strange behavior with add on updater

Tony Ballou

Howdy,

The latest version of the add on updater came out yesterday. When I
check the option to install it, the only button that shows up is a close
button.   I went through the dialog box, and the only things that are in
there are the checkbox to select the update and the close button.
What's up with that, where's the install button for the darn thing?
Slightly perplexed.

Tony

Ian Westerland

Hi Tony. I was about to write to the list on the same subject. At first I wondered if there was some kind of bug when the notification appeared several hours apart but I am convinced it isn't a bug.

Looking forward to the answer and a possible remedy.

Ian Westerland

On 8/27/2018 1:40 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
Howdy,
The latest version of the add on updater came out yesterday. When I
check the option to install it, the only button that shows up is a close
button.   I went through the dialog box, and the only things that are in
there are the checkbox to select the update and the close button.
What's up with that, where's the install button for the darn thing?
Slightly perplexed.
Tony

Andy

When i launched NVDA yesterday the update dialogue came up and i had no problem installing the update.

Andy

Hi Tony. I was about to write to the list on the same subject. At
first I wondered if there was some kind of bug when the notification
appeared several hours apart but I am convinced it isn't a bug.

Looking forward to the answer and a possible remedy.

Ian Westerland

On 8/27/2018 1:40 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
Howdy,

The latest version of the add on updater came out yesterday. When I
check the option to install it, the only button that shows up is a close
button. I went through the dialog box, and the only things that are in
there are the checkbox to select the update and the close button.
What's up with that, where's the install button for the darn thing?
Slightly perplexed.

Tony

Ian Westerland

Hello Andy. I had the same issue Tony reported and am glad it installed for you. This is the first time I have had any trouble. No doubt all will be revealed.

Ian Westerland

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Westerland" <iwesterl@...>
Hi Tony.  I was about to write to the list on the same subject.  At
first I wondered if there was some kind of bug when the notification
appeared several hours apart but I am convinced it isn't a bug.
Looking forward to the answer and a possible remedy.
Ian Westerland
On 8/27/2018 1:40 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
Howdy,

The latest version of the add on updater came out yesterday. When I
check the option to install it, the only button that shows up is a close
button. I went through the dialog box, and the only things that are in
there are the checkbox to select the update and the close button.
What's up with that, where's the install button for the darn thing?
Slightly perplexed.

Tony

Hi,
And the solution has been revealed in the form of Revision A for August 25th snapshot, with the bug caused by a wxPython attribute that isn't available in NVDA 2018.2.1. I'm about to upload August 27th snapshot that not only includes a fix for this (for those who haven't applied revision A), but also will check add-on checkboxes by default so you can update add-ons.
Note that the new build will require manual install for those using August 25th build (not revision A).
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi Tony. I was about to write to the list on the same subject. At
first I wondered if there was some kind of bug when the notification
appeared several hours apart but I am convinced it isn't a bug.

Looking forward to the answer and a possible remedy.

Ian Westerland

On 8/27/2018 1:40 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
Howdy,

The latest version of the add on updater came out yesterday. When I
check the option to install it, the only button that shows up is a
close button. I went through the dialog box, and the only things that
are in there are the checkbox to select the update and the close button.
What's up with that, where's the install button for the darn thing?
Slightly perplexed.

Tony

Ian Westerland

Thank you Joseph. It is a very handy tool and I wouldn't be without it.

Cheers.

Ian

On 8/27/2018 2:08 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Yes when he says manual install, he just means going to the add ons list and selecting get add ons, go to the development add ons, download the latest one and then use your browsers files display for downloads, and run the download. You can do this for every version of nvda you have portable or installed once you download it once of course.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Hi Tony. I was about to write to the list on the same subject. At
first I wondered if there was some kind of bug when the notification
appeared several hours apart but I am convinced it isn't a bug.

Looking forward to the answer and a possible remedy.

Ian Westerland

On 8/27/2018 1:40 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
Howdy,

The latest version of the add on updater came out yesterday. When I
check the option to install it, the only button that shows up is a
close button. I went through the dialog box, and the only things that
are in there are the checkbox to select the update and the close button.
What's up with that, where's the install button for the darn thing?
Slightly perplexed.

Tony

Brian's Mail list account

Its not there as yet though.
Brian off thataway.
[...]

Brice Mijares

The same happened to me yesterday, and again this morning.

On 8/26/2018 8:44 PM, Ian Westerland wrote:
Hi Tony.  I was about to write to the list on the same subject.  At first I wondered if there was some kind of bug when the notification appeared several hours apart but I am convinced it isn't a bug.
Looking forward to the answer and a possible remedy.
Ian Westerland
On 8/27/2018 1:40 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
Howdy,

The latest version of the add on updater came out yesterday. When I
check the option to install it, the only button that shows up is a close
button.   I went through the dialog box, and the only things that are in
there are the checkbox to select the update and the close button.
What's up with that, where's the install button for the darn thing?
Slightly perplexed.

Tony

Brice Mijares

Is the manual install located at NVDA Community Add-ons website , if so, I didn't find it.

On 8/26/2018 9:08 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

As the add-on is under development, you won't find it on the front page - you need to go to "add-ons under development" section.
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi Tony. I was about to write to the list on the same subject. At
first I wondered if there was some kind of bug when the notification
appeared several hours apart but I am convinced it isn't a bug.

Looking forward to the answer and a possible remedy.

Ian Westerland

On 8/27/2018 1:40 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
Howdy,

The latest version of the add on updater came out yesterday. When I
check the option to install it, the only button that shows up is a
close button. I went through the dialog box, and the only things
that are in there are the checkbox to select the update and the close button.
What's up with that, where's the install button for the darn thing?
Slightly perplexed.

Tony

Kwork

It's under the Add-ons under development link:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/dev.en.html

On 8/27/2018 7:27 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
[...]

No did you read what was said. Its the add ons manager in nvda which alloows manual download and install.
[...]

This evening when I launched NVDA 2018.2.1 and Add-On Updater popped up, indicating that it had an update for itself, it was impossible to interact with the checkbox, even using a mouse, and thus the update could not be completed.  I had to cancel out of the Add-On Updater dialog.

           ~ Bertrand Russell