Howard

Tyler Spivey

No.

On 8/25/2018 5:06 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
and possibly display in Braille.  I'm wondering if NVDA will run under
DOS?  I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22.  If not, I do have
others here that will run.

Isaac <bigikemusic@...>

probably have to use vocalizer for dos or jaws for dos. Or you could run a windows machine with dos box.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tyler Spivey" <tspivey@pcdesk.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 7:16 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Reader under DOS

No.
On 8/25/2018 5:06 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under
DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have
others here that will run.

Sky Mundell

Actually you got the name wrong. Its name is Vocal-eyes, not Vocalizer

probably have to use vocalizer for dos or jaws for dos. Or you could run a
windows machine with dos box.
On 8/25/2018 5:06 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under
DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have
others here that will run.

Antony Stone

As others have said, no way will NVDA run without Windows, but I'm curious
about why you want to build a DOS machine anyway?

What do you plan to do with it?

Antony.

On Sunday 26 August 2018 at 02:06:06, Howard Traxler wrote:

I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk and
possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under DOS? I
think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have others here
that will run.

Thanks.
Howard
--
"640 kilobytes (of RAM) should be enough for anybody."

- Bill Gates

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

but don't you still need to run a screen reader for dos box?

I haven't used dos in so long things may have changed

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tyler Spivey" <tspivey@pcdesk.net>

.
--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Angelo Sonnesso

You could always use a copy of the ASAP screen reader.

73 N2DYN Angelo

As others have said, no way will NVDA run without Windows, but I'm curious
about why you want to build a DOS machine anyway?

What do you plan to do with it?

Antony.

On Sunday 26 August 2018 at 02:06:06, Howard Traxler wrote:

I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under
DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have
others here that will run.

Thanks.
Howard
--
"640 kilobytes (of RAM) should be enough for anybody."

- Bill Gates

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC
me.

Felix G.

Hi!
DosBox itself will not speak unless you run a DOS screen reader inside
of it. A complete setup including three DOS screen readers can be
downloaded from:
http://batsupport.com/unsupported/dosbox/
It was created to be able to run old games, so if that's your idea,
this is the way to go.
Best,
Felix
Am So., 26. Aug. 2018 um 10:27 Uhr schrieb The Wolf <hank.smith966@gmail.com>:

but don't you still need to run a screen reader for dos box?

I haven't used dos in so long things may have changed

On 8/25/2018 10:30 PM, Isaac wrote:
probably have to use vocalizer for dos or jaws for dos. Or you could
run a windows machine with dos box.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tyler Spivey" <tspivey@pcdesk.net>
On 8/25/2018 5:06 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under
DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have
others here that will run.

.
--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Actually, if you really mean dos and not an emulated dos then no. As nvda requires the resources of the windows nt shell.

However Hal for dos was still available but you do need a hardware synth for it as I do not know of any sound card with dos drivers that such old code might be able to use. Could one ask what the point of this retro system might be. Its not April 1st yet?
Maybe you need Linux.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have others here that will run.

Thanks.
Howard

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Its probably going to be sold o the British Government its about their level of IT understanding. :-)
[...]

The point is that as far as I am aware nobody built in any kind of support for sound cards for a dos machine, only external synths. This was due to the slower processors and lack of memory, remember only 640k of ram was available, most higher amounts were paged into the standard address space like in the old home computers of the 80s did to get more memory. Doing this involved a lot of code to operate the hardware paging and allow access of code into pages which normally shared the same address space, slowing things down a lot due to having to store the registers and stacks and then do the switch etc. It was a nightmare. Nurse the screens!

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

On 8/25/2018 5:06 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under
DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have
others here that will run.

.
--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Arno Schuh

Hi,

the only screenreaders I surely know that run under DOS used external devices to speak.
I never run Jaws for DOS, but probably JfD was able to use a build-in soundcard to speech. In the past Jaws for DOS was available for free from the download area (of HJ, not sure if it still was available from FS and todays distributer).
If you try to setup such an old screenreader on a modern computer I suppose the biggest problem would be the soundcard. As said before, I never used Jaws for DOS, and so I don't know if Jaws requires a specific type of soundcards.
I remember that some screenreaders for DOS I tested in DOS times needs i. e. soundcards from creative Labs like SoundBlaster Pro (the TalkingBlaster screenreader comes to mind).
Soundcards from other manifactures at last have to run in a legacy mode that comes close to the SB specifications.

Greetings

Arno

Am Sonntag, 26. August 2018 02:06 schrieb Howard Traxler <howard@traxlerenterprises.com>:

I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run
under DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do
have others here that will run.

Thanks.
Howard

Gene

Devices like the Braille 'N Speak have the ability to accept output from a lot of screen-readers.  I don't know what newer note takers can do  They may no longer accommodate DOS screen-readers.

I seem to vaguely remember some way to get ASAP to work with at least some Windows sound cards in the command prompt but I have no idea if the method applies now or to what you are doing.  You may want to look up the subject.

<howard@...>:

> I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
> and possibly display in Braille.  I'm wondering if NVDA will run
> under DOS?  I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22.  If not, I do
> have others here that will run.
>
> Thanks.
> Howard

No, nvda is not a dos machine.

There is a way to get nvda working in dosbox however.

On 8/26/2018 12:06 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have others here that will run.

Thanks.
Howard

Well if you really want to use old dos, you could run a 32 bit version of windows either a vm or a full version on a system as long as you realise it will only see the first 4gb of ram, you don't need that much in dos though though.

On 8/26/2018 5:30 PM, Isaac wrote:
probably have to use vocalizer for dos or jaws for dos.  Or you could run a windows machine with dos box.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tyler Spivey" <tspivey@pcdesk.net>
On 8/25/2018 5:06 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under
DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have
others here that will run.

.

It may be better to get a system build it with linux, ubuntu mate or sonar gnu which is arch, load dosbox and run it in ssh mode or dosemu in ssh mode.

dosemu is a really old thing but you can run it in linux easily enough.

Running a 32 bit windows you can play games on dos with it not at the old speeds of a 386 processer but good enough.

On 8/26/2018 8:21 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
As others have said, no way will NVDA run without Windows, but I'm curious
about why you want to build a DOS machine anyway?

What do you plan to do with it?

Antony.

On Sunday 26 August 2018 at 02:06:06, Howard Traxler wrote:

I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk and
possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under DOS? I
think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have others here
that will run.

Thanks.
Howard

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

There's a version of DosBox that some people made, called Talking Dos Box. It comes with a few screen-readers and one of them is jAWS for Dos. I haven't tried it at all, though.

[...]

Ervin, Glenn

Jaws For Dos did with SmoothTalker, using the SoundBlaster soundcard.
It was not a reliable screenreader, I think the aforementioned memory issues were the problem.
Glenn

On 8/25/2018 5:06 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under
DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have
others here that will run.

.
--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Well, I think I can use vocal-eyes or jaws for dos or soft vert with one of those decTalk boards or and echo plus or lite talk. I'll just have to find a system board that has an ISA slot. I have a few 386 machines that'll do it.

Jaws For Dos did with SmoothTalker, using the SoundBlaster soundcard.
It was not a reliable screenreader, I think the aforementioned memory issues were the problem.
Glenn

On 8/25/2018 5:06 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I'm going to build a DOS machine and will, of course, need it to talk
and possibly display in Braille. I'm wondering if NVDA will run under
DOS? I think I'll probably use DOS version 6.22. If not, I do have
others here that will run.

.
--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Ervin, Glenn

I wish someone would make a little box with an ISA slot in it, with a UsB cable, so we could use those old internal synths.
Glenn