window and turn off tabbed brousing in settings as well as set the home page to inbox.

You may or may not need sighted help to turn off the lightning addon for calendar.

Last time I set it up it did itself.

On 8/23/2018 7:33 PM, Kwork wrote:
I imagine I'll get more than one opinion here, but what do people use in
Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out of the
box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps, etc. Thanks
for any help!

Ervin, Glenn

I haven't been happy with Thunderbird on my windows 7 computer, it seemed too much, I just wanted something like Outlook Express, so when I set up a client's computer to use OE, and the windows 10 update removed it on its own, I set his computer to use the default windows mail program.
It is pretty good, but it seems much less configurable than OE.
For example, I could not find a way to change the order of messages to have the newest at the bottom.
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 5:03 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 and email

I use thunderbird 60.

If you want something thats fully accessible and need addons 52.9.1 is the last version of thunderbird that mozilla has before it switched over to the 60x and higher series.

One word of warning though, according to the main thunderbird website that version is never going to get updated again so its going to eventually probably expire probably.

If you don't need addons at all, then the quantom interface for thunderbird works well enough as long as you set messages to open in the same window and turn off tabbed brousing in settings as well as set the home page to inbox.

You may or may not need sighted help to turn off the lightning addon for calendar.

I imagine I'll get more than one opinion here, but what do people use
in Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out
of the box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps,
etc. Thanks for any help!

Gene

Why did it seem like too much?  I think that it seemed that way because it either wasn't configured for the most convenient operation or you didn't know a command or two to make its operation easier.  Once I had the program properly configured, I found it similar in terms of the common operations, reading mail, replying to mail, and the other very common tasks to Outlook Express. 

Also, there is an add on, I believe it's a Thunderbird add-on, that allows first letter navigation in the folders list.  I don't use Thunderbird but I tried it, however, I don't remember details to discuss the matter further in terms of just how you set things up. 

Gene

Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 9:38 AM

I haven't been happy with Thunderbird on my windows 7 computer, it seemed too much, I just wanted something like Outlook Express, so when I set up a client's computer to use OE, and the windows 10 update removed it on its own, I set his computer to use the default windows mail program.
For example, I could not find a way to change the order of messages to have the newest at the bottom.
Glenn

I use thunderbird 60.

> I imagine I'll get more than one opinion here, but what do people use
> in Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out
> of the box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps,
> etc. Thanks for any help!
>
>
>
>

Sarah k Alawami

I use gmail.com and the basic html view. Works here. I don’t use nor like any email programs on windows.

Take care

On 23 Aug 2018, at 0:33, Kwork wrote:

I imagine I'll get more than one opinion here, but what do people use in Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out of the box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps, etc. Thanks for any help!

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:46 AM, Gene wrote:
Also, there is an add on, I believe it's a Thunderbird add-on, that allows first letter navigation in the folders list.
There is, and I routinely install it for all of my blind or vision impaired clients who choose Thunderbird.  I posted about it, at length, here:

https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/59771 

and on the NVDA group, too.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for all humankind.

~ Richard Dehmel

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:
Like any e-mail client I've ever worked with, this is nothing more than a "click"/activate on the column heading, typically, to set the column used to sort and to reverse the sort order on said column from ascending to descending or vice versa.

Many people still like Windows Live Mail 2012, which is the thing most like Outlook Express, but it's no longer officially supported but does work just fine for POP or IMAP access.  I archived the last Microsoft Essentials 2012 installer, which allows you to pick from among the "essentials" to get only the one or ones you want, about a week before it was pulled from Microsoft's download pages.  You can snag it from my Google Drive, Microsoft Essentials 2012, in ZIP format if you want it.

--

A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for all humankind.

~ Richard Dehmel

As an aside to this conversation, for those who would like to use Outlook 2016, it's now far cheaper, and completely legal, to get "recycled" licenses for Office 2016.

There was some change to the laws in the EU that have made it illegal for Microsoft to tie the license for Office to a single machine literally, and if that single machine is being tossed out it is legal for its owner to extract the Office license for use on another.   Well, this has resulted in a cottage industry of computer geeks buying up mass quantities of computers being junked and extracting and reselling the licenses.

I have just upgraded 4 computers in my household from Office 2010 to Office 2016 (actually, I've got both running side by side, just in case I want to do something in 2010), and each Office 2016 Pro Plus license was purchased on eBay for under $10, and they all activated just fine.  I just paid attention to the seller's reputation when purchasing.
--

~ Richard Dehmel

Hans <lasthans@...>

Hans Last
Email; lasthans@...
Twitter: hlast
Instagram: http://instagram.com/hlast
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hlast

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Hans,

Your message contained nothing but your signature.
--

~ Richard Dehmel

Jason White

Microsoft Outlook (the Windows version from Office 365, monthly channel) – it works very well with NVDA in my experience.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kwork
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 3:33 AM
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 and email

Hans <lasthans@...>

Hi,
Appologies forthe blankmessage, but I was answering the question about Windows 10 Email clients.
I started using the windows 10 mail app, after Windows Live Mail started acting up, showing messages of Not Responding when trying to open a message.  I’m on a windows 7 computer at the moment so that’s not an issue here.

Hans Last
Email; lasthans@...

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Ervin, Glenn

I use Office 2000 at home on my 7 machine, and I had on my friend’s Windows 10, but when it updated, it quit working.

I prefer 2000.

I hate the ribbon stuff.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 10:26 AM

As an aside to this conversation, for those who would like to use Outlook 2016, it's now far cheaper, and completely legal, to get "recycled" licenses for Office 2016.

