downloding MP3 FILES

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

hi group
which is the best and most accessible program for windows pc to downlode mp3 files using NVDA?
thank u

kerryn

Chris

From which source are you downloading from?

Sent: 24 August 2018 18:44
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] downloding MP3 FILES

hi group

which is the best and most accessible program for windows pc to downlode mp3 files using NVDA?

thank u

kerryn

Gene

Are you asking about a program to download from somewhere like Youtube?

Gene

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 12:44 PM

hi group
thank u

kerryn

youtube

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] downloding MP3 FILES

hi group

thank u

kerryn

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I don't get the question. I use the normal downloader in the browser just like downloading any file.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

From: "Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io" <k_gunness=yahoo.ca@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 6:44 PM

hi group
thank u

kerryn

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

If you want to turn YouTube videos into MP3 files, then you want a free program called Pontes Media Downloader.  The act of downloading MP3 files found on a standard web page is not influenced by the screen reader.  It can, as I understand, be slightly affected by the choice of browser.  I use Chrome, but for any browser, the most predictable way to download an mp3 file is to focus on the link, hit the application key, and choose the relevant action, whose name varies from browser to browser.  In Chrome, it is Save Link As, in Internet Explorer, Save Target As. 

Thought-provoking reading: http://bahaiteachings.org

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 2:28 PM

youtube

hi group

thank u

kerryn

thank u deen, brian and others

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 5:08 PM

If you want to turn YouTube videos into MP3 files, then you want a free program called Pontes Media Downloader.  The act of downloading MP3 files found on a standard web page is not influenced by the screen reader.  It can, as I understand, be slightly affected by the choice of browser.  I use Chrome, but for any browser, the most predictable way to download an mp3 file is to focus on the link, hit the application key, and choose the relevant action, whose name varies from browser to browser.  In Chrome, it is Save Link As, in Internet Explorer, Save Target As. 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 2:28 PM

youtube

hi group

thank u

kerryn

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>

If you're downloading an mp3 file from the web, Firefox and Internet Explorer work better because they give you the option to either open or save the file. Today, I tried downloading an mp3 file with Google Chrome, but instead of giving me a choice, it opened the file and started playing it, and I couldn't find an option to download it. Fortunately, the link to the file was in Thunderbird, so I was able to open the context menu and download the file using the "save as" option. I hope this helps.

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
abbietaylor945@gmail.com
Order my new memoir at http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com/memoir.htm

--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@gmail.com

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

For the record, I download mp3 files using Chrome all the time, using the method described previouslyÑ make sure the system focus is on the link, press the application key and choose Save Link As. When it doesn't work, either I haven't placed the system focus on the link, or the page doesn't allow it, which sometimes happens.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Abbie Taylor
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 8:25 PM

If you're downloading an mp3 file from the web, Firefox and Internet Explorer work better because they give you the option to either open or save the file. Today, I tried downloading an mp3 file with Google Chrome, but instead of giving me a choice, it opened the file and started playing it, and I couldn't find an option to download it. Fortunately, the link to the file was in Thunderbird, so I was able to open the context menu and download the file using the "save as" option. I hope this helps.

abbietaylor945@gmail.com

--
abbietaylor945@gmail.com

Kevin <kleeva5@...>

I use GoldWave to record songs, that way I can listen to the song as I rrecord it.  Also you don’t get any virus or trash that is in the music information such as author, extra url of ads etc…

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 10:44 AM

hi group

thank u

kerryn

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Using “what you hear” or whatever it’s called in Goldwave is definitely a neat trick and can certainly be really helpful.

You can’t really get a virus from an mp3 though.

The OP asked for a programme so I assumed he wasn’t talking about a web browser. Surprised noone’s mentioned Soulseek yet, so I’ll mention it now. Unfortunately the QT version, the only one being updated, doesn’t seem very accessible from my standpoint, although apparently some people have gotten it to work with NVDA…

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin
Sent: August 24, 2018 9:08 PM

I use GoldWave to record songs, that way I can listen to the song as I rrecord it.  Also you don’t get any virus or trash that is in the music information such as author, extra url of ads etc…

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

hi group

thank u

kerryn

Gene

I don't know if there is a setting for controling whether such files play in Chrome but whenever a file starts to play in Chrome, in Firefox, and I don't know about Internet Explorer, you can save it in the following way,:
It doesn't matter if the file is playing or if you have found a pause buttonin the embedded player interface, you can use the command control s for save.  A typical save as dialog will come up.  Use it to save the file.

Gene
----- Original message -----
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 7:25 PM

abbietaylor945@...

--
abbietaylor945@...

Kevin <kleeva5@...>

It’s called WASAPI,, record the sound your speakers outputs

It is possible to get a virus or malware downloading fron youtube

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 6:17 PM

Using “what you hear” or whatever it’s called in Goldwave is definitely a neat trick and can certainly be really helpful.

The OP asked for a programme so I assumed he wasn’t talking about a web browser. Surprised noone’s mentioned Soulseek yet, so I’ll mention it now. Unfortunately the QT version, the only one being updated, doesn’t seem very accessible from my standpoint, although apparently some people have gotten it to work with NVDA…

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

hi group

thank u

kerryn

Gene

You are assuming that you can get viruses or ads if you download from Youtube using a download program.  I really doubt it.  First, the actual file is downloaded.  Then the program converts it into the MP3 format and saves it with the name of the file.  No ads are downloaded.  I don't know if it's possible for the original file to be infected but if it is, the infection isn't going to be carried over in the conversion process.  The file is converted.  NonMP3 information won't be converted.  It isn't something the converter would recognize as convertible. 

If you don't like the name, you can change it as you change the name of any file.  If you don't download much, saving a file while it plays may be fine.  If you download more than a small amount, it isn't. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 8:07 PM

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

hi group

thank u

kerryn

Gene

You said it is possible to get a virus or malware downloading from Youtube.  Do you mean possible or impossible?  For that matter, if you would be infected by downloading, which I really doubt, why couldn't you be infected by playing the file from the site?  For reasons I stated in my previous message, I really doubt you can be infected by downloading from Youtube.

Gene

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 8:34 PM

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

hi group

thank u

kerryn

Nika Tsiklauri

You can not get infected by downloading mp3 file from youtube. However to be extra safe, I would scan the full pc with good anti virus program.

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

Hi, it's probably not possible to get a virus downloading from Youtube itself. It may be possible though, depending on the converter you're using to download/convert the video to mp3 format.

On 8/24/2018 7:25 PM, Gene wrote:
You said it is possible to get a virus or malware downloading from Youtube.  Do you mean possible or impossible?  For that matter, if you would be infected by downloading, which I really doubt, why couldn't you be infected by playing the file from the site?  For reasons I stated in my previous message, I really doubt you can be infected by downloading from Youtube.

Gene

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

hi group

thank u

kerryn

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Several years ago, there was a bug in some mp3 players that would allow malformed headers to trigger some code execution. That was a result of the players, and the way they handled the mp3 headers, not the mp3 format itself. As far as I know, all those players have been patched, so that particular bug is no longer present
Since mp3 files contain no executable code, it's extremely unlikely that anyone could receive a virus from one, since there's nothing in an mp3 file that is treated as executable code, and you have to have executable code for viruses to exist/spread, so I'd have to agree on this one that downloading mp3 files by themselves poses zero threat to anyone.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018, Hope Williamson via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi, it's probably not possible to get a virus downloading from Youtube
itself. It may be possible though, depending on the converter you're using
to download/convert the video to mp3 format.
You said it is possible to get a virus or malware downloading
from Youtube.  Do you mean possible or impossible?  For that
matter, if you would be infected by downloading, which I really
doubt, why couldn't you be infected by playing the file from the
site?  For reasons I stated in my previous message, I really
doubt you can be infected by downloading from Youtube.

Gene

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Using “what you hear” or whatever it’s called in Goldwave is
definitely a neat trick and can certainly be really helpful.

The OP asked for a programme so I assumed he wasn’t talking about a
web browser. Surprised noone’s mentioned Soulseek yet, so I’ll mention
it now. Unfortunately the QT version, the only one being updated,
doesn’t seem very accessible from my standpoint, although apparently
some people have gotten it to work with NVDA…

I use GoldWave to record songs, that way I can listen to the song as I
rrecord it.  Also you don’t get any virus or trash that is in the
music information such as author, extra url of ads etc…

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

hi group
which is the best and most accessible program for windows pc to
downlode mp3 files using NVDA?
thank u

kerryn

[icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]

Ervin, Glenn

The problem exists with Microsoft not showing file extensions by default, and if this is not turned on, folks don't know if it is an MP3 file or an executable file.
I can't imagine using a computer without file extensions being in the filename.
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 5:17 PM

Several years ago, there was a bug in some mp3 players that would allow malformed headers to trigger some code execution. That was a result of the players, and the way they handled the mp3 headers, not the mp3 format itself. As far as I know, all those players have been patched, so that particular bug is no longer present Since mp3 files contain no executable code, it's extremely unlikely that anyone could receive a virus from one, since there's nothing in an mp3 file that is treated as executable code, and you have to have executable code for viruses to exist/spread, so I'd have to agree on this one that downloading mp3 files by themselves poses zero threat to anyone.