There was some change to the laws in the EU that have made it illegal for Microsoft to tie the license for Office to a single machine literally, and if that single machine is being tossed out it is legal for its owner to extract the Office license for use on another.   Well, this has resulted in a cottage industry of computer geeks buying up mass quantities of computers being junked and extracting and reselling the licenses.

I have just upgraded 4 computers in my household from Office 2010 to Office 2016 (actually, I've got both running side by side, just in case I want to do something in 2010), and each Office 2016 Pro Plus license was purchased on eBay for under $10, and they all activated just fine.  I just paid attention to the seller's reputation when purchasing.
--

~ Richard Dehmel

No there is a hacked version of Outlook express but every time 10 does a large update it removes it, so you need to back it all up before you update 10, and then reinstall and put the messages and wab files back again. At least in Windows 7 it works. It costs for a key though as it uses a bit of extra code to deal with the different mailto code and html display code in the later windows.
Quite why after spending time getting OE to actually work with access tech, they did not fix it themselves and offer it as an alternative eludes me, the same with live mail, though I never did like it as it had no identities option.
That is something I really need to keep my charity and real life apart as much as possible!

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 3:38 PM

Glenn

I use thunderbird 60.

in Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out
of the box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps,
etc. Thanks for any help!

Well maybe you should be a Jaws user then.. grin.
However I seem to recall that there are programs to convert menus, but each time windows updates it needs to be reinstalled, and I am not sure if the office one still will work. Office 2019is about I notice. What is new there I wonder. I am still using office 2003 and 2 with nvda as far as word is concerned.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 8:00 PM

I use Office 2000 at home on my 7 machine, and I had on my friend’s Windows 10, but when it updated, it quit working.
I prefer 2000.
I hate the ribbon stuff.
Glenn

There was some change to the laws in the EU that have made it illegal for Microsoft to tie the license for Office to a single machine literally, and if that single machine is being tossed out it is legal for its owner to extract the Office license for use on another. Well, this has resulted in a cottage industry of computer geeks buying up mass quantities of computers being junked and extracting and reselling the licenses.

I have just upgraded 4 computers in my household from Office 2010 to Office 2016 (actually, I've got both running side by side, just in case I want to do something in 2010), and each Office 2016 Pro Plus license was purchased on eBay for under $10, and they all activated just fine. I just paid attention to the seller's reputation when purchasing.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

~ Richard Dehmel

I was under the impression that google had just made its email online full of rubbish and almost unusable. I think I'd use gmail if I only had gmail accounts, but I don't and attempting to use different web interfaces for different providers did my head in so I use pop3 mostly with Imap when I need to see the spam folder.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 4:08 PM

I use gmail.com and the basic html view. Works here. I don’t use nor
like any email programs on windows.

Take care

On 23 Aug 2018, at 0:33, Kwork wrote:

in
Windows 10 for email? Other questions would include, accessible out of
the
box, and if not, what needs to happen, additional tweaks, apps, etc.
Thanks
for any help!

My main gripe with the 10 mail client is that its really poor on features. If it has message sorting rules, I could not find them, and it does not appear to do usenet either, which i still use.
It has its own way of dealing with email addresses, completely unlike most other email clients.
It does not seem to have identities and 6 email accounts in a tree view does my head in.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 5:41 PM

Hi,
Appologies forthe blankmessage, but I was answering the question about Windows 10 Email clients.
I started using the windows 10 mail app, after Windows Live Mail started acting up, showing messages of Not Responding when trying to open a message. I’m on a windows 7 computer at the moment so that’s not an issue here.

Hans Last
Email; lasthans@gmail.com

Ervin, Glenn

I do use Jaws primarily.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 2:38 PM

Well maybe you should be a Jaws user then.. grin.
However I seem to recall that there are programs to convert menus, but each time windows updates it needs to be reinstalled, and I am not sure if the office one still will work. Office 2019is about I notice. What is new there I wonder. I am still using office 2003 and 2 with nvda as far as word is concerned.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 8:00 PM

I use Office 2000 at home on my 7 machine, and I had on my friend’s Windows
10, but when it updated, it quit working.
I prefer 2000.
I hate the ribbon stuff.
Glenn

As an aside to this conversation, for those who would like to use Outlook
2016, it's now far cheaper, and completely legal, to get "recycled"
licenses for Office 2016.

There was some change to the laws in the EU that have made it illegal for
Microsoft to tie the license for Office to a single machine literally, and
if that single machine is being tossed out it is legal for its owner to
extract the Office license for use on another. Well, this has resulted
in a cottage industry of computer geeks buying up mass quantities of
computers being junked and extracting and reselling the licenses.

I have just upgraded 4 computers in my household from Office 2010 to
Office 2016 (actually, I've got both running side by side, just in case I
want to do something in 2010), and each Office 2016 Pro Plus license was
purchased on eBay for under $10, and they all activated just fine. I just
paid attention to the seller's reputation when purchasing.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for
all humankind.

~ Richard Dehmel

Ervin, Glenn

That is what I was noticing about it too, but this guy just wants to read and reply, and it seems to be working for him, and he is an hour and a half away, and he has to mail his laptop to me, so when changes need to be made, it is not too often.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 2:44 PM

My main gripe with the 10 mail client is that its really poor on features.
If it has message sorting rules, I could not find them, and it does not appear to do usenet either, which i still use.
It has its own way of dealing with email addresses, completely unlike most other email clients.
It does not seem to have identities and 6 email accounts in a tree view does my head in.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 5:41 PM

Hi,
Appologies forthe blankmessage, but I was answering the question about
Windows 10 Email clients.
I started using the windows 10 mail app, after Windows Live Mail started
acting up, showing messages of Not Responding when trying to open a message.
I’m on a windows 7 computer at the moment so that’s not an issue here.

Hans Last
Email; lasthans@gmail.com