Hi, it's probably not possible to get a virus downloading from Youtube
itself. It may be possible though, depending on the converter you're
using to download/convert the video to mp3 format.

You said it is possible to get a virus or malware downloading
from Youtube.  Do you mean possible or impossible?  For that
matter, if you would be infected by downloading, which I really
doubt, why couldn't you be infected by playing the file from the
site?  For reasons I stated in my previous message, I really
doubt you can be infected by downloading from Youtube.

Gene

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Using “what you hear” or whatever it’s called in Goldwave is
definitely a neat trick and can certainly be really helpful.

The OP asked for a programme so I assumed he wasn’t talking about a
web browser. Surprised noone’s mentioned Soulseek yet, so I’ll mention
it now. Unfortunately the QT version, the only one being updated,
doesn’t seem very accessible from my standpoint, although apparently
some people have gotten it to work with NVDA…

I use GoldWave to record songs, that way I can listen to the song as I
rrecord it.  Also you don’t get any virus or trash that is in the
music information such as author, extra url of ads etc…

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

hi group

which is the best and most accessible program for windows pc to
downlode mp3 files using NVDA?

thank u

kerryn

[icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]

Kevin <kleeva5@...>

But the location you download from can give you a virus can’t it?

Isn’t that what that popup that says message you’re your computer has a virus call us and we’ll help you remove it, if you don’t we’ll be forced to erase your computer as to not infect our system…  or something like that.  And that popup doesn’t go away even if you exit your browser and re enter it!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 3:16 PM

Several years ago, there was a bug in some mp3 players that would allow

malformed headers to trigger some code execution.  That was a result of

the players, and the way they handled the mp3 headers, not the mp3 format

itself.  As far as I know, all those players have been patched, so that

particular bug is no longer present

Since mp3 files contain no executable code, it's extremely unlikely that

anyone could receive a virus from one, since there's nothing in an mp3

file that is treated as executable code, and you have to have executable

code for viruses to exist/spread, so I'd have to agree on this one that

downloading mp3 files by themselves poses zero threat to anyone.

>

> Hi, it's probably not possible to get a virus downloading from Youtube

> itself. It may be possible though, depending on the converter you're using

> to download/convert the video to mp3 format.

>

>

> On 8/24/2018 7:25 PM, Gene wrote:

>       You said it is possible to get a virus or malware downloading

>       from Youtube.  Do you mean possible or impossible?  For that

>       matter, if you would be infected by downloading, which I really

>       doubt, why couldn't you be infected by playing the file from the

>       site?  For reasons I stated in my previous message, I really

>       doubt you can be infected by downloading from Youtube.

>  

> Gene

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Kevin

> Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 8:34 PM

> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

> Subject: Re: [nvda] downloding MP3 FILES

>

> It’s called WASAPI,, record the sound your speakers outputs

>

>  

>

> It is possible to get a virus or malware downloading fron youtube

>

>  

>

> E-mail is golden!!!

> Kevin Lee

>

>  

>

> From: JM Casey

> Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 6:17 PM

>

>  

>

> Using “what you hear” or whatever it’s called in Goldwave is

> definitely a neat trick and can certainly be really helpful.

>

>  

>

> You can’t really get a virus from an mp3 though.

>

>  

>

> The OP asked for a programme so I assumed he wasn’t talking about a

> web browser. Surprised noone’s mentioned Soulseek yet, so I’ll mention

> it now. Unfortunately the QT version, the only one being updated,

> doesn’t seem very accessible from my standpoint, although apparently

> some people have gotten it to work with NVDA…

>

>  

>

>  

>

>  

>

> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin

> Sent: August 24, 2018 9:08 PM

>

>  

>

> I use GoldWave to record songs, that way I can listen to the song as I

> rrecord it.  Also you don’t get any virus or trash that is in the

> music information such as author, extra url of ads etc…

>

>  

>

> E-mail is golden!!!

> Kevin Lee

>

>  

>

> From: Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io

> Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 10:44 AM

> Subject: [nvda] downloding MP3 FILES